Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post

by eight week old, a good breeder usually knows the type of coat the dog will get and whether the coat would shed at what degree.

I know a breeder and would like to have one. But there are always GSDs that are looking for home. I have two GSDs already. Now there are another pair of GSDs that are looking for home. Their owner just passed away....
I wouldnt trust what the breeder says. As I mentioned, Jax's coat completely changed when he turned 10 months old and his adult coat came in and his puppy coat fell out. He went from very soft, straight fur to curly, tight, thick, cotton like fur.

Every single goldendoodle is going to have two sets of fur, a puppy coat and an adult coat. You will never know what the adult coat is going to look like from the puppy coat. Just be careful about what a breeder tells you, even responsible ones are sales people on a very base level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Not necessarily true for a mixed breed like a goldendoodle. It's a mix - how can you know if it's going to have a coat more like a golden or more like a poodle. Or both?
I saw several puppies in the breeder's home. she showed me which one is more like a poodle, which one is more like golden, and which one is more like a fleece, which one will not shed, which one will shed a lot and which one has several types of coat. However, I didn't buy any of those and didn't follow them to adult. So I don't know for sure.

Before I moved, I belong to a local breeder's club (I am not a breeder and will never be one, too much work and too much heartache). They have this program that in order to socialize their puppies, they ask volunteers who are willing to change into scrubs and shoe covers to pay with their three-eight week old puppies. I did several times before I moved away. It was fun.

Last edited by LingLing; 06-24-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
I mean "play" not "pay".

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I find it amusing that people are now buying mutts and then going around citing these creative names and paying $1500 for what was a pound mutt a few years ago. It is cute.

As far as what I think of them: I think they are dogs. Some are sweet, some are cute, some are awful, some are boring. This is true of every kind of dog I see, mutt or not.

BTW: We tell people our mutt is a "St. Elkberhound" Sounds neat huh? He is a mix of St. Bernard and Elkhound. Sure he is just a pound mutt, but it sounds just as fancy as a Gooberdoodle or whatever the trendiest mutt of the day is.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
This thread should be called: "What are your ideas on mixed breed dogs?"

No difference other than a catchy sounding doodly name that allows puppy producers to con people into paying 800.00 for a mutt.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Sadly, the only Goldendoodle dog I met, was so out of control...and the coat was a mess. The poor thing, was so hyper, like a kid with ADD x100.

You can't judge a breed on one dog, but from what I have read....and heard....this dog was pretty typical.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM

7,049 posts, read 4,816,256 times
I absolutely agree with the fact that it's ridiculous that people actually pay high dollar for mixed breeds, because someone calls them some designer breed name.

(Heck, I could call my dog a Spinizsla, or a Vizspinone. He's half Spinone and half Wire-haired Vizsla, we think. LOL.)

That said, a lot of the doodle combos are pretty cute!

However, isn't there a Labradoodle (from Australia maybe?) line that is actually breeding true after quite a few generations?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
unfortunately While F6 and beyond seem to be breeding fairly true to coat, serious genetic issues are popping up from the tiny gener pool in dogs beyond F4...
so by the time the coat breeds true the dogs a mess of other genetic breeding issues becaue the gene pool is too small...
most doodle breeders wont risk breeding past F4 which till arnt breeding true.

even the original labradoodle breeder in Australia admits to regretting ever coming up with the idea and starting "the fad" of doodles.
the idea was a good one...but people got in the way as per usual.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM

510 posts, read 716,497 times
Goldendoodles are not actually a breed. Not trying to be a snob, but with a dog breed there are specific standards (size, color, features) that the breeders need to meet so there is some consistency. A goldendoodle on the other hand is just a cross of two breeds and there is no telling which traits you are going to get.

There are plenty of downsides to getting a specific breed of dog, but with a mix like a goldendoodle you are not getting the predictability of a breed, nor are you getting the lower cost and "hybrid vigor" of a mutt. Sort of the worst of both worlds.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyy View Post
What do you think about Goldendoodles?
They are mutts and should not be sold as if they were purebred. It is nice they don't shed and I know many people like them, but they should not have to pay anything more for them than they would any other mixed breed dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs