Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

About 6 wks ago my border collie (alpha) and my nuerotic little spitz corgi mix got into it and the b/c was injured...serious injury but more of a freak accident than the actual viciousness of the fight. Bother neutered males b/c is about 7 and the mix about 5 years old. I attributed it to a dominance issue and started everyone back to obedience drills on lead and stopped any encouragement to the mix when he was anything but submissive to the alpha and me. Submissive behavior such as licking the bc's face was praised as was him ignoring the bc. This seemed to be working well and todayy for the first time I allowed them off leash together (supervised) in the yard. All went well and I finally went and put the bc in the house after about an hour because I was going to be mowing and unable to supervise. Well I didn't see what happened but the mix got into it with one of my other dogs ( 2 y o flattie mix neutered male) and it was another nasty fight! I'm not sure what is going on with him...I know the bc started the first fight and he didn't back down as he normally does. I'm really disappointed and confused about todays incident. We just moved have a fenced acre for the dogs so more room than ever and NOW all hell breaks loose??? I'm paying dearly for this yard because I thought they all would enjoy it together but it seems to be causing problems...things are fine in the house! The only differences in his routine isthey are all crated during the day and before the move he and the bc were in kept loose in a very large laundry room but the dogs ALL get more attention and exercise now than they did at my last house. Moving shaved about 2 hours off my daily commute. Very frustrating!
I wish I had seen what started things off with the flattie...I am guessing it was over a stick or other object.
My flattie mix has a temper...he doesn't look for trouble but when it finds him he gets nasty like a female would. I am hoping this is not going to be an ongoing problem with the spitz mix and other dogs...he has always been wonderful with other dogs both the ones he lives with and at the dog park (no worries...he won't be going to anymore dog parks). He seems happier living here...he doesn't bark or really act neurotic at all since he has this huge yard and gets tons of running in.
Any ideas/suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Why do you consider the border to be the alpha? Even though my 2 dogs seem like one is generally more dominant, at times each is submissive to the other. It is a new yard and perhaps there are some turf issues to be established; at the old place things were already understood. For now, I would make sure your corgi mix is fully supervised when he is with other dogs.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I find this all very confusing. How many dogs do you have in all?

My friend's parents have many dogs in their house, and they basically just keep them separated, usually in pairs that get along well.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,496 times
Two thoughts:
1) Get full thyroid panels and vet checks on all 3 dogs, especially the Spitz mix. Unexplainable and inappropriate aggression is one sign of hypothyroidism.
2) New home = new territory and scents. That can cause the dogs to be unsure of their pack and pack order, especially if there were dogs on the property before you moved there. Since the Spitz mix seems to be the primary aggressor, he may be trying to become pack leader.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
The OP needs to be the alpha of her dog pack, not the border collie.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The OP needs to be the alpha of her dog pack, not the border collie.

True, but to go further, the dogs will establish their own hierarchy below the alpha and it's best if the human stays out of it (except to ensure no injuries).

Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Well I am the alpha...the BC is the alpha dog. He knows the rules and keeps the others in line if any of try to engage in inappropriate behavior. I can leave my dinner on the coffee table to go answer the phone and no one will touch it because he will stand in front of it until I return. He gets after anyone digging, playing too rought ect. I didn't trian this he just picked it up by watching me. Until the fight last month no dog has failed to back down to his putting them in check.
When I've had fosters (which I quit doing after becoming sick of the dog people drama here) none have ever challenged him even if they did test my other dogs. He is clearly the alpha and he is very fair with them.
Five dogs no more than 4 outside together at once...all five are fine together in the house.
My dogs are never unsupervised outside unless I run in to get a soda or something. Good point about the new territory...I hadn't really considered that we have only been in this house a few months.
Not a bad idea to check the thyroid on the corgi mix I think I will go ahead and have that done. He has had seizures several times...maybe 3 in 20 months, so there could be a problem. If I HAVE to rotate dogs I can easily do that but I really don't WANT that for them. I know many dogs easily adjust to that but they spend enough time crated imho that really wouldn't be fair to allow them less interaction with me.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 AM

295 posts, read 1,213,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
... Not a bad idea to check the thyroid on the corgi mix I think I will go ahead and have that done. He has had seizures several times...maybe 3 in 20 months, so there could be a problem. ...
Which type of seizures? There is a link between hypothyroid and seizures. Check here: Canine Epilepsy and Dog Seizures Table of Contents - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels . Definitely get his thyroid checked ASAP and do a full panel, through either Dr. Jean Dodds or MSU.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You can't decide which dog is submissive. No wonder there are fights.

Your dog does not want to be rewarded for being submissive if it's not submissive.

Stay out of it and let them figure out the hierarchy themselves!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can't decide which dog is submissive. No wonder there are fights.

Your dog does not want to be rewarded for being submissive if it's not submissive.

Stay out of it and let them figure out the hierarchy themselves!
He has been submissive for 5 years...he is overall a very timid, shy dog. Perahps this somehow got off track because I was mostly seeking input on what I could do...

Are you offering to pay their vet bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs