Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times

Advertisements

broken, the biggest issue with most doodles of any kind is while sold as none shedding, most shed just as much as any other dog...
only 1/4 of the puppies prodiced form a poodle to other breed mating will have anything even remotely like a poodle coat...
on the other end 1/4 of the litter is likely to have the cot type of the other breed, and the other 50% will be somewhere inbetwen the 2...

multiple generations helps correct coat type but as of yet even multi generational doodle to doodle breedings are not producing a consistent "poodle type" coat.
its a marketing falicy and personally what bugs me most...

hypoallergenic my butt...
butmost will fall for it becausthey don't understand the genetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
High energy
High coat maintence
What I have seen they tend to be outgoing and intelligent, but very sensitive dogs.
Personally, I think they are super cute but I wouldn't want to deal with all that coat!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,642 times
i think these ridiculous mixes are stupid. goldens are great dogs so just get one of those and poodles idk much about but they are hideous so you know just get the golden retriever

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
i think these ridiculous mixes are stupid.
Sorry. I haven't met a stupid dog yet, mixed or pure.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I'm sure they're as nice as any other dog, but the last thing the world needs is more backyard breeders. In my economically challenged community, the animal control facility euthanizes 600 dogs per month. IMO, it's unconscionable to buy a mutt from a backyard breeder when 20 perfectly lovely dogs (and probably a goldendoodle or two) are being put down every day.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm sure they're as nice as any other dog, but the last thing the world needs is more backyard breeders. In my economically challenged community, the animal control facility euthanizes 600 dogs per month. IMO, it's unconscionable to buy a mutt from a backyard breeder when 20 perfectly lovely dogs (and probably a goldendoodle or two) are being put down every day.
So it is okay to buy a pure breed dog from a backyard breeder?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
i think these ridiculous mixes are stupid. goldens are great dogs so just get one of those and poodles idk much about but they are hideous so you know just get the golden retriever
Actually, poodles, standards anyway--I don't know any minis, are very intelligent, highly trainable dogs. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
I think some of the show cuts poodles are put in are hideous, but the poodle itself is a stunning dog, beautiful defined slimline muzzle, gorgeous build, incrdiby intelligent AND trainable...
a standard ina woring coat after a day at the lake is probably one of he most beautiful dogs!
and being they are of the same group s goldens and labs they have similar desire to work, and please.

how is THIS a "hidieous" dog
(image not mine!)

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
<< So it is okay to buy a pure breed dog from a backyard breeder? >>

It depends on your definition of okay - keep in mind most byb's do not screen for health problems specific to the breed - they just want to make a quick buck - and while you could end up w/ a cute purebred puppy, that same puppy could develop many health problems in the years to come (not to mention most don't have puppy vacc's etc) so initially you may be paying less, but in the long run you'll be paying more. Not all reputable show breeders do either but most know it's important and do bc they care about the breed, they want to better the breed. Reputable breeders also don't mix one breed w/ another if they can't find a stud of the same breed, they're selective and can pick and choose (not to say an accident can't happen if they have another breed but they don't purposely breed diff. breeds). Personally, I would go to a breed rescue group, some even have mixes, or a shelter and see what's out there over a byb.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
For the money charged for "doodle" dogs, a person could purchase a purebred registered standard poodle from a show breeder who screens for health issues and temperament and can show you health testing for many generations in the pedigree.

That way, you get your non-shedding coat and a super temperament and a much lower chance of health issues.

The parent dogs used in "doodle" crosses are low quality dogs. Serious breeders make a lot of effort to keep their well bred dogs out of the hands of backyard breeders and breeders of mutt crosses. Therefore "doodle" dogs have a higher chance of inheriting genetic issues.

Just because a mutt is a cross, does not mean it is healthier. If both parents have the gene for PRA, then the mutt puppy can have PRA. If both parents have bad hips, then the mutt puppy can inherit bad hips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs