U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,601,435 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried them? Success or not? No amount of positive training, spray bottle aversion, booby trapped counters or just plain screaming is keeping Karma out of the kitchen. She countersurfs, and she is getting shameless about it. One of these days she will surf the cooktop and get killed. I've put wire cage gates all around the openings to the kitchen -- we have a very open floor plan, so no door. Frankly, I'm sick of moving these wire barriers each time I go in and out of the kitchen. I read about these Scat Mats and wondered if they could work, and at this point, if it traumatizes her, so be it. She will get over it.

Can you tell I'm a bit overwhelmed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,383,435 times
WIN!

Seriously, I am not a fan of shock techniques and using such as a first line of defense and I know you feel the same way.
However, I am also not a fan of having large pieces of my furniture eaten, literally eaten, by Rottweilers.
I am also not a fan of unnecessary crating of exuberant young dogs.

That adorable pooch had a thing for new furniture, as in, he would eat it. Literally. Not nibbling, but full-scale destruction down to splinter-sized bits of wood and 8,357 chunks of foam and fabric.

So last spring when I got a new loveseat and recliner, I decided not to take the chance...he was two years old, he'd had out-of-crate day long privileges for almost a year, but I still didn't want him eating $1000 worth of furniture in one day. But I did sort of want to have New Things once in a while.

So I got a Scat Mat.

It worked. I set it on "annihilate" just to get the message across clearly the first time with no dicking about or nagging. He touched it once. That was...last March or April? I do not believe that dog has even attempted to touch the new furniture since. I do have an old armchair that the dogs are allowed on, and he will still get on that so it's not like I've traumatized him. I abandoned the Scat Mat months ago (actually it quit working) and he leans up against the furniture but just won't get on it.
The new stuff has been basically untouched by canines in over a year and I sort of like it that way.

Do various Scat Mat searches on YouTube...you are not alone. And some of those videos are pretty funny in an evil sort of way.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM

15,169 posts, read 13,453,934 times
I have used them for several different issues with dogs I have had. They worked very well.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 PM

16,702 posts, read 26,798,278 times
I know nothing about these scat mats but I wanted to make you giggle...

So, what you're saying is that Karma really is a b-i-t-c-h?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
WIN!

Seriously, I am not a fan of shock techniques and using such as a first line of defense and I know you feel the same way.
However, I am also not a fan of having large pieces of my furniture eaten, literally eaten, by Rottweilers.
I am also not a fan of unnecessary crating of exuberant young dogs.

That adorable pooch had a thing for new furniture, as in, he would eat it. Literally. Not nibbling, but full-scale destruction down to splinter-sized bits of wood and 8,357 chunks of foam and fabric.

So last spring when I got a new loveseat and recliner, I decided not to take the chance...he was two years old, he'd had out-of-crate day long privileges for almost a year, but I still didn't want him eating $1000 worth of furniture in one day. But I did sort of want to have New Things once in a while.

So I got a Scat Mat.

It worked. I set it on "annihilate" just to get the message across clearly the first time with no dicking about or nagging. He touched it once. That was...last March or April? I do not believe that dog has even attempted to touch the new furniture since. I do have an old armchair that the dogs are allowed on, and he will still get on that so it's not like I've traumatized him. I abandoned the Scat Mat months ago (actually it quit working) and he leans up against the furniture but just won't get on it.
The new stuff has been basically untouched by canines in over a year and I sort of like it that way.

Do various Scat Mat searches on YouTube...you are not alone. And some of those videos are pretty funny in an evil sort of way.

Hey, I'm a fan of shock techniques when everything else fails and the dog's life could be at stake. We had Invisible Fence at our old house. We got it for Hallie because she was a runner, and she trained exceptionally well on it and wasn't traumatized at all. The problem came when we discovered she would get all nervous when we had her someplace like a dog park and we let her off leash. She would freeze, because she didn't know if she'd get zapped at any given moment.

I actually trained Hallie OFF the fence so we could go next door to visit with the neighbors. It was harder than training her on the fence in the first place.

Jimmy -- he never needed the fence, and it was always great to have him around when Hallie's toys bounced past the danger zone. Gentleman Jim always retrieved her toys for her when she couldn't get at them. He also pooped just outside the electric fence line so she couldn't bother him. One of the funniest moments with those two babies was watching Hallie crane her neck as far as she could to get a good sniff of Jimmy while he was relieving himself. I warned her, said "yer gonna get it, Girlfriend" -- but she didn't listen. Then came the YIP!!

I think I laughed so hard I about peed myself!

In the three or four years we used that fence, she probably got the zap a half dozen times. Small price to pay to keep my best girlfriend safe and having fun in her yard.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I know nothing about these scat mats but I wanted to make you giggle...

So, what you're saying is that Karma really is a b-i-t-c-h?
Oh yeah, is she EVER. I mumble it all the time these days. We have to keep reminding ourselves she's 13 months old, still got puppy in her. But I cut her no slack at all when we train together.

The dogs must sit and wait as I put on their leashes to take them outside. They can't move until I give the OK. Thems are the rulez here -- no exceptions. Teddy goes into a sit without being told to now. He waits like a good boy, as I repeatedly tell Karma to SIT. No sit, no trip outside. NILIF. I'll leave her there until her back teeth are floating if I have to, and I"ll take Teddy outside on his own.

I am the bad cop. My husband, on the other hand, gives up, puts her on the leash, and he takes her out. He can't be bothered taking the time to wait her out. Training tips for husbands, anyone???

Old 05-11-2013, 03:16 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,857,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Oh yeah, is she EVER. I mumble it all the time these days. We have to keep reminding ourselves she's 13 months old, still got puppy in her. But I cut her no slack at all when we train together.

The dogs must sit and wait as I put on their leashes to take them outside. They can't move until I give the OK. Thems are the rulez here -- no exceptions. Teddy goes into a sit without being told to now. He waits like a good boy, as I repeatedly tell Karma to SIT. No sit, no trip outside. NILIF. I'll leave her there until her back teeth are floating if I have to, and I"ll take Teddy outside on his own.

I am the bad cop. My husband, on the other hand, gives up, puts her on the leash, and he takes her out. He can't be bothered taking the time to wait her out. Training tips for husbands, anyone???
Scat Mat

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,383,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningwest View Post
scat mat :d
rotflmao.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,078,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
rotflmao.
ditto

Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM

857 posts, read 1,782,820 times
Oh dear,these things look so shocking/No pun intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs