Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,638 times

Advertisements

What do you think about Goldendoodles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,091,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyy View Post
What do you think about Goldendoodles?
In what respect?
Most of them seem to be very nice dogs. Well, I think most dogs are very nice so I am biased LOL.
I think it's sort of insane that many breeders charge so much for a cross-breed though. I have seen them advertised for $2000-3000 which is crazy. A purebred Standard poodle or Golden from very nice lines doesn't cost anywhere near that much.
They are high-priced mutts, basically.

True story:
Last spring one of my dogs went through a 3-month course to become a certified therapy dog. Included in our class of 16 was a Doberman, a Pyr and a pit bull. And my dog, a JRT x red heeler and hardly a shrinking violet.
And a Goldendoodle.
The only dog to wash out of the class for getting too stressed and a bit snappy? The Goldendoodle.
(There is another Goldendoodle in our therapy dog group that is a very nice dog. And to their great credit, her owners do not tell people she is a "Goldendoodle"; they tell folks she is a poodle-Golden mix.)

Bottom line, I think they are a trendy mix and I tend to not take Goldendoodle owners very seriously as a whole. Actually I have a hard time taking the owners of any dog whose breed/mix name ends in "doodle" seriously.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,085,089 times
I don't like the goldendoodle that lives two houses down. He has run across two yards after having jumped over the crappy excuse for a fence the owner has. He was determined to attack me while I was in my own yard, unprovoked, I've lived here for years, he had lived there for approximately 2 years at the time.

I had been back by my tomatoes, near the back gate....retrieving my old wash tubs for my garden. They rattled, he alerted and was at my back gate in seconds...Lunging, furiiously barking...It was frightening in his determination and viciousness.
I had to wait 2 days to talk to the "man" of the house, because the wife blew me off saying, He would never do that, he is a nice dog. I talked to the Man, I knew him and we chatted over the fence many times previously. The dog is his BIL's, who is living there while he attends college school.

I'm standing at my gate, afraid to walk to my backdoor because he was lunging like a furious animal...I was afraid he would make it over the fence...I kept telling him "No" .....It didn't stop him. It actually seemed to agitate him...I honestly had never had a dog w/ less reason try so hard to attack me.

My bulldog, was against my gate barking furiously back at him....I don't think the dog had even seen her until he got to our gate. I was as worried about him coming over the fence at her as I was him coming after me. It finally ended, and I can only guess that Bella had showed him he better back off. She is really short, and only about 60 lbs, but she was not letting this roughian get her Mama.

Long story....But, I do not trust a dog that would behave like that out of the blue....And, I really still watch when I am in my back area. The owners still let him out unleashed, and their fence is more of a corral...really not a good fence for a dog that could sail over like he did that day.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,798,492 times
IME Goldendoodles and Labradoodles are an odd cross - I don't know exactly why but something is off there. Not the brightest - that's fine, I'm a bulldog lover and they're not either - BUT extremely high energy and challenging for the owners until they get older (like Labs). They require LOTS of enriching walks/exercise.

Labradoodles can be very tough - in the dominant sense. Determined as puppies because of the energy they need to release.

My clients who have both with stable dogs are exercisers themselves, it's nothing for them to run the dog 5 miles and their dogs are absolute calm angels. In fact, kinda of "boring" even the families say it haha.

It COULD be that they could pick up tricks like Labs/Goldens/Poodles do, you would think so. It may be the owners I've met just aren't interested. I know about 10 of them.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Oddly enough I have known and met quite a few "doodles" who seem to be quite fearful. Enough so that I have had conversations about this with trainer friends of mine. That might be more the type of people who choose to buy them, though?

Goldens, Labs and poodles are all very smart, biddable and social dogs so of course a cross of any of these breeds is likely to be the same. Why they became the pricey-designer-mutt of the decade I don't get, though. Smart, biddable and social mutts are crammed into shelters all over this country; why making more seems a good idea is beyond me.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,798,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oddly enough I have known and met quite a few "doodles" who seem to be quite fearful. Enough so that I have had conversations about this with trainer friends of mine. That might be more the type of people who choose to buy them, though?

Goldens, Labs and poodles are all very smart, biddable and social dogs so of course a cross of any of these breeds is likely to be the same. Why they became the pricey-designer-mutt of the decade I don't get, though. Smart, biddable and social mutts are crammed into shelters all over this country; why making more seems a good idea is beyond me.
Maybe. The calm ones who exercise I know have that type of owner in fact 3 are military. I don't understand it either. Maybe they're fearful because owners who don't understand their energy yell at them and stuff out of frustration.

I think they push the "poodle coat non shed" with Lab/Golden personality but that's not really what you get for some reason with this cross, IME. For me, you get a misfire sort of. Perfectly nice dogs and when they calm down they are fine but the traits you see in the breeds seem to not be there I guess I'm trying to say. I hope I'm wrong tho!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Maybe. The calm ones who exercise I know have that type of owner in fact 3 are military. I don't understand it either. Maybe they're fearful because owners who don't understand their energy yell at them and stuff out of frustration.

I think they push the "poodle coat non shed" with Lab/Golden personality but that's not really what you get for some reason with this cross, IME.
It's definitely true that all three of those breeds have a tendency to be really high energy and puppy-like until about three years old.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,366,165 times
It shocks me that people will purposely cross two perfectly good breeds and have the audacity to charge ridiculous $$ for the pups. Even more shocking is that people will pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've noticed this also with the two that I've met. Both were very shy dogs. One I didn't know too well, but the other I know quite well. She was in preliminary training to be a service dog, and she goes to work every day with her owner. In spite of the socialization, she seems to be getting more shy (she's over a year old now). She is very calm and has the aptitude to do her service (seizure detection) at home, but I don't think she will ever be able to go to school with the daughter like they had hoped, because she gets really skittish when there are too many people around.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

29 posts, read 69,123 times
I met a friend's Goldendoodle today. She was 7 1/2 years old and still pretty high-energy. It seemed friendly enough. It pretty much ignored me. The only issue I would have is grooming. My friend has to get her groomed every two months. I prefer my Labrador Retriever, which is a snap to take care of.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 29,364 times
go to a breed specific rescue, dogs from so called breeders and petstores are from puppy mills, don't support the mills. google puppy mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs