U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 PM

829 posts, read 6,667,574 times

Advertisements

I do.....LOL

There is 17 more bags in the closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,590,765 times
Was there a special or do you sell them?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM

274 posts, read 913,416 times
doesnt dog food get stale? lol I know I know you have lots of dogs I'm just kidding of course. Question though, what changes have you noticed with the high energy food vs regular food if you have used regular in the past? Does it mean the food gives more calories to sustain the energy or does it mean that its lower in certain calories to keep normally high energy dogs slightly less energetic?

I use Bil-Jac right now and that Purina at almost half the price has been looking quite nice

Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Neither. I wish there was a special!

My in laws are going out of town for almost 3 weeks, normally they pick up the dog food because its easier to load 10 bags in their mini van then in my SUV. So instead of just getting the norm they went ahead and got like 32 bags so make sure we were covered. I'm certain still that it was over kill but at least we will have plenty of extra and not run short.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
doesnt dog food get stale? lol I know I know you have lots of dogs I'm just kidding of course. Question though, what changes have you noticed with the high energy food vs regular food if you have used regular in the past? Does it mean the food gives more calories to sustain the energy or does it mean that its lower in certain calories to keep normally high energy dogs slightly less energetic?

I use Bil-Jac right now and that Purina at almost half the price has been looking quite nice
I guess we were typing at the same time. I'm more worried of what to do to keep the mice from all this extra dog food. I actually feed it to my mice...lol But I don't want to entice any wild mice.

The high energy we feed a ton less. Well I think like a 3rd less. So that was a plus. We have used several of the regular ones. I still use the lamb and rice for my large dogs, including the large breed pups so they don't grow too fast. I also use the senior ultra for the older dogs and as well I still use some regular for the dogs that are either not as high energy or have a lower metabolism.

It has more fat and protein, the protein is important but the fat is even more important. They don't have to be a high energy dog to use it. Some of them have a high metabolism even if they are not hyper. But a lot of my dogs are very high energy. APBTs in many cases need a higher content even if they are not high energy, more fat then protein because too much protein can burn out the kidneys if they don't use it. It is also great for pups, I can feed most of my dogs the same food (with some exceptions) but when I have a pup I don't really need puppy food as it doesn't offer much of anything more then the high energy.

Giving them less calories would mean feeding them more or having a skinny dog.

Bil Jac is supposed to be pretty good from what I hear. I'm not a big Purina fan.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 3,070,939 times
I am sorry I didn't notice when you said this, but how many dogs you have? You sure won't run out of food for a while.Great pics.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 AM

About a lovely dozen and then some. I need to work on finding the drop offs some suitable homes. Not too easy though. I also have a mess of wild cats! I just feed them dog food though. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them, dogs are enough I don't need almost 20 cats. More and more keep coming here, some are purely wild and others have been dumped off too. Stupid owners think "they will find a home with some farmer" I always here people say that. Ok I need to stop ranting...lol

Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 AM

768 posts, read 1,453,517 times
Wow! We buy a lot of dog food but you have us beat hands down, lol. Of course, we don't have a dozen dogs, either.

For the quantity you have, it would take a lot of garbage cans so I don't know that you would want to do this. We fill outdoor, heavy-duty garbage cans (clean, of course, and purchased for this purpose) with dog food and put the lid on to try to keep everything out of it. Sugar ants have been bad in our area so a thick, wide line of Vaseline around the outside top of the can (below the lid) keeps them out. And since the lid has the protruding handles on it, it's still easy to open the can without getting Vaseline all over my hands.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,379,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post

I use purina all the time and dogs do great on it nice healthy no ear or skin infections,healthy weights and still energetic.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Wow! We buy a lot of dog food but you have us beat hands down, lol. Of course, we don't have a dozen dogs, either.

For the quantity you have, it would take a lot of garbage cans so I don't know that you would want to do this. We fill outdoor, heavy-duty garbage cans (clean, of course, and purchased for this purpose) with dog food and put the lid on to try to keep everything out of it. Sugar ants have been bad in our area so a thick, wide line of Vaseline around the outside top of the can (below the lid) keeps them out. And since the lid has the protruding handles on it, it's still easy to open the can without getting Vaseline all over my hands.
I did that when I only used 1 bag a month...lol We just keep it in the closet and its fine. This time we just have a bunch extra. But it is good or best before January 2009 and we will certainly use it before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I use purina all the time and dogs do great on it nice healthy no ear or skin infections,healthy weights and still energetic.
Some dogs can eat certain foods that others can't. If I feed mine any lower quality then they don't do well on it. Some could take a little bit lower others would do pretty bad.
Some dogs are also prone to allergies, some dogs can only eat a certain dog food. Even a high quality dog food of a certain brand one dog might be sensitive too.

Purina has different lines of food though don't they? Some are lower quality and some are higher quality.

I looked at Purina Pro Plan which I think is supposed to be their best one, I looked at the Natural one and it was actually ok. The ingredients were pretty good. Dog Chow I remember was horrible.

I had someone that always fed this and then they watch one of the dogs and gave her that. His dogs always had loose stool and then she got it and they pooped so many times a day it was gross.

The Purina One was pretty good too. I've noticed that they don't match up in % so it wouldn't be too smart for me to get a food that is the same cost and have to feed more. Thats why I can't feed it.
Even their HiPro which is suppose to be a high energy formula only has 15% fat. My dogs would drop so much weight or I'd have to feed a bunch more.

I do know one dog that was on Dog Chow and she looked good. Nice coat, decent tone, she did real well on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs