Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,342,398 times

Advertisements

My niece and went to the Humane Society and found an adorable canine companion for her. He's a shy one year old, 13 lbs. Spaniel mix.
I just asked her how the first night went and she said he was hyper vigilant, following her to the bathroom and sitting up every time she rolled in bed. He is sleeping in his own bed next to her. Not much interested in eating or peeing this morning.
Is this all just normal adjustment behavior? Any tips or advice greatly appreciated?

We debated crating him when we got him but the worker there sort of talked us out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM

453 posts, read 1,533,243 times
If he was in the shelter for a long time, you may need to do a shut down period of a week to two weeks. Adapting to a new environment can be very stressful to a dog.

http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf

Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM

That's some good stuff. Soe of it was what they told us at the shelter. I just sent it to her. She lives (alone) in an apartment, so she has to take him out to pee and all. It's a pretty quiet spot and then she can just bring him back in right away.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,323,635 times
Congratulations on your rescuing a shelter dog, and let me reassure you. they all come with baggage. Our girl is a year old. We got her at 7months and the baggage is still revealing itself. Your daughter's dog needs to heal, and youknow that takes time, love, understanding, and a good reliable routine. Dogs like routines. They also need someone to follow, so your daughter and her new dog can have fun in training classes and their relationship will flourish for it.

Everything you describe is in the bounds of normal behavior.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,346,600 times
You might consider getting an ex-pen and put the crate inside the ex-pen, also feed inside the crate with the door open...my dog runs to the crate the moment my hand is over the dog food bag.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM

What is an ex-pen?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM

157 posts, read 563,762 times
Some dogs actually feel safer with a crate. We have fostered over 100 dogs and they were all different. Some would go in the crate on their own. I would just leave the door open. My foster of almost 3 yrs still does. He will run over and pull the door open and walk in.
An ex pen is an exercise pen that folds up and is usually 6 sided. Great for puppies.
I have some shelter dogs take a month or more to adjust. The following is very common. Sometimes toys help they relax and feel more secure.Sadly, some dogs were neglected or abused and have to learn to trust and /or feel secure again. Sounds like things are going fairly normal to me too.
I'm glad she adopted a rescue, another life saved.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,323,635 times
Exercise pen, just like the one I got for Teddy and he managed to climb out of when he was 11 weeks old!
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pet-Dog-Cat-Play-Exercise-Pen-Playpen-w-Carry-Case-4S-/20/!BsowP0w!2k~$(KGrHqIOKi!EvHIcWnkiBL4u!(OrGg~~_1.JP G

Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM

857 posts, read 2,212,765 times
We have a rescue dog. had her for 6 mths now and she is coming along.p Poor girl had a rough life and we are so happy we got her.
She was very dulled for the first couple of months but now she is really responding to us.
For her no crate/she hates the confinement but some dogs feel safer in them.You will have to see what he/she likes.

Have lots of patience and it will all come together.

Thanks to your D for saving a life.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Good for you and your niece!

This all sounds very normal and I like the "shut down" advice. NILIF is also a good way to go....reassuring to the dog, gives it a sense of purpose and accomplishment, sets simple and easy-to-understand boundaries.

Nothing in Life is Free

Not all dogs require or need a crate. It's a great tool but as long as he's OK without one I wouldn't force the issue. Although I think the idea of feeding in the open crate is a great one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs