U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,846 times

Advertisements

My dog crys and barks when left outside alone. I was wondering is there anything I can do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Don't leave him outside alone. Stay outside with him. Take him inside when you are going inside. He wants to be with the pack.

My lab would always do that. He loved being outside while we were out in the yard. If we stepped inside for a moment, he'd start barking for us. My basset could not have cared less. He'd stay out there forever smelling everything. Now that the basset is older, he too barks whenever we go inside without him. We never left them outside when they didn't want to be. And zoning ordinances restrict barking to 10 minutes or you get fined.

So, treat your dog better. You'll have a happy dog. You'll avoid a fine. Your neighbors will be happy too.

If this is an "outside" dog, find a breed rescue group to foster your dog so it can have a better life with another family.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 4,168,001 times
+1, Hopes. Why would you leave your dog alone outside. Would you leave a child outside alone with nothing to stimulate it.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
What Hopes said. Chances are, your dog isn't scared, he's lonely and doesn't like being separated from you.

I have a big yard and three dogs but they are house dogs. None of them like to spend a lot of time in the yard unless I'm out there. The Lab in particular will whimper and fuss, he hates being alone.

Hopefully your dog isn't left alone in the yard all the time, that is really unfair to him. (And unfair to your neighbors, if he barks a lot.)

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 AM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
Why would anyone get a dog only to make it stay outside all the time. Shows a complete ignorance about the nature of dogs. Find a new home for this dog unless you can properly care for it.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM

Well to be fair we don't know if the OP's dog is outside all the time, most of the time or if he starts barking after only five minutes outside...

But clearly if he is unhappy outside by himself even if only after five minutes, the solution is simple in answer to the OP's question: let the dog inside!

About five minutes alone in the yard is my Lab's limit. Enough time to sniff around, do his business. Then he wants back in. He's pretty velcro.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM

3,730 posts, read 8,176,609 times
Well, there's little info given, we dont know that the dog is spending all day outside but imo the barking is the dog's way of telling its owner it doesnt want to be outside alone so I would stay outside w/ the dog or take it for walks - it'll make for a much happier dog and owner - we never leave ours outside alone anyway, they're very people oriented and even fenced-in yards arent foolproof, they can get out, it's not worth taking a chance that they will, why chance it, have heard too many horror stories of dogs going missing.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Kelly if you can provide a few more details you'll get better answers...as you can see we're all just speculating here.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM

400 posts, read 240,156 times
Damn people, she might just be trying to let the dog out to use the bathroom and then letting him back in a few minutes later.

We have a fenced in back yard and when my dog reached 7-8 months old I would let him outside alone to use the bathroom while I was doing other things. He would use the bathroom and want to come right back in and would start knocking on the door. Thankfully he never barked. I would ignore him and he would eventually stop and go back out to the yard and just hang out. He eventually figured out that I was coming back to let him in.

Now at 14 months he doesn't mind being outside alone for 15-30 minutes or so. A dog doesn't need to be underneath you 24/7 unless you train them that way.

How close are you to your neighbors? Might be hard to fix if he's constantly barking when he's alone outside.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Damn people, she might just be trying to let the dog out to use the bathroom and then letting him back in a few minutes later.

We have a fenced in back yard and when my dog reached 7-8 months old I would let him outside alone to use the bathroom while I was doing other things. He would use the bathroom and want to come right back in and would start knocking on the door. Thankfully he never barked. I would ignore him and he would eventually stop and go back out to the yard and just hang out. He eventually figured out that I was coming back to let him in.

Now at 14 months he doesn't mind being outside alone for 15-30 minutes or so. A dog doesn't need to be underneath you 24/7 unless you train them that way.

How close are you to your neighbors? Might be hard to fix if he's constantly barking when he's alone outside.
Obviously you've never owned a Bichon. There are some companion dogs who were bred to be underfoot 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs