U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM

857 posts, read 1,781,997 times

Advertisements

Save a Life,
These dogs deserve better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,378,509 times
But what if you want to show, or do dog sports or working events, or want a dog for a specific purpose, eg herding? (I grew up largely with Border collies; my family had several hundred sheep and while these dogs slept in the house and were much loved, they were working dogs and bought for that purpose, from working lines.)

While I am 100 percent behind the concept of adopting, there are legitimate reasons to buy a dog.

Of course, because your neighbor has a nice Goldendoodle, or you think "teacup" Yorkiepoos are adorable or photos of cute schnoodles caught your eye online or the First Family has a PWD...none of these are legitimate reasons, IMHO.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 10,942,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Save a Life,
Well said. Every time someone buys a dog a pound dog dies because there's one less place.

I had a wonderful dog from the streets of the Chicago ghetto. Some teenagers were throwing rocks at him and I chased them and picked him up. He was very glad to come with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
But what if you want to show, or do dog sports or working events, or want a dog for a specific purpose, eg herding? (I grew up largely with Border collies; my family had several hundred sheep and while these dogs slept in the house and were much loved, they were working dogs and bought for that purpose, from working lines.)

While I am 100 percent behind the concept of adopting, there are legitimate reasons to buy a dog.

Of course, because your neighbor has a nice Goldendoodle, or you think "teacup" Yorkiepoos are adorable or photos of cute schnoodles caught your eye online or the First Family has a PWD...none of these are legitimate reasons, IMHO.
Plenty of pound dogs do a great job herding and frequently win field trials.

I have a 14 yo who sometimes becomes confused outside and starts to wander. But my 9 yo, a mixed breed form the street, knows instinctively to bring him back to me or put him in the car.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,378,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Well said. Every time someone buys a dog a pound dog dies because there's one less place.

I had a wonderful dog from the streets of the Chicago ghetto. Some teenagers were throwing rocks at him and I chased them and picked him up. He was very glad to come with me.

Plenty of pound dogs do a great job herding and frequently win field trials.

I have a 14 yo who sometimes becomes confused outside and starts to wander. But my 9 yo, a mixed breed form the street, knows instinctively to bring him back to me or put him in the car.
They do indeed, although it depends on the venue/registry. In very many venues, you cannot register to show or work with a dog of unproven ancestry.

I have bought dogs and my family has bought dogs; I assure you no dog died simply because I bought a dog.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,845,874 times
Quote:
Save a Life,
I agree whole heartedly! It is past time when we begin to see animals as valuable resources instead of disposable commodities.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,681,124 times
Quote:
Well, most people buying dogs aren't doing any of those things. It's an extremely small percentage of the dog population, so much so that it's not even a counterpoint to the original post. That said, buying dogs is absolutely fine if one is going to the highest end of high end breeders, themselves a small percentage of dog breeders. It's the people going to pet stores, puppy mills, backyard breeders, breeders out of the newspaper, and other types of for-profit, immoral breeders that are the problem. Good breeders are highly selective about their breedings and who they sell to. The millions of dogs killed and millions more abandoned every year rarely have their origin from one of these breeders. In an ideal world, all dogs would come from breeders like these, and the dog population would be where it should be, a third or a quarter of what it is now.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM

760 posts, read 2,048,649 times
Thank goodness for breed specific rescues! We wanted an English Bull Terrier, so we rescued one from a Bull Terrier Rescue group. He is definitely not show material, but is close enough in looks that no one would doubt what breed he is!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,819,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Thank goodness for breed specific rescues! We wanted an English Bull Terrier, so we rescued one from a Bull Terrier Rescue group. He is definitely not show material, but is close enough in looks that no one would doubt what breed he is!!!!
I have to agree. Seems like every breed known to man has a group of devoted and generous rescuers who will go the extra mile to find a home for a dog who needs to be rehomed for whatever reason. RescueMe.org comes to mind as a wonderful place to find a specific breed. I registered with them for alerts whenever Bichon or Maltese are available in about 6 states around me. And it seems like in no time all the dogs are adopted.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,196,798 times
Quote:

I think most of the dogs sports do allow any dog now, Even AKC agility now allows mutts, or as the UDSAA calls them " All Americans" I do think there are a lot of working dogs that also came from shelters and rescues. Someone I know says his best herder is a Border collie they got at a shelter. I am pretty sure that they can even do any of the rally obedience .. even AKC.

A few years ago at our big Flyball tournament one of the teams that came had a film crew with them as they were working on a story about rescued dogs and over 1/2 of the dogs at the tournament were rescues! They got them and the owners all together and filmed it and took photos...it was pretty cool!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,864,566 times
Quote:
Save a Life,

I work full time now but I do hope one day to adopt a retired greyhound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs