Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,473,467 times

Advertisements

So I'm petsitting my parents' male Shih Tzu. I've always considered him to be a bit overweight (he's 15 lbs.) but after checking online, it appears he's in the normal range (albeit on the high end).

Maybe part of it is just the way he feels to me---like a squishy sausage. More flab than muscle.

Does this sound about right for a Shih Tzu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,837,957 times
Shih tzu dogs have dense bones.

They are heavier than they look. Mine is 18lbs

Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Shih tzu dogs have dense bones.

They are heavier than they look. Mine is 18lbs
Ah, makes sense because he weighs a lot more than one would guess. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Ah, makes sense because he weighs a lot more than one would guess. Thanks.
Yeah they are so close to the ground you would think that they are as light as a miniature poodle or a Maltese or something, but no. They are quite heavy.

Take a look at their legs and see how thick they are compared to other dogs their size.
They really have dense big bones. They are a really sturdy breed. They are rather slow moving because of it.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,761,179 times
I've owned 6 of them, they averaged 10-16#'s. I have two now, one weighs 12#'s the other 7, he is a special needs boy, has a hole in his pallet, so he has difficultly eating, he will always be a lightweight.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Another question---are they all slow walkers who sort of lumber/waddle along?

I'm a pretty fast walker so we're not a good match as far as that goes. He's perfect for my mom though.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Another question---are they all slow walkers who sort of lumber/waddle along?

I'm a pretty fast walker so we're not a good match as far as that goes. He's perfect for my mom though.
I call mine Eeyore ( nickname, not his given name) because he is so slow. He reminds me of an old grey donkey. They are really loving dogs but not too exciting. It's even worse when the fur gets floor length. Mine doesn't like getting his dirty so he walks like he is walking on eggshells trying his best to avoid puddles and mid. He even sticks his butt over the grass while standing on the concrete to go potty.

They are companion dogs for sure. Makes a great pal for someone who just likes to sit out in a rocking chair and just relax.

If you are a fast walker something else you should consider. Smooched face dogs have breathing problems, over exertion may result in a stroke. Mine has gotten two in the last year, but mine is an older guy

Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 AM

32,545 posts, read 47,653,023 times
If the dog feels squishy, he is too fat.

Dogs should have a waist and you should be able to feel ribs. You don't want any hollows between the rib bones, but you should be able to feel ribs as you run your hands over the dog's sides.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM

523 posts, read 838,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the dog feels squishy, he is too fat.

Dogs should have a waist and you should be able to feel ribs. You don't want any hollows between the rib bones, but you should be able to feel ribs as you run your hands over the dog's sides.
I agree, the dog shouldn't feel squishy. I have one and he's sturdy, not squishy at all. Shih Tzus can be prone to being overweight, so maybe he needs less food and more exercise. I think it's easy to overfeed a small dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs