U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM

331 posts, read 1,238,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Hello you all !!!I have new puppy named Biscuit she is 12 weeks now and a blue merle. Are Australian Shperds usually fiesty? Do Australian Sheperds calm down when she get older or worse? Any tips how to get her stop biting my girls?
We don't have obedience classes. I have started clicker training. She is doing well but have question how to get her to heel? Boy alot of questions. Any one have a good site to learn how to do Agility or catching a frisbee? I need to teach myself so I can teach her correctly. Here I go again. Blah Blah away.I will asked more as we go along. Thank You for your help and tips.
my wife and i have had a Blue Merle Aussie Shephard for 3 1/2 years. We got her when she was 10 weeks old. It took a couple days for her to get used to her new surroundings. Yes, as puppies they are feisty, and calm down when they get older. If you're referring to your "girls" , it's just a matter of giving her like you're doing, clicker training, or just a small tap on the snout. Just enough to get their attention, and you will find yourself using "NO" a lot LOL. We actually bought a book from the pet store for agility training. Sky just naturally took to catching a frisbee. She loves chasing a ball, catching the frisbee, we even bought a garden wagon, and fabricated a tongue to attach to a harness, and she will pull around the kids in the wagon, she just loves it. Aussies are work dogs, and love having something to do. I have a pic of her in the pet pics thread. Our biggest problem at the moment is that she has an identity crisis sometimes, and thinks she's a 45 lb kittydog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM

133 posts, read 693,495 times
Quote:
Hello dvflyer. Thanks for straightening me out about the ShepHerd. It is a typo Got any updated picture of Ginger.
Hey karey,

No new pictures I can find on my work computer. I'll have to see if I have any new ones at home.. we've been slacking in the picture department.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,135,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
my wife and i have had a Blue Merle Aussie Shephard for 3 1/2 years. We got her when she was 10 weeks old. It took a couple days for her to get used to her new surroundings. Yes, as puppies they are feisty, and calm down when they get older. If you're referring to your "girls" , it's just a matter of giving her like you're doing, clicker training, or just a small tap on the snout. Just enough to get their attention, and you will find yourself using "NO" a lot LOL. We actually bought a book from the pet store for agility training. Sky just naturally took to catching a frisbee. She loves chasing a ball, catching the frisbee, we even bought a garden wagon, and fabricated a tongue to attach to a harness, and she will pull around the kids in the wagon, she just loves it. Aussies are work dogs, and love having something to do. I have a pic of her in the pet pics thread. Our biggest problem at the moment is that she has an identity crisis sometimes, and thinks she's a 45 lb kittydog
Ditto about the kittydog!!LOL Mine has that issue too. Biscuit doesn't sit on our couch or sleep in our bed. She has her own huge pillow bed but she does get on my computer table and lay down looking out the huge front window. People drive down my long drive way thinking it is huge cat in the window but by surprise is 45 lbs dog
I am fascinated about this garden wagon you use? Got any pictures?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 35,681 times
our male aussie didnt settle down til he was about 5 but he was highly intelegent, and able to be taught anything tho I never taught him to work cattle, the only thing i could never teach him to do was stop stealing food from any surface, table, counter,stove soo good luck. they are very good dogs and very inteligent

Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,488,421 times
Biscuit is beautiful! I love the aussies (currently have an apparent aussie mix- little brindle gal with astonishing blue eyes).
I think 12 weeks is way too young to think that nipping or any such is dominance. She's barely starting to teethe. Puppies nip because they don't know not to, and in the litter, the mother nips them, they nip each other... I remember when I got my two Corgi/Kollie pups, I had never had puppies by myself, and figured they'd just know what to do. Right. The first few days, I had to walk across the floor with an 8-pound puppy attached to each fuzzy slipper. They really are playing at that point and have to be taught "no bite." Smart dogs will figure it out fast enough if you're consistent.
My puppy days are behind me (I'm into mutt seniors) but there is nothing more perfect than a baby animal.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Default News update

Quote:
Hello you all !!!I have new puppy named Biscuit she is 12 weeks now and a blue merle. Are Australian Shperds usually fiesty? Do Australian Sheperds calm down when she get older or worse? Any tips how to get her stop biting my girls?
We don't have obedience classes. I have started clicker training. She is doing well but have question how to get her to heel? Boy alot of questions. Any one have a good site to learn how to do Agility or catching a frisbee? I need to teach myself so I can teach her correctly. Here I go again. Blah Blah away.I will asked more as we go along. Thank You for your help and tips.
I have wonderful news.... Since I am really happy with this breed. I got another puppy again. I must be insane because I also have 15 month old baby. The puppy is a handful and I totally forgot how much work it was but he is adjusting really well. I will be training all over again. I got great reminder from all the people on this site because I totally forgot how to potty train. So any hoot I wanted you all be aware I got not only one Australian Shepherd but 2

How is everyone doing with there Aussies? I would love to hear from you all and post picture... I don't have the new pup downloaded on computer yet. Will soon.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

24,034 posts, read 30,143,709 times
the australian shepherd puppy is the ultimate chick magnet.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the australian shepherd puppy is the ultimate chick magnet.
Ughh what a beautiful puppy. I am chick and I think they are a Cutie a Pootie

Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,488,421 times
Goegeous puppy. Hey, I'm an older chick. Done deal.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM

24,034 posts, read 30,143,709 times
when i walked skye around town, women would beg me to take them home with me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or