Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdweller View Post
I don't remember my old dog being this obstinate with me. I am so depressed this dog will never be like my other dog and I will never have a dog like him again.
Dogs are like snowflakes. No two are the same. Wait until you are ready for a new individual instead of trying to replace a previous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
I just fed the dogs. We have a thing we do after every meal with our dogs. We treat them, but they have to do a rundown of all their commands. It's a very sweet thing to watch -- except when I try to do it with Karma. She won't come near me, not even to get her treat. I will say, "DOWN", and she will lie down from across the room. She just won't come near me, and I can't figure it out.

I am giving her time. I know with enough unconditional love from me, she will grow out of this. She was this way when we got her. Heaven knows what our rescues have been through before they come to us. Be patient.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
I'm so sorry about the passing of your beloved dog.
Some people need less time to grieve, and some need more. It doesn't sound like you gave yourself enough time.

Quote:
this dog will never be like my other dog and I will never have a dog like him again
The above is sooooo true. I think once you understand and accept your comment above... you and your new dog may have a chance.

Good luck. ((hugs))

Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdweller View Post
.I am so depressed this dog will never be like my other dog and I will never have a dog like him again.
There is no dog on the planet that will ever ever ever be like your other dog. Believe it or not, some will be actually better than your former dog in some ways. Let go of the thought that you can reincarnate your dog and open your heart and mind to this one.

I feel sad for the new dog (and a little sad for you too).

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
I am upset that some people responded and blamed the owner for the dog's behavior. If the dog doesn't work for you, get a different one. You are not married to this animal; it's just a pet.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
To the OP I suggest your find a home for the dog, you are just not ready for a new companion it sounds like nor committed.

As prior posters have stated every dog is different and until you recognize that no dog is going to work for you. In the mean time to get your dog fix try doing some volunteer work with a rescue or something like that to be around a lot of different dogs and help you along your way.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I am upset that some people responded and blamed the owner for the dog's behavior. If the dog doesn't work for you, get a different one. You are not married to this animal; it's just a pet.
WOW. In our home, our pets are FAMILY. They are living and breathing beings. We VALUE their lives.

For the record, I don't blame the owner OR the dog.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Neither do I. It's not about anyone being to blame. It's just a situation that isn't ideal, but might work out given a little more time.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Op, the peeps on this thread are pretty smart!

Comparing dogs...you can't. They will never be the same. Like people.

When my dog died and I was left with my younger one, I had some pretty awful thoughts...like why did Rio have to go and I was left with Shiner?

Well, Rio was almost 11, and Shiner barely 4, and that is simply life...and it was terrible that every time I was reminded that Shiner was not Rio or not as smart or not as connected or intuitive, etc, I would talk down about Shiner.

Meanwhile, everyone else is like, "My, god! What a great dog you have!!!!" Tons of people. Strangers on the street. And all I could do is be baffled and say, "The really awesome one died."

It was idiotic, op. Of course, I was just mourning my best friend of 11 years whom I had known from a little 5 week pup...my best friend for most of my adult life. I am crying now just typing this.

No one will ever be Rio just like no one will be your dog, but don't let that make you miss what might be wonderful in its own way right under your nose.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I'm glad your thread title didn't read, "I got a dog, and I ate him."
OMG, I thought the same thing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs