Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It sounds silly, but maybe the velcro sound scares her. Did you have to redo the fasteners as you were putting it on so she heard it, and didn't want you to mess with them again?
My thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is exactly what I thought. She couldn't see what the OP was doing. She only heard the scary sound.
Oops. My thought three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
I guess, I don't understand, the dog was fine, and telling you, she wanted to keep the shirt on. So, why was it important enough to take it off right then?

Agreed, this does not excuse the Dog's behavior...

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess, I don't understand, the dog was fine, and telling you, she wanted to keep the shirt on. So, why was it important enough to take it off right then?

Agreed, this does not excuse the Dog's behavior...
The directions said to only keep the shirt on for an hour or two when first using it to check for irritation. The shirt had to come off eventually anyway. I doubt she would have acted differently if I had waited 10 hours.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,358,472 times
I agree your girl would benefit greatly from having a pro come in and work with her.
Just test out our theory, by pulling the velcro apart, standing at a good enough distance from her that it won't overly upset her if that sound is bothering her. You should be able to see if she reacts with concern. I have a dog that takes off like a shot when someone near her passes gas! And it's not the smell because she comes right back. It's just an instantaneous reaction to the sound with her. Thunder, meh. She pays no attention. There's no figuring some things.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,308,269 times
Quote:
It sounds silly, but maybe the velcro sound scares her. Did you have to redo the fasteners as you were putting it on so she heard it, and didn't want you to mess with them again?
That was my first thought as well.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I won't be putting that Thundershirt back on her until I have an expert with me. She became rather vicious. All returned to normal almost immediately. She's been licking me, sitting next to me, and asking for belly rubs.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 AM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
My sane sensible well-trained dogs do not like the sound of velcro and will try to get away from it.

In future, if a dog is trying to escape what you are doing, do not pursue. Wait a minute for them to calm down, then put them on a leash so that they can not run from you. Letting them move away while you are trying to work on them is not good training.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I won't be putting that Thundershirt back on her until I have an expert with me. She became rather vicious. All returned to normal almost immediately. She's been licking me, sitting next to me, and asking for belly rubs.
For the most part, dogs live in the moment. Bad things are easily forgotten. Unless they're not -- like abuse. You're smart to have an expert with you next time you attempt the Thundershirt. Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I agree your girl would benefit greatly from having a pro come in and work with her.
Just test out our theory, by pulling the velcro apart, standing at a good enough distance from her that it won't overly upset her if that sound is bothering her. You should be able to see if she reacts with concern. I have a dog that takes off like a shot when someone near her passes gas! And it's not the smell because she comes right back. It's just an instantaneous reaction to the sound with her. Thunder, meh. She pays no attention. There's no figuring some things.
I pulled the velcro apart a couple of feet away from her yesterday and she seemed fine. I did it again today and she went to hide in the kitchen.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I pulled the velcro apart a couple of feet away from her yesterday and she seemed fine. I did it again today and she went to hide in the kitchen.
That's interesting! I think the fact that she went to hide is more telling, though, than the time that she seemed fine. I'm guessing the "seemed fine" time was a fluke and that the sound really just scares her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs