Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
My Dyson Animal is 7+ years old. Just had the clutch (yeah, who knew vacuums had one) replaced a few months ago. That's the only service I've had since buying it new at Sears.

I can't seem to get a comfortable grip on the handle when extending the wand to be used with the hose & an attachment. The handle is awkward in shape & placement.

Vacumming the stairs is a chore. Tried using the mini turbine head attachment since it has a beater bar. There just isn't an easy way to vacuum the stairs.

I use the brush attachment to vacuum lamp shades and ceiling fan blades.

It's heavy and puts off a lot of heat.

I do like the long cord, the ease of dumping the dust bin and the amount of stuff it picks up. I also use it on my laminate floors.

You have exactly the same complaint about the attachment handle and wand as I do. BTW, the Roomba might be a go. Once the house gets a really good vacuuming with the Dyson, I can use the Roomba every day or every other day and not have to empty it every five minutes. I was so impressed, and so was my husband. I couldn't believe it. And the dogs ignored it -- huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
I wonder if I have the same one as you, Tina.

I made a spontaneous purchase at Bed Bath & Beyond (coupon exclusions apply) when it was on model-end clearance. I got a fantastic buy on it, yet it was still much more $$$ than I wanted to spend.

So, not being a "current" model Animal, I wonder if the newer models had this issue worked out. I didn't look into a newer model because I was NOT willing to spend $650 on a vacuum.

Anyway, in order to use the tools, you have to pull an inflexible metal tube out of the upright portion of the handle. The handle for the vacuum now becomes the handle for this extension tube. That's great for things that are not within reach; walls, ceilings, and for using the flat, under-furniture tool. However, I find it difficult to manage the pet tools on my furniture and stairs.

ETA: If we're basing the Dyson for floors alone, I love the thing. But for use of the included tools, well, there's got to be a better way.
Exactly. You are describing what I'm talking about. I got mine two years ago. I think for that amount of money, the attachments could be a lot better, larger, and maybe more of them. They're really very tiny and hard to use.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not saying you should buy a Dyson. I'm saying I like my Dyson even though it has a smaller container. My old vacuum had a huge container and needed to be dumped a few times per room too. But the Dyson really does pick up more, especially small particles other vacuums don't pick up.
The Dyson takes two seconds to empty and replace on the machine, and I can do a very very large room before I empty it.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
FYI: The problems with the hose and handle being cumbersome on the upright is why I bought the canister version. I had how you have to pull that hose out of the upright. It doesn't feel natural and I feel like the upright will tip over. I also like the canister because it's great for the stairs.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The Dyson takes two seconds to empty and replace on the machine, and I can do a very very large room before I empty it.
I can finish the room before emptying it since we only have the hound now. If I still had the Labrador, I would have needed to empty it much more than with the larger container on my old vacuum cleaner. It's just simple math----there was just that much hair and the Dyson container is smaller.

Keep in mind, I have the canister version, not the upright. The container on the canister is smaller than the upright. It's easier to use for the hose and attachments and great for the stairs though. The smaller container is more than a fair trade off for the great suction, ease of attachment use and doing the stairs. It's light as a feather to use too.

I love my Dyson Animal canister!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I put baking soda on my carpets vacuum next day. GF came over after with her Dyson. She got Zero off the carpet. So I say hands down My dirt devil wins LOL

Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We have the Dyson Animal and the container is very small and it is not always easy to get everything out of it without reaching in and pulling pet hair out. However, it does pick up everything, even the smallest particles.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We have the Dyson Animal and the container is very small and it is not always easy to get everything out of it without reaching in and pulling pet hair out. However, it does pick up everything, even the smallest particles.
That's my experience with the container for the canister version too. I have to pull hair stuck up in the side of the canister out by hand. It is a small canister. Maybe other people don't have this problem because their dogs don't shed as much as ours.

I should elaborate on the Dyson canister because it has one more downside. The head of the regular vacuum attachment is small. It doesn't have a wide path. That sort of annoyed me at first. I've gotten used to it. Since it picks up so well, I'm very happy with it, but I do plan to see if there is a wider beater attachment I can buy for it.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
I think Dysons are over rated and over priced. I have a Bissell upright canister which is going on 8 years. Works great for probably 1/2 the money. We have a lab and a Doberman plus a cat. The only thing I have had to replace is the roller brush assembly, Hepa filter and a belt.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
FYI: The problems with the hose and handle being cumbersome on the upright is why I bought the canister version. I had how you have to pull that hose out of the upright. It doesn't feel natural and I feel like the upright will tip over. I also like the canister because it's great for the stairs.
The upright does tip over. You made the right choice. I didn't know there was a canister when I bought the upright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs