U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM

2,854 posts, read 3,249,478 times

Advertisements

...I have a dog who LIVES outside and loves it. Dogs don't have to be with people 24/7 to live wonderful lives. Some dogs bond with the livestock they guard as well as their human families. Of course, I wouldn't be comparing a Great Pyrenees with a Bichon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM

799 posts, read 566,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly2k13 View Post
My dog crys and barks when left outside alone. I was wondering is there anything I can do

do u mean that when u let your dog out in the backyard, your dog starts immediately barking? as in , your dog wants you to come out too? that can be frustrating but try to give your dog positive reinforcement to go out to peee and poop.

u can be like... "who wants to go out ?"in the best enthusiastic voice ever! offer a treat when they go outside and watch them. if they go to the bathroom make it a big deal when they come back in. that will give the dog confidence to go out on their own.without you there by their side.

im wondering if you mean that you just keep the dog out all time? i dont think thats a good idea. its only good for the dog if he has shelter that he can go into if bad weather occurs. i have seen dogs have heated dog houses with electric too! even a running air conditioner in the sheltered dog area.

if your dog is being kept as an outside dog but you dont have the proper and adequate shelter to provide then its a good chance that your dog is barking because hes tooo warm, too cold too hungry too tired or too thirsty. plus dogs are very social and can become depressed if not given the attention they need.

Last edited by Mandy612; 06-20-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,438,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
+1, Hopes. Why would you leave your dog alone outside. Would you leave a child outside alone with nothing to stimulate it.
Thanks for the +1. But I understand giving dogs outside time alone if the dogs like it. They need exercise, fresh air, sunshine, vitamin D via their nose, etc. The smells and sounds alone are a different stimulation. My basset would stay out there for hours. He'd never ask to come in. I'd have to go get him. My lab only wanted to be out there when we were out there. I can't stay outside with them the entire time---especially for hours like my basset wants. I've got things to do. And, yes, I let my children outside alone too! They were very self stimulated. Like the basset, I'd have to go get them! There's nothing wrong with a dog spending time outside alone if it likes it. If it's whining and crying, it doesn't like it.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,438,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
"MINE". "THEY"

You have a pack. You're not leaving one dog alone outside and with no knowledge of dogs to begin with. And you don't even know if it's tied up or not or even HAS anywhere to run.

Maybe the OP can teach her dog to play solitare, run and chase small animals incessantly, chew rocks for toys, flip the water bowl around non stop, or make up imaginary jobs fence fighting and develop some other helpful neurosis since it's entirely alone with no companionship or guidance from other dogs or humans.
A dog can enjoy being outside alone. It's fun out there. Dogs don't need to be entertained. People train them to be that way. It' s not much different from children. It's important for children to learn how to entertain themselves, but some parents never give them time alone and costantly provide stimulation. That's not healthy. There needs to be a balance of interaction with others and alone time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I drive by 100s of houses every day/year that have one single dog relaxed and laying in the front yard or chewing on a stick. There is no reason a dog should throw a tantrum when separated from it's owner.
I agree. My dogs love just laying in the grass and soaking up the sunshine sometimes.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM

6,387 posts, read 3,819,200 times
I've got a very attached Catahoula, and I don't believe in leaving dogs unsupervised for very long (we're talking minutes). My guy is only allowed in the yard alone when I'm working in the kitchen with a clear view of what's going on in the backyard.

But OMG, I definitely feel like they should be self-confident enough to be left alone outside on occasion. If my Houla was howling at the door every time I wanted the kitchen to myself when I cooked, I'd go nuts. Besides, it's GOOD for them to be outside a bit, and because of my job, I don't necessarily have time during deadline periods to do more than play fetch for 30 minutes. Those days are fairly few and far between, but they can make for very boring days for a dog.

OP, if you're not leaving your dog outside all day and just giving the dog an outside break, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you've got a solid fence. If you want to make your dog enjoy being outside, start feeding him out there on occasion, and begin a game where you hide treats around the yard that he can search for. Provide him with some outside toys and treats that he enjoys. My guy can keep himself entertained with a ball and a frisbee forever.

But leaving a dog outside all day is just a bad idea. My father kept hunting dogs in the backyard and the disasters they got into were rather epic if they weren't in their kennels. They were often stolen. I've also heard stories from his friends of dogs getting hurt on tie-outs, and of *******s tossing poison over fences. Pop even lost a puppy to an owl once when he left a weaned litter out in the snow to play while he made a cup of coffee inside after a blizzard. My mother won't let her toy Pom outside without being present EVER - a hawk could snatch her up in a heartbeat. Think about how long you'd be comfortable leaving a 2-year-old child unsupervised in the backyard - then apply that to your dog, and adjust for environmental/physical factors.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,291,178 times
Well I do agree that a self-confident dog ought to be OK with being left outside alone for a while...but it is very situational and also depends on breed traits. Some dogs (livestock guardian breeds, eg) were developed to work independently, others (many hounds, companion breeds) were developed to work within a pack, or closely with their human.

I know my Lab has some mild separation anxiety but it has never been out of control and he is with other dogs when I'm not home. So if he happens to be out in the yard by himself and starts whimpering piteously after five minutes to come back in, I really see no point in forcing him to be out there alone; I just let him in and all is well. My JRT cross also doesn't see the point in being alone in the yard and she will BARK! BARK! BARK!

My Rottweiler is much more independent and would probably be quite happy if I left him in the yard all day when I'm at work....but I'm not comfortable with that, so I don't.

They get plenty of runs and walks and bike rides to "just be dogs" plus the fenced part of my property is really big, with trees and grass and stuff to sniff. Right now my back door is wide open (I have a bug mesh curtain thing over it) and where are my three dogs? All lying right here in the office.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 PM

8,394 posts, read 7,482,327 times
Don't leave him/her outside alone.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM

5,789 posts, read 5,853,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A dog can enjoy being outside alone. It's fun out there. Dogs don't need to be entertained. People train them to be that way. It' s not much different from children. It's important for children to learn how to entertain themselves, but some parents never give them time alone and costantly provide stimulation. That's not healthy. There needs to be a balance of interaction with others and alone time.

I agree. My dogs love just laying in the grass and soaking up the sunshine sometimes.
Everyone is assuming it's "5 minutes".

Everyone is assuming the dog is normal and balanced to begin with.

You are saying "dogs" not a SINGLE dog who obviously has a clueless owner or she would not have posted that OP that way.

There is no comparison. Especially between YOUR pack and environment - an experienced dog person - and the OP. And no surprise it wasn't important enough to respond or even give more info.

KINDA like leaving your dog outside barking and not responding.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 247 times
Default Maybe a dog isn't for you

Dog Tip: Backyard Dog, Outdoor Dog: Facts, Guidance, Solutions

Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 1,220,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Dogs are dogs. I am stuck taking care of two old mutts that belong to my eldest daughter...The old beagle is snoring on the floor...the other dog thinks he is the husband of my daughter and he is relaxing on her bed looking like a human...He knows I can not stand animals on human beds...it's dirty...but he knows my daughter is boss and pays the bills...My daughter will be traveling this summer and MAX is going have to sleep on the floor - where he belongs....and he knows it....Dogs will figure out the human pecking order and take advantage of that knowledge. Don't let a dog dominate you.............YOU are the alpha creature...in the meantime MAX can pretend he is person.....till the boss leaves....She has spoiled the mutt.
If it is your daughters bed and not yours, why do you care? I hope she knows you consider sharing your home with her pets being "stuck" taking care of them. Maybe she will reconsider how much she leaves them in your care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs