U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,664,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How did hunters train the dogs Before electricty & shock collars were invented?
You really want to know?

Beatings if did wrong, some were shot on spot if took off on deer, some like we did caught live coon and used roll cages and such for them to scent and trail or toss a live coon onto dog make him meaner and want to catch and kill them. They have training scents to help for somethings, had a friend had dog chased deer once and we took roadkill deer and tied leg to collar and let rot on dog so got sick on deer smell..

Training collars/shock collars are ok unless abused as in full shock all times. Couple shocks and not real strong is sometimes enough to stop em from doing things. Obedience is also part of it and positive reinforcement training as letting them chew on a coon , or sniff that bird and lots of praise when they retrieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

12,371 posts, read 31,254,274 times
Some people a nasty no matter what, my friends were not thankfully.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

422 posts, read 1,846,940 times
We have 2 flatcoat retrievers. We just let them be dogs, no hunting or training or shock collars. FunMatches only.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

251 posts, read 1,190,413 times
Just make sure you have a long line on the dog before you administer 'the first zap'! I haven't worked any of the labs, but I had a GWP that I trained to be a dual dog (ducks and upland game birds)....he actually did pretty good in the ring also. I ended up selling him though because he just worked too far for my liking. I got him to come in a bit but I noticed he did better with someone that could tramp through the fields a bit quicker :-)

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM

321 posts, read 1,418,403 times
You don't just put the collar on the dog and start burning him. You start with a behavior that the dog already knows, with the collar on the very lowest setting until you find the level that works best for that dog. Also, I don't know much about hunting with pointers so I'd be interested in hearing your input on that. I started this thread to be about all kinds of field training, so please chime in Astrogal! Have you gotten another bird dog?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,135,950 times
When I lived in Nebraska I got a golden retriever that I field trained myself, without the use of shock collars. Before he was ready to learn how to properly retrieve, which is an innate ability in retrievers, I first had to teach him how to "heel."

When I got him to sit and stay, even after I threw the dummy for him to fetch, then I knew he was ready to learn how to properly retrieve. I didn't want him running around in the field where he might get accidentally shot. I wanted him right beside me at all times until I gave him the command to fetch. I used only voice and hand signals to train him, beginning at around 3 months. He was a very willful dog, and wasn't fully trained until around the age of 3 years old.

I don't think it ever occurred to him to run off with my pheasant, duck, or goose. He was happiest when he brought me my game and dropped it at my feet.

Quote:
During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking. One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Last edited by Glitch; 11-15-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 07:13 PM

12,371 posts, read 31,254,274 times
Thats how my friends trained! Good going Glitch!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 AM

5,640 posts, read 17,261,277 times
Believe it or not, there are groups that field trial dachshunds. Also they blood track (on a leash) with them. They were bred as hunting dogs - not to be lap dogs like so many that own that breed insist.
Many of the ones that field trial are wirehairs. Also the dogs from germany are field-bred and they have distinctions - teckel, which is a larger chested larger dog. And the zwerg-teckel which is used to hunt rabbit and is smaller. (miniature)

Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 PM

251 posts, read 1,190,413 times
I'll write soon about my GWP....I am just way to busy too respond at the moment!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Default field trainners near dayton ohio

Does anyone know of a good place to get some field training for a golden retriever near Dayton Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or