U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,477,767 times

Advertisements

I bought Nature's Recipe Lamb dog food for adults (maybe that's the 1st mistake) but he really didn't eat much for breakfast and wasn't interested in it for dinner. I don't know if he was given treats by my daughter today.

I am contacting the Rescue to find out what food he ate there and if he had that kind of behavior with food.

After I poured it, he sniffed and and walked away with one and ate it in the crate. I called him and he ate 4-6 pieces but then ate maybe another 6 on his own. I still had a lot in the bowl and so I 'hand fed' it to see if he wanted more but he carried it off and dropped it in my bedroom floor. Does he hate the food? I can buy whatever food appeals to him (if I knew what it was).

He has no problems with 'treats'. But those are like McDonald's or Burger King - Great taste with a big fat waist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,217,516 times
He might not eat the first few meals you set down for him, but he'll get hungry and start eating soon .

If you feel you need to entice him, maybe a little treat on top of the kibble - a dallop of plain yogurt, a little shredded cheese - something yummy - might get him started.

Also - did you wet the kibble? I serve my kibble slightly wetted with warm water. Some dogs like wet kibble, some like dry.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,778,891 times
You just now got him into his new home today and so far he's not had the chance to realize that yes, it is his home. Give him a few days to acclimate. After a few weeks you'll notice that he'll start to come into his own. It won't take him that long to eat a meal, don't worry about that

Some dogs are food driven and would eat if given the chance until they exploded, others are merely grazers and just hit the bowl several times a day.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
His world is upside down right now and it will take some time for him to be comfortable in his surroundings. When Spot first joined us, he wouldn't even eat treats. He would take whatever we gave him, just to be polite, then drop it on the floor. Even steak!

Cottage cheese mixed with his food is another good enticer.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 AM

12,439 posts, read 31,504,859 times
Congradulations on your new baby...pic please!!!
Lots of dogs do what you are describing...I don't know why.
Katie who is my 1st corgi not only does what your dog is doing she plays toss the food.
She carries it around and tosses it in the air, repeatly then after awhile she eats it. Now I am told this is normal corgi behavior! No messed cause she eats every crumb on the floor hers & mine!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,417,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Congradulations on your new baby...pic please!!!
Lots of dogs do what you are describing...I don't know why.
Katie who is my 1st corgi not only does what your dog is doing she plays toss the food.
She carries it around and tosses it in the air, repeatly then after awhile she eats it. Now I am told this is normal corgi behavior! No messed cause she eats every crumb on the floor hers & mine!!!
Katie, they ARE great vacuum cleaners, aren't they! they'll find every crumb.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,906,848 times
I had the same problem with my weimie who refused to eat anything when I first got her. Gabby was from a puppy mill turned in to the SPCA. I called them and they said she didn't eat much for them. She was so skinny and even the vet was worried about her and said if I couldn't get her to eat I should bring her back in so they could check her.
I made her Satin Balls from ground beef and other things and had to hand feed her for the first 2 weeks. Once she started eating those I would mix a little with dry food. Now she eats any and everything in sight.
If you want the recipe I can post it here. The weimaraner rescue group told me they use them for dogs who need to gain weight.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,322,751 times
And stop when the dog starts to get about the right size - those satin balls are WONDERFUL for putting good weight on fast...but if you have a moment of weakness (like I did) with your rescue and give them out like treats, soon you will have a porky dog on your hands! I just felt so sorry for them, you know......and we spent MONTHS getting the weight off once it was there. But what a great instant nutrition source...the recipe I have will make about a ton....

Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,906,848 times
I don't give her the satin balls anymore since she swallowed the last frozen one I gave her without chewing it. Of course, this is the same dog that ate the plastic wrap with the canolli..

Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,322,751 times
Hey, hey...at least she's not a picky eater anymore...you accomplished your mission!...they say margarine is just one molecule off from plastic, maybe you can pretend she ate a stick of margarine? (one of mine did eat a stick - it was not pretty for days around here...a stricken look and a mad dash for the back door, which was left propped open for emergencies...forget the herds of mosquitos that came in, we were more worried about the dog exploding...blechhhh - it was AWFUL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or