U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 AM

36,937 posts, read 45,376,262 times

Advertisements

I think you may have hit on it. She is bathed frequently. She is a black Lab and she has bad breath too. I bet an antibiotic would make sense for her too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM

3,923 posts, read 10,290,333 times
Default Maybe my smeller's bad, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son has a year old Lab. She is fed Science Diet. When we pet her our hands stink. It could be she's regularly rolling in icky things outside, but she's watched pretty carefully, so I wonder if there are any other explainations?
I have a 12-year old yellow lab on Prescription Diet and he's not stinky, unless as you said "he gets into something icky."

Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,639 times
wifes new choc lab smells deadly its not his ears or butt its the oil on his body.im gonna give this smell machine away when shes at work if i dont figure something out.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
labs are water retreivers, their dense coat is oilier than other breeds...this oily coat tends to retain odor a little more than some, which frequent bathing actually makes worse (it stripps the oils damages the coat and the body goes into overdrive making more oil to make up for whats been stripped)

1: get the poor dog off Sci-DIE!
labs are a breed VERY commonly found to have CORN allergies
take a look at the ingredients on the bag...keep in mind dogs are carnivoers (not OBLIGATE like cat but they are still carnivores and cannot digest grain or fresh plant matter)
first 2 ingredients in most science diet products
CORN...and "chicken by-product meal" (this is ground up bits of chicken that cant be used as "meat" feet, beaks, feathers) theres actually no REAL meat anywhere in most science diet products...one line of science deit has corn as the first 3 ingredients for goodness sake...even their lamb and rice has corn in it...
corn is a cheap filler, KNOWN to agrivate skin issues and cause allergies so switch the dog to a corn free food (lamb and rice is generally a better choice for "oily" breeds because corn fed chicken can also agrivate the situation

2: dont bathe the dog anymore than once a month...if hes dirty between baths just hose him down, but no soap, the soap will agrivate odor...

3: have the vet do a skin check, it could be a yeast infection, it could be somehting else...

either wa id get him off the sci-die no matter what the cause *shudder* (its the equivalent of feeding the dog chicken flavored cardboard)

Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think you may have hit on it. She is bathed frequently. She is a black Lab and she has bad breath too. I bet an antibiotic would make sense for her too.
Yeah, labs shouldn't be bathed too often--only once or twice a year and not on a schedule but when they get into something super stinky like manure.

I can't even tell you the last time my 16 year old lab has had bath, probably 3 to 4 years ago. When he was younger, once a year, once ever two years was the norm. And he has never had an order. .

Their skin needs to retain the natural oils. If they get just muddy or dirty, just rinse them with plain water and brush regularly. Don't use shampoo for these more regular plain water rinsings. Sometimes we just wipe spots with a damp cloth.

Definitely take him to the vet to identify the specific cause for the proper type of medication because it could be a bacteria or a yeast skin infection.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofwar View Post
wifes new choc lab smells deadly its not his ears or butt its the oil on his body.im gonna give this smell machine away when shes at work if i dont figure something out.
See my previous post.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,512,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, labs shouldn't be bathed too often--only once or twice a year and not on a schedule but when they get into something super stinky like manure.

I can't even tell you the last time my 16 year old lab has had bath, probably 3 to 4 years ago. When he was younger, once a year, once ever two years was the norm. And he has never had an order. .

Their skin needs to retain the natural oils. If they get just muddy or dirty, just rinse them with plain water and brush regularly. Don't use shampoo for these more regular plain water rinsings. Sometimes we just wipe spots with a damp cloth.

Definitely take him to the vet to identify the specific cause for the proper type of medication because it could be a bacteria or a yeast skin infection.
Phew! I thought I was the only one that went years without bathing their labs!!! If they get muddy/dirty, they get the hose, that's it!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
honestly thats the best way to bathe MOST breeds of dogs (and even your own hair) if your on a healthy diet, it does MUCH better without the detergents stripping it completly on a regular basis.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times
No, two yellows, haven't had a bath in at least 2 or 3 years, and they both have a nice clean smell.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Our labs do not stink however, they get a bath once a month.

Teeth bushed each night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or