U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How often do you give your dog a Bath?
Every week? 5 26.32%
Once a month? 7 36.84%
Once a year? 6 31.58%
Never? 1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,774,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Are there dog mints?
There are many dog mints and breath refresheners. You can go to Petco or Petsmart, or your petstore. I've heard that these refreshners are very good
Yip Yap Breath Fresheners for Dogs at PETCO

Although, we brush our dogs' teeth, so we don't use dog mints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 6,991,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I feel like the moisture from my dog's eyes smell. I put vaseline under the eyes and put doggy cologne. I may be mistaken and it may just be his breath. Are there dog mints?

I use that 'waterless' shampoo every other day and those 'baby wipe' equivalents.
You know, if a dogs ears smell that could mean they have an ear infection. Do his ears seem to be bothering him at all? Like does he scratch at his ears more than usual? If it is his ears that smell you might want to have a vet check him out just to be safe.

Yes, there are doggy breath mints. There are all kind of things for doggy breath! There are many different kinds of doggy breath mints and there are chews, bones and treats that help to clean the dogs teeth and/ or freshen their breath. We have used two different kinds of doggy breath mints, DDS Dental Breath Tabs with tartar control and Yip Yap Breath Fresheners for Dogs. Our pups seem to like the DDS breath mints the best though, so that's what we normally get for them. We also get them dental chews pretty often and we get them some breath mint dog treats every week. We go to the pet store every Saturday to get dog food and treats. At the pet store we go to (It's a small pet store and I think it's just local? It's called Pawrific pets.) they have treats that are fresh baked and all natural that you buy them by the pound, they have dog treats that they buy, but they are still all natural and you buy them by the pound and then, of course, they have all of the other kinds of treats, but we only get the treats that you buy by the pound. We always get them their favorite fresh baked, doggy cookies with doggy safe chocolate chips and peanut butter chunks , we get them some kind of treats that aren't sweet, like bacon or cheese flavored, and then we get them these dog biscuits/ cookies that are green and blue, that have mint and other ingredients to help freshen their breath. I don't know what those treats are called, but they are great! They are not expensive at all and our dogs absolutely love them! They also freshen their breath really well, I would honestly say better than the mints do. Like I said, we normally go to the pet store every Saturday, but I am actually going to go in the morning, so if you would like I can find out what those treats are called for you.

You could also get a doggy toothbrush, some doggy tooth paste and brush your pups teeth at home. That might help. We just started brushing our dogs teeth at home and they actually like it because they love the chicken flavored tooth paste! lol! Keeping your pups teeth clean should help with bad breath, but I don't think it will completely take it away. It doesn't for our dogs. Again though, I would suggest that you try to see if it's your pups ears that are smelling bad and if it is, you should probably get a vet to check it out.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:09 PM

526 posts, read 1,432,766 times
you can certainly bathe a dog more than once a month for most breeds; show dogs are often bathed multiple times per week. A good dog shampoo and conditioner that is pH balanced for a dog's skin will not dry out their skin or cause them to lose some essential oil.....

Unread 11-05-2007, 07:41 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,371,038 times
I bathe my pups with shampoo ONLY when they needed, since my oldest German Shepherd has severe allergies, and that includes his sensitive skin (no, medicated shampoos do NOT work for him either!)
I rinse them with plain water frequently during the week...to get the dirt and pollen out.
Or I let them swim......lol.....

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM

24 posts, read 56,544 times
Default A Dog Groomer's Response

I have 4 dogs, all different breeds with coats that vary.

The German Shepherd Dog gets a bath every 2-3 months, or sooner if I feel he needs it (ie, oily skin/coat, 'doggy' smell, excessive shedding, and what I call "cotton balls" forming behind ears and around the neck.) He gets basic grooming at least 3-4 times a WEEK. Extensive grooming without the bath occurs once a week - also includes nail trimming, teeth brushing, elbow conditioner (for callouses) and ear wipes. As well as a topical coat conditioner.

The Australian Cattle Dog gets a bath maybe every 6-7 months. Gets basic grooming once every two weeks. Brushed with a simple slicker brush 1-2 times a week. Cattle dogs are very 'Wash and wear' and don't require extensive grooming.

The Aussie gets groomed whenever I feel necessary. Probably a simple brush and combing once a week to control shedding. He gets a bath on average once every 3 months. He gets himself dirty quite often, however, and that often warrants a bath or at least a rinse.

The Pit Bull is very seldom groomed. She gets a bath once every 5-6 months or whenever she decides to roll in something stinky. She gives herself 'dirt baths' in the horse corral every once in a while but quickly cleans up with a quick brushing with a soft bristle brush and a bath wipe.

I should also add that the German Shepherd is a show dog that also gets down and dirty 3 times a week during Tracking classes. No normal dog owner in their right mind would put that much grooming into a house pet. LOL

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM

273 posts, read 1,040,200 times
I think it depends on the breed and if they are indoor or outdoor dogs, how often they need a bath.

Our indoor Papillon normally gets a bath every 2-3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs