U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Status: "Still don't know what sriracha is, and now I hear its passe." (set 25 days ago)

14,570 posts, read 16,193,195 times
Question Does your Lab stink?

My son has a year old Lab. She is fed Science Diet. When we pet her our hands stink. It could be she's regularly rolling in icky things outside, but she's watched pretty carefully, so I wonder if there are any other explainations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM

768 posts, read 1,345,764 times
Is she an outdoor dog or indoor dog?

What do your hands smell like after petting her? "Dog that has been outside", or something else? (I'm serious, not joking. You know how people get that "been outdoors sweating" smell in the summer....) Onion?

When was her last bath? Do you put anything on her for tick and flea prevention? Does she have gas or other intestinal distress?

Need more info.

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM

4,015 posts, read 9,662,835 times
The food can have a lot to do with it. Do her ears stink? If so then it could be she's got a yeast infection. Lift the flap and sniff

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM

2,846 posts, read 7,136,957 times
Hold on a second.....Labs can't stink sometimes they just smell different

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Status: "Still don't know what sriracha is, and now I hear its passe." (set 25 days ago)

14,570 posts, read 16,193,195 times
She goes in and out at will. She does not have any odor to her ears. I can't identify the smell it's just objectionable.

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM

731 posts, read 2,513,736 times
My labs live outdoors year round. Had a conversation with my neighbor that his inside dog, a medium sized terrier, sometimes really smelled bad. The terrier is a buddy of my dogs. He comes over to say "Hi" regularly. It took a few weeks to figure out but when my labs were in the kennel and couldn't run around with the terrier, they just lifted a leg and peed on him! Hence the smell.

Better check who your labs are hanging out with when they're outside!

Unread 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM

181 posts, read 694,607 times
What kind of smell? Wet dog smell? Crap? Urine?

Unread 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,050,318 times
all black labs I've met and some yellow stink like DOG!
It's like they have extra oil in their skin ...maybe because they are water dogs?

my sis n laws rents have a black lab that stinks so bad i won't go near her. they bath her weekly

Unread 11-02-2007, 05:32 AM

526 posts, read 960,186 times
Do you have a pool? One of our Labs had a terrible smell that we traced to the chemicals in the pool. Once we changed chemicals, the smell went away.

Unread 11-02-2007, 07:55 AM

3,684 posts, read 7,814,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son has a year old Lab. She is fed Science Diet. When we pet her our hands stink. It could be she's regularly rolling in icky things outside, but she's watched pretty carefully, so I wonder if there are any other explainations?
My Lab had a skin infection once that wasn't noticeable to look at but the smell was awful! I inadvertantly made it worse by giving her multiple baths in antibacterial soap (which only killed the good skin bacteria making the bad stuff thrive and increased the smell!). After a week I brought her to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic which 1/2'd the smell in one day and it was gone the second day. It may be worth looking at. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs