U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,138,864 times

Advertisements

So at one point I thought about using 1800-pet meds. My vet basically told me not to go to them for meds as they are a black market, and if I did, I would have to sign a liability waiver and our relationship (vet/client) maybe severed. Not sure if what they say is actually legit or not. But believing them and not wanting to give my dog black market heart worm meds, I continued going to my vet. Has anyone ever used 800-pet meds? I trust my vets word about what is good and not good for my dog, but sometimes I have to wonder. Any opinions on 800-pet meds would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,830,892 times
I've used them, and I have also used PetMedExpress. We have ordered medications as well as seasonal preventive stuff like Heartguard and Frontline. No problems. I have often wondered if that was just a scare tactic used by vets. Our vet now is very competitive with all the online sources, though, and has a price comparison chart in his office for all the popular heartworm/flea/tick meds.

Go ahead. They're fine.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM

12,665 posts, read 18,899,588 times
I've placed orders with them a couple of times. When they call our vet for prescription confirmation, the vet then calls me and offers to price match. So, I never actually had to go through with the order.

It's quite an eye opener to see the price markup at the vet's office.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,138,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've placed orders with them a couple of times. When they call our vet for prescription confirmation, the vet then calls me and offers to price match. So, I never actually had to go through with the order.

It's quite an eye opener to see the price markup at the vet's office.
I have never thought to price match with my vet. I know when I took my cat in because he had a urinary tract infection, the vet said he will need that Royal Cannin s/o food for the rest of his life. When I asked them if pet smart sold that type of food they looked at me appalled and said " um no...you will need a prescription for this type of food" and left it at that. So, I kind of doubt that they would price match.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 18,906,829 times
there are plenty of "blck market"sellers (ie ebay) but 1800 pet meds isnt one of them...they are safe, bbb acredited ect...
i think whats going on there is your vet wants you spening the money there and not online (alot of a vets profits come rom medications theres a veyr high markup on them!)

personally id tell our vet "price match or sever our reltionship...(as its unliekly theyd be willing to write you scripts to any pharmacy other thn buying it form them) and find a new vet. there trying to block you into a corner.

heck even WALMART is now offering many pet miedcations with a perscription from your vet t a frction of the cost they charge at the vets office...but i doubt your vet would like that either lol

Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM

737 posts, read 2,085,751 times
Have been using 1800petmeds for Heartguard and Frontline for years, no problems. The only problem I ever had was when 1800petmeds tried to get the okie dokie for a prescription eye treatment and the vet would NOT return their calls so they would not fill it. I think 1800petmeds is a good, less expensive alternative to the basics offered at the vet. And they send a little treat, coupons, etc.

I understand the vet's office must stay in business during these very trying times and so I'll support them when needed. But I also have to live through these same trying times and have to get as much bang for my buck as possible.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM

36,325 posts, read 39,684,625 times
I would not continue to do business with anybody who tried strong arm tactics like that. Millions of people have successfully used 1800 petmeds for a long time and believe me if they were selling black market drugs it would be public knowledge by now. He was manipulating you and if he would lie to you about meds, what else would he lie about?

Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM

15,919 posts, read 24,273,649 times
Betty White would never endorse them if they sold black market goodies.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM

4,374 posts, read 9,179,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You tell them Dawn!

I used them at my vets suggestion for one of the meds Dash got as part of his cancer cocktail.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM

66,761 posts, read 76,074,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
oh for heavens sake, don't be so gullible; she might not know plus as much as she is an animal lover, she is human. I am sure, if she knew she would not, but don't ask, don't tell might be her approach. As for whether they are black market or not, I have no idea. I do know we have gotten preventive meds from them that were outdated. Our vet simply matches the price pet meds gives us...it works for us and we don't have to wonder about freshness. The last stuff we got was old, the vet replaced it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or