Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM

142 posts, read 571,248 times

Advertisements

Duke my 8 month old Geran Shepherd mix has been barking at things that are out of place. For example something was under the table that is not normally there. Duke saw this and was extremely startled and started barking at it, I brought him up to it and he sniffed it and was ok with it. Today he was growling at my oven mits which hang on the fridge, they have always been there. I let him sniff them and he was ok. I have only had him about a month, is he still adjusting to our home or could it be vision related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I'd take him to the vet. There could be something physically wrong with him. It could be anything from his vision to a brain infection.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
He's a goofy 8 month old! Just coming into his own and not understanding everything. It's his way of dealing with something new. He'll grow out of it in another few weeks or so. As long as he is ok with the object once you show him, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
He's a goofy 8 month old! Just coming into his own and not understanding everything. It's his way of dealing with something new. He'll grow out of it in another few weeks or so. As long as he is ok with the object once you show him, I think you have nothing to worry about.
Exactly, just being very observant and learning.

Wait till the leaves get blowing around. and he notices.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:24 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
This exactly. When mine was that around that age, he was the same way. Once, I was taking him for a walk on our regular route and he wouldn't stop barking and pulling the other way. I had no idea why, but then I noticed an orange traffic cone which has never been there before. Once he realized it's not out to get him, all was good.

He's gotten much better since then, but will still notice if something is where it shouldn't and just sniff it instead of bark at it. We live in San Diego, where it really never rains, and one day it was actually pouring. I took him out and when he felt water drops falling from the sky (something he hasn't felt til he was 8 months old) he flipped out and ran home. He's quite the little drama queen.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM

142 posts, read 571,248 times
Quote:
Thank you I think I have a hard time realizing he is still a puppy because he is 50 lbs and bigger than my other two adult dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Exactly, just being very observant and learning.

Wait till the leaves get blowing around. and he notices.
Lol he already thinks leaves are something to snack on and now he other two think so too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We live in San Diego, where it really never rains, and one day it was actually pouring. I took him out and when he felt water drops falling from the sky (something he hasn't felt til he was 8 months old) he flipped out and ran home. He's quite the little drama queen.
He had his first experience (with me) walking in the rain last night, I knew it was going to rain but I thought we could squeeze in a quick walk. Not even 5 minutes from home it started raining, he was fine until the wind kicked up then he turned around and jumped on me like "save me momma!" lol he could not have been more excited to go back home

Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
The first time Angel heard microwave pop corn she ran and hide. LOL Poor little girl, we did not make any more for a while.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
I O U rep. Still can't get in.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
My Frenchie would do this when he was younger but now that he's a year old, he seems to have outgrown it. It was funny though - a bed pillow might have fallen to the floor and he'd bark and bark....a bag of groceries on the floor instead of the counter top.....funny creatures, aren't they?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
You have an excellent watchdog, my Australian Shepherd has done that.
First time I noticed her doing it was when a trash can lid that was normally on the can was on the ground along side the trash can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs