U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,068,728 times

Advertisements

So on forums people often ask for breed suggestions. Even though I already have dogs I would like to do the same. Find out what other people think would fit my breed needs. It will be interesting to see and who knows I might end up with a suggested breed I've never thought of that would work pretty good for me.

*I have a lot of dog experience, raising, training, showing. I know some breeds are not good for first timers, which I'm not.

*Medium to large size I don't want a mini or toy breed.

*Doesn't drool or at least only minimal, like slobbery after drinking water is ok but not a constant icky drool.

*Doesn't have wrinkled skin, like the Shar Pei or Neo, I don't want wrinkles that need to be cleaned, need special treatment or can cause skin problems. Thats a lot of work in some cases.

*Low grooming level, I don't want a breed that needs regular cuts and trims. A short coat, low maintenance coat, don't mind brushing and caring for it, but want a breed that is typically low shedding.

*I can handle a dominant breed, but don't need a dominant breed, just don't count them out.

*I don't mind a breed with a high prey drive. Doesn't need to get along with other animals.

*I can handle a breed that is dog aggressive and deal with that.

*Would like a breed that is moderately easy to train, I can deal with one that needs a lot of training and different training methods. One who is smart and gets bored of redundant training, but don't want an outright independent and stubborn breed. That frustrates me a little bit.

*I have a lot of land and some privacy being in the country. If a non wanderer can have some free roam, a dog that needs it a fence and one that needs it a tie out. Most outings will be supervised or with the family, but in some cases the dog will get their own outdoor dog break/potty break.

*One that is athletic and won't mind some long walks, runs or swims.

*A guardian breed is ok, but this is not a must. I do like a lot of the breeds which fall into this category.

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:12 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,495,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
So on forums people often ask for breed suggestions. Even though I already have dogs I would like to do the same. Find out what other people think would fit my breed needs. It will be interesting to see and who knows I might end up with a suggested breed I've never thought of that would work pretty good for me.

*I have a lot of dog experience, raising, training, showing. I know some breeds are not good for first timers, which I'm not.

*Doesn't drool or at least only minimal, like slobbery after drinking water is ok but not a constant icky drool.

*Doesn't have wrinkled skin, like the Shar Pei or Neo, I don't want wrinkles that need to be cleaned, need special treatment or can cause skin problems. Thats a lot of work in some cases.

*Low grooming level, I don't want a breed that needs regular cuts and trims. A short coat, low maintenance coat, don't mind brushing and caring for it, but want a breed that is typically low shedding.

*I can handle a dominant breed, but don't need a dominant breed, just don't count them out.

*I don't mind a breed with a high prey drive. Doesn't need to get along with other animals.

*Would like a breed that is moderately easy to train, I can deal with one that needs a lot of training and different training methods. One who is smart and gets bored of redundant training, but don't want an outright independent and stubborn breed. That frustrates me a little bit.

*I have a lot of land and some privacy being in the country. If a non wanderer can have some free roam, a dog that needs it a fence and one that needs it a tie out. Most outings will be supervised or with the family, but in some cases the dog will get their own outdoor dog break/potty break.

*A guardian breed is ok, but this is not a must. I do like a lot of the breeds which fall into this category.

So what do you think?
a aussie ..minimal hair care even though it's beautiful.
easy to please, high prey drive, learn quick. fun stuff!
I think everyone should own one!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:22 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,068,728 times
Aussie as in Australian Shepherd?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,579,301 times
everything fits.....except the coat......an American Eskimo......used to be a German Spitz......the dog that rode the ponies in Ringling Brothers Circus in the 50's.....BIGGEST flirt in all of dawgdom.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM

168 posts, read 1,077,658 times
Black Russian Terrier, but cannot be tied out. Wants to be part of the family all the time.

Very low shedding (hair, not fur), does have guarding instincts, large (80-140 pounds), very intelligent, low prey drive (= not a wanderer), very loyal, athletic,
gets along with small pets but not necessarily great with other large dogs, very mellow early on (does not have a 2-3 year "puppyhood").

One downside: very expensive as there are only a few breeders in the U.S. Became AKC recognized in 2004 so not many out there in the U.S.

Another breed: Rhodesian Ridgeback, although this dog does have a high prey drive (and therefore will take off after a squirrel or whatever), and also can be highly independent and stubborn. Absolutely loyal to owner once trained well and as long as you have established dominance. Very sensitive--does not respond well to any sort of hitting or yelling or harsh training methods.

But for everything you said? BRT.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM

273 posts, read 1,214,037 times
Doberman for the win

get a boy though not a girl if you dont want stubborness.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM

216 posts, read 734,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post

So what do you think?
Sorry, but if someone were looking for a dog and was to tell me all of that...I would have to come up with an ABPT! Second to that...maybe a Rottie.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:08 PM

273 posts, read 1,214,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Five View Post
Sorry, but if someone were looking for a dog and was to tell me all of that...I would have to come up with an ABPT! Second to that...maybe a Rottie.

I was avoiding saying ABPT b/c she already has those, but as for Rottie, I've never met a Rottie that didnt constantly slobber all day long. Then again most people let their rotties get 30 lbs overweight and out of shape.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM

216 posts, read 734,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
I was avoiding saying ABPT b/c she already has those, but as for Rottie, I've never met a Rottie that didnt constantly slobber all day long. Then again most people let their rotties get 30 lbs overweight and out of shape.
A friend of mine has two fine looking rotties, I don't find them particularly slobbery (that makes me think of bloodhounds but I guess they're the extreme).

Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,734,604 times
Border Collie should win this hands down They are most certainly easy to train!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs