U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,970,666 times

Advertisements

In the past, I've cut the pills into pieces and "hidden" them in her food. She usually finds them and leaves them uneaten in the bowl. I've smothered them in peanut butter and spooned it into her mouth----a messy process.

I finally got smart and coated them in peanut butter and then sandwiched them into a small piece of soft bread. Works like a charm---pills are gone in seconds and no mess.

Just posting in case this is helpful to anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM

760 posts, read 2,045,314 times
Tried it when giving my boy his comfortis..........didn't work. He wouldn't even open his mouth. I even spread chicken bouillon paste on the top. Nope. What did work was that the comfortis was pasted firmly on the bread and didn't dissolve into little chunks that he would spit out.

What is in the comfortis that you can't disguise the smell of?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,753,827 times
It's easy to give pills, even the big antibiotic tabs, to Nanners because she's so big and is such a ravenous pig. Whatever I toss at her she snaps it in mid-air and swallows with out chewing. Makes things easy for me.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,129,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
In the past, I've cut the pills into pieces and "hidden" them in her food. She usually finds them and leaves them uneaten in the bowl. I've smothered them in peanut butter and spooned it into her mouth----a messy process.

I finally got smart and coated them in peanut butter and then sandwiched them into a small piece of soft bread. Works like a charm---pills are gone in seconds and no mess.

Just posting in case this is helpful to anyone!
That's pretty good.

Another trick is to get some wet food they like and form a meatball around the pill.

Unless the dog does not ravenously snarf meatballs, any pill in that setting becomes immediate collateral damage.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,017,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's easy to give pills, even the big antibiotic tabs, to Nanners because she's so big and is such a ravenous pig. Whatever I toss at her she snaps it in mid-air and swallows with out chewing. Makes things easy for me.
Labs are wonderful that way aren't they? LOL I give Bella meds 2X a day. Small strip of american cheese, sandwich pills in cheese, present to Bella, gone.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,783,117 times
I would not let her see me with the pills. Then I would cut up several small pieces of hot dog and put pills in some and some not. After she "checked the first 2 pieces of hot dog and found no pills I would give her the last ones with the pills. She swallowed them so fast at that point she never knew they had pills in them. Livermush works good too and my vet said not to grind up the pills.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Im with crestliner, the hotdog method always work for me. Especially with my shih tzu, he swallows first and worries whether that was food or not later.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM

11,159 posts, read 20,444,227 times
I have one who will eat anything, including a pill that gets dropped on the ground. My other one is very suspicious of pills, I usually have to cut a piece of chicken and stuff the pill inside, then hold his snout shut for a while, otherwise he will eat the chicken and spit out the pill.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM

298 posts, read 602,426 times
Having 3 big dogs makes it pretty easy since each one want whatever Momma's got and wants to keep it away from the siblings! Anything squished in soft bread is gone in an instant. The only trick is getting the correct pill in the right dog

Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,678,957 times
I've had good luck with pill pockets, but all of my dogs act like ravenous beasts that don't question any food that comes their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs