U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,321,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake, don't be so gullible; she might not know plus as much as she is an animal lover, she is human. I am sure, if she knew she would not, but don't ask, don't tell might be her approach. As for whether they are black market or not, I have no idea. I do know we have gotten preventive meds from them that were outdated. Our vet simply matches the price pet meds gives us...it works for us and we don't have to wonder about freshness. The last stuff we got was old, the vet replaced it...
Holy smokes. From everyone chiming in about how their vet price matches and what not, I think I need to start shopping around for a new vet. My vet would laugh me out of her vet clinic if I asked her to price match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,321,921 times
Heck, my vet still uses snail mail to send documents like shot records or even a photo copied picture pet I.d. One time I asked her to email me estimates on my dogs toe surgery and I think she was about to ask me what an email was. Ugh. Its so hard to find a good vet these days. Hey thanks every one for the responses about 800-pet meds. Much appreciated.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,416,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake, don't be so gullible; she might not know plus as much as she is an animal lover, she is human. I am sure, if she knew she would not, but don't ask, don't tell might be her approach. As for whether they are black market or not, I have no idea. I do know we have gotten preventive meds from them that were outdated. Our vet simply matches the price pet meds gives us...it works for us and we don't have to wonder about freshness. The last stuff we got was old, the vet replaced it...

'Twas just a joke, my dear.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Holy smokes. From everyone chiming in about how their vet price matches and what not, I think I need to start shopping around for a new vet. My vet would laugh me out of her vet clinic if I asked her to price match.
Yep. The markup on pet meds is tremendous. On a lot of stuff you are a captive audience and simply have to accept whatever it is they are handing out in times of illness, or maybe you can get them to write an equivalent "people" Rx and fill it at your local pharmacy. I know Kroger is now handling flea/tick/heartworm meds. Anyone know how their price stacks up?

I guess I don't understand the thought behind a vet NOT price matching, or at least trying to get in the ballpark. It would cost me $160/mo. if I bought my meds through my vet - I can get them elsewhere for about $65 (but I have a lot of dogs). Seems to me that the vets should at least be willing to split it down the middle for those of us who do our due diligence and aren't going to pay the jacked up price. If my vet charged $85/mo., I'd probably suck up the extra $20 just to give him my business. Of course, you don't need a prescription for flea/tick unless it is in a combo med. I'm all about supporting my veterinarian, I adore him - but there's a limit to everything.

In the case of those giving combo meds, it's my understanding that some states require a veterinarian to give you a written prescription upon request, and other states are sorta wishy-washy about it. Know the law in your state and stick to your guns if you need a prescription. As far as simply the flea/tick meds, my vet will need to come to the party and do some version of price matching or lose a revenue stream - I simply cannot afford his regular price. Maybe with 1 dog, but not with 7.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Sam, sorry to be so uninformed but what do you mean by combo-meds? What combinations are there with flea and tick preventative? Is it possible to find one med for fleas-ticks and heartworms?Thank you.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Trifexis is the newest combo med for flea/HW/intestinal parasites (roundworm, hookworm, whipworm). It does not cover tapes or ticks. Sentinel (oral), Advantage Multi, and Revolution (topical) cover HW and fleas as well. It's my understanding that it's the HW med that you need the Rx for, and rightfully so - every dog should be tested yearly IMO, regardless of what you've been giving to control heartworms. At least I feel that is so in the South, where heartworms are so very prevalent.

I don't know of anything that covers it all. We don't have the tick problem where I live, but the fleas...goodness....

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
Your Vet lied to you so he can make more profit. 800 pet meds is fine.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,329,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
So at one point I thought about using 1800-pet meds. My vet basically told me not to go to them for meds as they are a black market, and if I did, I would have to sign a liability waiver and our relationship (vet/client) maybe severed. Not sure if what they say is actually legit or not. But believing them and not wanting to give my dog black market heart worm meds, I continued going to my vet. Has anyone ever used 800-pet meds? I trust my vets word about what is good and not good for my dog, but sometimes I have to wonder. Any opinions on 800-pet meds would be greatly appreciated.
Your Vet probably did not intend to lie, but did so.

Black Market items are illegal traded items. They can be OEM, adulterer, or counterfeits. No reputable pet pharmacy within the United States is going to risk their license, possible criminal charges and almost certain civil suits by engaging in the purchase of Black Market products.

What your Vet probably meant was Gray Market products. Gray Market products are OEM, but not intended for sale or distribution in the country it's now being sold in. Since they were intended for sale elsewhere, they could be identical to what is being sold (just a pricing policy shift), they could be superior to what is being sold (intended country has stronger pet health regulations and may ban ingredients that the US still allows), or it can be inferior (intended country has little regulations and it may include ingredients banned in the US). In all cases, Gray Market products are OEM products of the manufacture.

The reason Gray Market animal medications are a concern is that the process of distribution opens the supply chain to corruption. As much as 75% of all counterfeit or mirror factory pet medications make their way into the legitimate distribution chain through the process of Gray Market trading. That is why, when dealing with sources that obtains some or all of their product through Gray Market distribution to keep cost low, you run a much greater chance of not getting the OEM product you believe (and marketed to you) that you intended to purchase.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,856,232 times
Just checked petmeds for a medication I recently picked up at the vets. I paid the same price as quoted on petmeds.

Thumbs up for my vet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs