U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM

725 posts, read 2,573,493 times

Advertisements

... what do you do?

Today I took my dog in for a nail trim and he was fine during the entire nail trim. But apparently when the groomer went to pick him up, my dog freaked out and he bit her. There was some broken flesh but she said she was fine. My dog is up to date on rabies until 2015 (3 year shot).

I feel horrible. This is a local all-natural pet food/supply and groomer I go to and they know I am a regular. She isn't the normal groomer I've had over the last few months but she has trimmed my dog's nails once or twice that I can remember. This is the first time my dog has freaked out and bit someone (he is 5 years old).

I immediately called my vet to have them send over the rabies info just for everyone's ease of mind (the employee said it wasn't necessary because they know I'm a regular, but I am developing a bit of anxiety over this!).

What is the proper procedure after something like this happens? I feel like I should go back to the store with a care package, or gift card or something!

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM

13,807 posts, read 14,640,285 times
my sister's dog gets very nervous and has attempted to or did bite the groomer. the groomer now puts a muzzle on the dog when she works on her. I too would also buy the lady some flowers or a box of chocolates

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM

3,184 posts, read 7,056,621 times
I'm sure yours was not the first dog to bite her and will not be the last. I would bring her some cookies or flowers and an apology card from the dog. If she's not worried, then you shouldn't be either. I would muzzle your dog when it's time for his next nail trim.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM

511 posts, read 680,820 times
My family had to quarantine their dog 10 days for biting the groomer.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM

725 posts, read 2,573,493 times
That's the thing --- he's never bitten anyone before and never needed to be muzzled. This is the first time it's happened and I am being upset about it. I guess I could hold him in the future during nail trims, but I just feel really bad for the groomer. I don't really know if I should just let be (since it's the risk they take?) or be more apologetic and get her something small as a token of appreciation and apology.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM

5,532 posts, read 5,972,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
That's the thing --- he's never bitten anyone before and never needed to be muzzled. This is the first time it's happened and I am being upset about it. I guess I could hold him in the future during nail trims, but I just feel really bad for the groomer. I don't really know if I should just let be (since it's the risk they take?) or be more apologetic and get her something small as a token of appreciation and apology.
What dog is it? If its a big dog, I would muzzle him anytime a procedure is performed at the groomer or vet. The groomer may have made a sudden move which perhaps the dog didn't anticipate. It responds instinctively to pain, fear, or discomfort, so its not his regular behavior you need to worry about.
Disclaimer - I once wanted to bite my dental hygienist, but I couldn't reach her...

Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM

4,712 posts, read 10,171,009 times
Could your dog have a sore spot that maybe being picked up caused it to hurt?

My sisters dog bit the groomer the first time she took her there. The dog was new to my sister at that point. The groomer called and told her to come pick up the dog as she had bitten one of the groomers then when my sister did they said since they were unable to finish the grooming they were not making her pay the full bill. That sort of shocked her being the reason they did not finish was due to the dog. She showed them the rabies certificate and the groomer did have to go to the ER only because that was the companies policy and the dog was quarantined for the 10 days at home.

I think taking am I am sorry card and some cookies or some flowers or something is a very nice gesture, not required but I am sure it would be appreciated.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM

621 posts, read 1,044,802 times
as an old groomer... trust me, she ain't happy, but is used to it. Part of the job unfortunately! She should know how to take care of the wound, and with luck she won't report the incident. If she does, you have the record so all should be ok.

I like the "take her some cookies",,, while we may be used to it, knowing that you care about it happening will lesson the pain somewhat.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,241,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
If you feel badly for the groomer, plan to muzzle your dog before entering a grooming studio or vet office nstead of just holding him in the future.

Your dog might not have bitten anyone in the past, but he has now bitten someone now and you can't risk him doing it again.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

13,807 posts, read 14,640,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you feel badly for the groomer, plan to muzzle your dog before entering a grooming studio or vet office nstead of just holding him in the future.

Your dog might not have bitten anyone in the past, but he has now bitten someone now and you can't risk him doing it again.

^^^ this...don't just "feel bad" for the groomer. if you don't actively take measure to make sure she doesn't get bit again, like muzzling the dog for a grooming visit, then you really don't feel all that bad about it in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs