U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 AM

4,558 posts, read 12,100,845 times

Advertisements

While out and about a couple days ago, I met a Black Russian Terrier, the first I've seen. My first thought was WOW a giant schnauzer or a Bouvier, breeds which I very seldom see in any case. Can anyone give me info on the temperment on the Black Russian? My standard poodle is getting up in the years, and we've been thinking of another dog for the family and I love the temperments of the Bouv's and Giant Schnauzers that I've known in the past.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
American Kennel Club - Black Russian Terrier Thats really the first source you should look at, then look for BRT clubs too.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 AM

Thank you Brian. I have the AKC bible here at home, but was looking for real-like experience from those familiar with them. Also wondering if people have seen a change in the breed since the gestapo AKC took them over (more back yard breeders, showing up in pet stores, health issues, etc) Unfortunately AKC isn't a mark of quality (they like to refer to themselves as "a registration similar to the state registry of motor vehicles" although they do hold the breed standards, approve judges, shows, etc. Thanks for sharing the link tho

Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM

321 posts, read 1,421,544 times
With them being a rare breed, it is very unlikely that you will find them in the hands of backyard breeders or pet stores -- at least not for a long time unless and until they see a huge gain in popularity. The AKC link should provide you with information about the parent club, and that's where you'll need to concentrate your research. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM

321 posts, read 1,421,544 times
Forgot to mention that I usually see them at dog shows, so if you have one coming up in your area, that would be an excellent place to make contact with owners/breeders.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 AM

That's what we thought about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels also...

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 AM

969 posts, read 2,519,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Can anyone give me info on the temperment on the Black Russian?
I understand they are quite sharp - Breed Clubs are a good place to go for information (good AND bad) about a particular breed:

Home (http://brtca.org/default.htm - broken link)

Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM

168 posts, read 1,079,648 times
I just stumbled on this thread. We have a Black Russian Terrier. It's funny b/c no one knows what they are, but we get tons of compliments! As was said, I don't think there are backyard breeders yet. For one thing, most people don't even know about this breed, so there's not a huge demand for them in this country....yet! There are only a few breeders in the U.S. and some of them are still getting their breeding dogs from Russian or Finland.

The temperment...well, I'll tell you why we have one....
-They shed very little (they have hair, not fur...so they are what many consider "non-shedding" although technically there is no such thing as "non shedding"). They need clipping about every 3 months so they don't get matted. You can keep their hair long, or clip it all off...whichever you prefer.
-They are very calm at a young age. Whereas many large breed dogs are in the jumpy, crazy stage for 2-3 years, the BRT is pretty mellow by about 6 months. This was important to us as we have young kids and did not want a large (or even medium) dog jumping on them for the next couple of years.
-They are very loyal and partial to their family. They bond deeply with their family, usually having a favorite within the family but loving the entire family. They don't ever fully warm up to people outside their family. They are perfectly fine with other people being around, but they aren't labs--they aren't showing their affection to to others like some breeds
-They do have a guarding instinct. This does not mean they are aggressive, but they will most likely defend you if your life is ever in danger. As with any guarding breed, this means you need to socialize early and extensively so that they understand it's OK to have different situations and people around.
-I don't think they are known for being particularly dominant. We have a male, and he's not showing dominant tendencies at all. He basically wants to please, and doesn't challenge. Whcih leads to the next thing: they are really easy to train. Apparently they do very well in obedience and agility, although I haven't done either.
-They do not have a high prey drive...this means they won't really chase your cat or go darting off after squirrels. They also won't nip at your heels (after about 6 months).
-They know their "territory", meaning they really don't wander off. They aren't getting lured away by that squirrel, and they like hanging around home. We don't ever leave our BRT outside unattended, but when he wanders out he really doesn't go anywhere..just sits down and hangs out or rolls around out front.

I don't know--maybe that's too much "technical" info. I can tell you that we chose this breed sight unseen based on tons of research online and have not been disappointed. This is a very popular breed in Russia (in apartments, in the country...they are very adaptable) as well as Finland and I have no doubt it will be here as well. MANY people ask about our BRT and I know a couple of people who are planning to get one.

Because there aren't many breeders in the U.S., and the breeders which are here typically only breed once a year, you may have to wait...unless you happen to get lucky!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 AM

Thank you Strawberry! Lots of great info, exactly what I was looking for. I've had and shown German Shepherds, been a vet tech in a "former life" and have lots of training experience, and saw my first Black Russian just a couple of weeks ago (like I said in the first post, I thought it was a badly groomed giant schnauzer or a bouvier, very similar. This was a very cool dog, completely comfortable with himself, didn't fall all over me, but tolerated my being there near his family. A thinking dog, which I like. Alot.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM

168 posts, read 1,079,648 times
They are really cool dogs. The price tag isn't so cool , but really this was the ONLY dog I could find which had every single trait I was looking for and we're really happy with him.

Let me know if you have any questions!

BTW, we had a German Shepherd as well--great dog, but I must say I could not do that shedding again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs