Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,017,015 times

Advertisements

Should I be concerned with my dog whose a Yorkshire Terrier, whose eating less than 1/4 cup twice a day~? Normally he eats a half cup twice a day, and maybe eats 2/3-3/4 of the amount. Lately, I decided to cut back to see what would happen and he's eating perhaps 1/2 of the 1/4 cup that I put down for him. I've switched foods too many times due to bloody stools or he didn't like it and would walk away, from the way it looked like. He's gone 3 days without eating, so I switched years back when he walked away and wouldn't eat. I didn't switch till like 3 months into the food and it's not that I didn't try, I did. Anyways, he's normal in size and healthy otherwise but should I be concerned with his eating habits~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,867,149 times
How long has he been eating so much less? What else has been going on during that time? I ask that question because when it gets warmer (before the A/C goes on), Artie is less interested in food.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Oh, this has been going on within the past couple of weeks. I hate to say but I boarded him while away and they had troubles to get him to eat there and tried everything. So, he ate 2/3rd there of his meal and a lot of mornings he wouldn't eat. He was in a good place too, where he got to run free, not crated.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,867,149 times
Weird. I'd suggest a vet visit but you say that he's otherwise healthy. Maybe someone else has other ideas.

Is he drinking?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,746,783 times
My dog eats less then the recommended amount and I brought him to the vet to get checked out. Everything was fine and my vet said he had lots of energy and that some dogs, just like people, are not big eaters. I myself am a very light eater so I guess my dog is just like me

I would still go to the vet to get your little guy checked out since Jax didnt have any bloody stools, but if he appears healthy otherwise, I would not worry too much. My vet did say if he stops drinking water, that's actually a much worse sign then not eating.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM

765 posts, read 2,432,176 times
I have the same thing with our English Bull Terrier - when we first rescued him ( at 35 lbs.) he inhaled his food - I even bought a special bowl to try and slow him down. Two years later, ( a steady 42 lbs) he's turned into a very picky eater. If he doesn't eat first thing in the morning, he will vomit yellow bile - so he HAS to eat. I started pouring a bit of cream on his kibble to get him to eat. He rarely finishes the cup I give him - and sometimes leaves 1/2. At dinner time he gets either 1 cup or 1 1/2 cups (depending on how many walks we go on - 1 1/2 if it's a 6 mile day, 1 cup if it's a 3 mile day). He's not keen to eat - and keeps looking at his bowl and me to see if there might be something more to the meal. Due to skin issues, I can't change his food. So, I figure it's one of 3 things....1. he's bored of the food or 2. his food is of a good enough quality that his nutritional needs are completely met or 3. He knows his food is safe and that no one is going to mess with it. Maybe all 3?

Do you try to flavor the food up for him?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
If the dogs are healthy and at a good weight, hydrated with proper stool, it may not be anything to worry about.

Nowhere in nature (including us humans) do animals eat a measured x amount of y type of food precisely z times per day.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Weird. I'd suggest a vet visit but you say that he's otherwise healthy. Maybe someone else has other ideas.

Is he drinking?

Yep, no problem drinking. He drinks like there is no tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM

621 posts, read 1,414,679 times
sometimes these little guys have teeth issues. Might be worth a check?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,201,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Yep, no problem drinking. He drinks like there is no tomorrow.
Drinks tons of water and appetite has changed? The big question, has he lost any weight?

It could be nothing as stated above, could be eating enough for survival and be fine. However if his water intake has increased about the same time the appetite started to decline, you might want to give your vet a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs