U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 64,754 times

Advertisements

This is a true lesson I have learnt a couple of months ago.

I was interested in buying a new puppy of a specific breed.

I study the local newspaper for puppies on sale. I come accross a advert for puppies for sale. The puppies was described as well and not cross-breed. The price was enough, nor suspicious low!

So I called the lady and ask her about the puppies. She told me that only 2 left. I told her that we will come and look because we are really interested in 1.

But when I told the woman that we will come the next day, she insist we MUST come tonight! I explain to her that my mom is working late tonight, but the lady insist the puppies must be sold by tommorrow!

I thought okay...since we all are really eager for a puppy I will ask my mother. She said yes, and in the dark we went to the house of the so-called breeder!

The puppies was healthy, we ask if we can see the parents, the lady and her husband refuse, telling us the parents is sleeping and aggresive. But she assure us again the puppies is not cross-breed at all!

Hmmm...now we understand why the lady insist that we come when it is dark and why the husband has refuse us to see the parents! This is a cross-breed!

Moral of the story! Never go and buy a puppy at night, leave the puppy if you are refusing access to the parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM

1,279 posts, read 2,859,199 times
Lesson: do not buy from a BYB

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,377,334 times
If a "breeder" tells you over the phone all pups must go by tomorrow - RED FLAG. Honestly if there is any pressure to "buy" at all, that is a major RED FLAG.

If a "breeder" tells you outright that the parents are so aggressive you can't even look at them - RED FLAG.

I doubt the fact that the pups are supposedly "cross bred" is the only thing this "breeder" is trying to hide.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,377,334 times
I just had to come back and add that there are some red flags with this "puppy buyer" in addition to the breeder. If you want a pure bred puppy from a breeder and your best idea is to "study the local newspaper for puppies on sale" I'm already concerned. Wouldn't that "study time" be better spent networking with breed clubs, going to dog shows & specialty shows for your desired breed, attending events like, for example, field trials if you're looking for a Dachshund, or lure coursing if you're looking for a Whippet, or Schutzhund trials if you're looking for a German Shepherd, etc..? How about asking local vets for referrals to good breeders in your area?

If I wanted a pure bred pup from a breeder, the last place I'd start my search would be the local newspaper. Well, I take that back. The last place would be craigslist, but local paper is a close runner-up.

Last edited by k9coach; 04-28-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,187,708 times
Good breeders' puppies are mostly spoken for before they're even born. And if the "breeder" didn't do a background check on you to see if you qualified for one of her dogs, then she's a bad breeder.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,961,009 times
This was no breeder. This was a puppy producer. Anyone can produce random puppies.

Each breed has national and local clubs listed online. They can lead you in the right direction when it comes to finding a reputable breeder.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM

18,102 posts, read 16,645,847 times
We purchased a Husky from a breeder from craigslist. The woman told us she dropped the price because someone else bailed on their deposit. She showed us numerous pictures of the puppy, all inside pictures. She told us that she would not let any of the puppies outside because their area has a high parvo rate. So we thought that was good and she told us that the puppies were well socialized because she had several pugs too, didn't know she bred those also until we picked up the dog. Instead of meeting at her house, we met at a nearby store. Now this was way before I even knew about backyard breeders and no I didn't do my homework but my wife really wanted a Husky. Long story short, our husky has been a fantastic dog, except for the furniture chewing, so far but he is way above the breed standard. At 9 months old, he was 85 lbs with very little fat. He looks like a Husky and even came with AKC papers but I believe he has Mal in him which would explain the large size and temperament. I am a bit worried about what his size will mean for him in the far future especially since we have no idea how his parents were. But it is a chance we took but definitely would not buy from a backyard breeder again.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM

315 posts, read 463,343 times
Buy a puppy at night? How about DO NOT SUPPORT Backyard Breeders and morons whom have no business breeding a dog. That's a better lesson.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,565,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC View Post

The puppies was healthy, we ask if we can see the parents, the lady and her husband refuse, telling us the parents is sleeping and aggresive. But she assure us again the puppies is not cross-breed at all!
The biggest red flag of all! What kind of "breeder" intentionally breeds aggressive dogs? And if it was just an excuse to not let you see the parents, what an idiotic thing to say. Anyone in their right mind would turn and run.
And what was her reason why the puppies had to go that day??? That's not exactly someone who cares about her dogs.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,620,958 times
This is a case in point of why so many laws are needed. Too many ignorant buyers around who keep up the demand for 'breeders' like this.

You don't buy dogs out of the newspaper. The fact that the puppies were mixed breeds is the LEAST of the issues here. My gosh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs