Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

What, in your opinion, are the best toys for a small dog to keep him or her occupied but also appeals to most dogs? I went to a pet store (Pet Co) and there were four aisles of toys and I was overwhelmed!

Do most of you bring your dog and have him choose? Or is it not that simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
For occupied, get a small Kong and put a little dab of peanut butter in there, or a small dog treat. Good for large or small dogs and keeps them occupied. The Kong allegedly is indestructible, which is completely untrue - my Rottweilers kill Kongs on a regular basis - but for a small dog, I think you'd be doing well.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Sam is right Kongs are great, I'll add Booda ropes as well. Stay away from squeak toys and the like.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 AM

389 posts, read 3,539,026 times
I couldn't agree more, Kong, Kong, Kong. They make different types now, and if you have a food loving dog, just stuff the kong with something yummy that will take a while to get out. Keeps 'em busy for hours if you stuff it right! You can use peanut butter, or they make a kong paste, but I think peanut butter is tougher for them to get out, as long as your dog doesn't have any problems with allergies or digesting it.

I also buy my dogs butcher bones and cook them up. They chew on them forever. It keeps their teeth healthy too...my old guy is 11 now and has never needed a dental. I don't know how small you can get them, but they are great if you are okay with giving your dogs bones.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
my dog loves pig ear strips

Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
cody loves all natural raw hide sticks(the bleached ones make him sick).
Toys w/ us are hankies and ropes ...and our hands.

Toys for him anything that's a stuffed animal and can be destroyed!!!!
i've given him stuffed animals to destroy for day one as then he doesn't feel a need to destroy my couch. ...it worked.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
What, in your opinion, are the best toys for a small dog to keep him or her occupied but also appeals to most dogs? I went to a pet store (Pet Co) and there were four aisles of toys and I was overwhelmed!

Do most of you bring your dog and have him choose? Or is it not that simple?
Best toy for a small dog is another small dog.......

Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
With regard to the Kong, are we talking about the Classic Kong or something else? I just went to the site and they have a dozen 'toys'.

The squeaky stuffed animal won't work out since my daughter has a bunch and I don't want those to be considered 'dog toys'.

If he is not a 'biter or chewer' will he still use them?

Regarding another small dog, it took me 6 weeks to get this far with one and I haven't received the 1st one. I think it's best to wait. We have the dog adoption visit next weekend.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:28 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I was talking about the small classic...and they aren't really to bite or chew on necessarily, although I have one that literally loves the Kong into about a million pieces. You put a dog biscuit or a blob of peanut butter in there, and your dog will be occupied for hours trying to figure out how to get it out. I think they have a small square one, too, but I've always used the ones that look sort of like a snowman? Big on the bottom and small on top, with a hole in either end?

I've found there's no accounting for what they will play with...my largest Rottweiler carries around a stuffed squirrel cat toy - one plays with a stuffed frog and thinks it's her child - one loves the Kongs, and one plays with an old tire or a 2 liter platic bottle or a piece of firewood in the back yard...and they never cross over. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I saw on a show one time that someone gave there dog a coconut to play with. The dog was small. I think it was a chihuahhua but anyway I have a lab mix and got her a coconut and it keeps her occupied, chasing it around and chewing on it.
She eventually got the coconut opened and ate it.
Coconut is good for pets, by the way, as well as humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs