U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,481,431 times

Advertisements

SO my Bichon (rescue) is docile. I can do anything (except brush his teeth) to him (grooming, touch his toes, etc) - I haven't tried clipping nails, yet.

However, we went to PetCo. and there was a dog 3 times his size (he is one) the other dog was a German Sheppard (6 month old). My dog starts barking and growling at her. I think - my dog is going to get his butt kicked. He and another big dog snarled at each other while in line (Wemariner - Sp?).

Is this normal for a Bichon?

He is so friendly to people and wags his tail when people approach and he never snaps. Is this just a dog thing that I wouldn't understand? He was very gentle with a female Bichon in the same instance in the store (that was very nice).

The next obedience class at Pet Co is not until after the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM

4,660 posts, read 15,786,094 times
A dog on the end of a leash, is just like a dog behind a fence. It's territorial and he's an extension of you and therefore letting the others know not to get any closer, same thing the other dogs are saying.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,040,184 times
He's a Bichon that thinks he's a Rotty!! lol

Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,227,931 times
4 thoughts come to mind:

1) I don't recall if you posted, or even know, the history of Snowy, but if Snowy was in a puppymill/backyard breeder situation, it's possible he's aggressive towards other dogs due to his background/getting pushed around by other dogs in a confined setting.

I knew someone who adopted a Rhodesian Ridgeback rescued from a puppymill when she was 2 or 3 and she never learned to like other dogs.

2) It could be the complete opposite - maybe Snowy never got the proper socialization needed with other dogs. If this is the case, it could be an easy fix. Doing things like the obedience class you're planning will help with socialization.

3) Many dogs are selectively aggressive - they can love, hate or feel indifferent towards different dogs. This is just normal dog psyche, but you want to make a mental note and see if this is Snowy's normal behavior so you can be prepared.

4) Sex can play a big role. A cute little female Bichon he will love, of course . Another male dog he might feel a little threatened by, so some aggression will show. A few nasty barks are usually no big deal and just serve to say "I'm tough!", but snarls, growls, teeth showing/snapping is not good and you'll want to get some distance between the dogs.

**I'm very careful about my dogs being able to have physical proximity to strange dogs. I never know how it's going to go. My dogs generally love other dogs, big and small, but every once in a while they don't like one (they are selectively aggressive ). What's even more unpredictable is how the strange dog is going to be and how well the owner can handle their dog . Also, plenty of people don't fix their male dogs and those dogs can be problematic around other males - if the dog has balls, I don't let it near mine .

Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,147,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
SO my Bichon (rescue) is docile. I can do anything (except brush his teeth) to him (grooming, touch his toes, etc) - I haven't tried clipping nails, yet.

However, we went to PetCo. and there was a dog 3 times his size (he is one) the other dog was a German Sheppard (6 month old). My dog starts barking and growling at her. I think - my dog is going to get his butt kicked. He and another big dog snarled at each other while in line (Wemariner - Sp?).

Is this normal for a Bichon?

He is so friendly to people and wags his tail when people approach and he never snaps. Is this just a dog thing that I wouldn't understand? He was very gentle with a female Bichon in the same instance in the store (that was very nice).

The next obedience class at Pet Co is not until after the holidays.
Looks like he likes dogs his own size
Seriously though, we have a Bichon in the family who is a friend to all.
I've never met one to be aggressive on my travels.
Our family Bichon took to any new puppy bought into the family brood.
Not only that, he loves all the babies, as do the other pups.
I bet he was just trying to make sure you were ok.......and showed a bit of extra Puff!!!
I'm sure he'll be fine...........they are such a docile breed.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,318,435 times
My inlaws had a male bichon that was fixed (after about 3 years). He had aggression problems as well as numerous other health problems. Because they waited so long to fix him, he never lost the territorial spraying behavior either. We suspect he was a petshop dog, although no one knew for sure, they got him by default from someone who could not keep him because of a divorce situation.

Not aggressive with people, only with other dogs - for some reason the larger dogs it was worse. he got along fairly well with our longhaired dachsie, who got along with most EVERY dog.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
4 thoughts come to mind:

1) I don't recall if you posted, or even know, the history of Snowy, but if Snowy was in a puppymill/backyard breeder situation, it's possible he's aggressive towards other dogs due to his background/getting pushed around by other dogs in a confined setting.

I knew someone who adopted a Rhodesian Ridgeback rescued from a puppymill when she was 2 or 3 and she never learned to like other dogs.

2) It could be the complete opposite - maybe Snowy never got the proper socialization needed with other dogs. If this is the case, it could be an easy fix. Doing things like the obedience class you're planning will help with socialization.

3) Many dogs are selectively aggressive - they can love, hate or feel indifferent towards different dogs. This is just normal dog psyche, but you want to make a mental note and see if this is Snowy's normal behavior so you can be prepared.

1) Unknown. I don't know where he came from prior to the shelter. He lived in the shelter for 1 week and the rescue for 4 weeks.

2) By paper he was socialized with other dogs.

3) The dogs he was aggressive to were both females. The dog across the street was barking at us while we walked on the street and my little boy growled back.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,227,931 times
The good thing is that you have a very controlled situation. You're a one dog household and can stay that way if need be, and you're a very responsible dog owner who's not going to let this one wander off and get in trouble......you'll be fine, and it might only be a stage - it might all be different in a few months when he's more settled with you .

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The good thing is that you have a very controlled situation. You're a one dog household and can stay that way if need be, and you're a very responsible dog owner who's not going to let this one wander off and get in trouble......you'll be fine, and it might only be a stage - it might all be different in a few months when he's more settled with you .
I just want a battle in the Petco/Petsmart.

Do you put your dog in the shopping cart or have them walk in the store?

I put him in the little cart and he just jumps right out.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:47 PM

32,437 posts, read 17,770,914 times
We have the best dog lover friends ever. They care more for their dogs (2 Bichons) than most people care for their children.

They have rescued 2 bichons. When one of them died, they took another rescue to keep the older one company. Well, the newbie is a horrible monster! She went absolutely beserk on our female poodle mix, age 10. Our tiny yorkie, age 4 was not scared of her and consequently was left alone.

This new female is big, fat and mouthy. It is way beyond aggressive and what REALLY makes my blood boil is one of the friends is one of those people who cannot or will not make their dog behave. The human just yells and of course the dog just ignores all her commands.

Sorry, I have never wanted to swat a dog with a newpaper as bad I did that day!

I'm not going to say anymore for fear of getting a hundred neg points and a few infractions to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or