U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM

4,880 posts, read 2,355,006 times

Advertisements

We currently have 2 dogs - a Pit Bull 1 1/2 yrs and a terrier/beagle mix 2 yrs. Our pit bull, Tessa, I got for my son for his birthday when she was 2 months - but she has become my dog so I wanted to get another for my son. We've gotten all our dogs from the SPCA and I found a beautiful 3 1/2 month old pit bull on Thurs. Due to the fact that he hadn't been neutered - we can't pick him up until tomorrow.

Now here's where I need some help - they called today to say that he had his surgery and did well - but they think he has kennel cough. I wasn't home so they left a message and asked me to call back. Unfortunately, I didn't get home until after they closed today. I'm not sure at this point if I should even take the pup as I don't want my other 2 to catch it. We could restrict the pup to downstairs as my other 2 don't go in the basement, but I don't really know if it's fair to bring a new pup into the household and not have interaction between the 3 dogs for 3-6 weeks. I know, Gunner - the terrier/beagle will be whining to high heaven because he is a drama queen, and Tessa the Pit - thinks she's everyone's mother.

Anyone want to chime in?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 PM

26,582 posts, read 63,014,599 times
Kennel cough can be a big problem. We bought a puppy at a pet store who had kennel cough. They said they woudl pay to finish treatment to get him well, so we went ahead with the purchase. It got worse. Eventually the vet had to put him in a steam room with antibiotics in the steam. Pet store wanted to just put him down and give us another one. We said not, We were attached to the dog. It ended up costing $2000 for treatment. (I think the pt store actually paid it which is weird because we paid $1200 for the dog)

Anyway, you do not want it spreading through your other dogs. $2000 times 3 is $6000 in case you need some math assistance (we are taxing my math skills here).

Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,249,582 times
Coldjensens experience is extreme. Usually kennel cough is self-limiting like a cold, although it can require antibiotics. Generally, dogs in the home don't catch kennel cough from incoming dogs. The stress of the shelter lowers dog's immune system and they are more likely to get sick. I've brought two dogs home with kennel cough, took no special precautions, and my dogs that were already in the home did not get sick, either time.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,359,957 times
Our neighbor's puppy had kennel cough and it didn't have a problem. I really don't think you'll have a problem since older dogs aren't as strongly impacted by kennel cough since their immune systems are stronger than puppies. If you're uncomfortable, ask them if they can foster her until she's better so your other dogs are protected. If you don't adopt her, they will have to foster her anyway so I would hope they will honor your wishes and do what they can to help you until she's ready to join you in your home.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,478,577 times
I foster dogs. Several come down with KC or an upper respiratory infection shortly after I get them because they caught something at the shelter. Some get very sick but they each have recovered. My own dogs rarely catch it because my dogs are healthy and up to date on their bordatella vaccinations. Sometimes they will get a slight cold...a little cough for a few days. If your dogs are not up to date on their bordatella vaccination, they may get a more serious case of KC.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,373,682 times
I tend to agree with subject2change; the vast majority of the time KC is not a big deal. Many vets give antiobiotics prophylactically.
I wonder what the incubation period is? Perhaps call your vet and ask?
I would take the pup home, personally.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,595,351 times
I would take the pup home too, provided your other dogs have had the bordetella vaccine. You might also keep the new dog separated for several days to be super careful. But our last two dogs contracted KC at daycare years ago (a strain not covered in the vaccine, so be careful) and it honestly was not a big deal. they coughed for less than a week, they took antibiotics to prevent pneumonia, and then they were fine. In fact, they acted fine the whole time they had it.

If you take the dog home, keep his water and toys separate.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,214,683 times
Your vet can probably help you decide. I think you should PLAN on them getting it and see if the vet says "It's no big deal". I don't happen to feel that way, but that's my personality. Plus he just had surgery with what I feel is a compromised immune system, even if temporary or slight.

What you're essentially doing is going against all regular medical advise, though right? (no offense)

I would never bring a dog in with kennel cough. Even if I felt sorry for it or could justify all kinds of reasons. "It'll heal better in a home". "Poor puppy stuck in a shelter" That type of thing. I've learned not to make decisions with my heart way too many times. Also I feel my first responsibility is to the dogs in my house already. Even if your dogs have had the Bordetella vax it's not guaranteed to work so you're looking at the six weeks like you said for every thing to cycle IF they all clear properly.

I thought I isolated my friend's two dogs, too when he came to visit. A Pit and a terrier. My bulldog got deathly ill and it was dx kennel cough/upper respiratory. He caught it from them. They were crazy wild even with the kennel cough asymptomatic. We finally heard the Pit's voice but the little one no. I don't need my high risk bulldog put in physical challenges because they are hard enough to keep alive anyway LOL. So yeah he may be an exception but the drama is the same.

I wonder if he can get it back from them 3 weeks later?? I never thought to ask anybody that question.

What's the rush? - is how I feel. Is the basement a normal family room with people etc? Or is he going to be down there alone in a typical basement?

Only you can compare his time doing that versus where he is now.

Here's some info:

Kennel Cough: Symptoms, Treatments, Contagious, Causes, and More

Treating and Preventing Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is contagious. If you think your dog might have the condition, you should keep him away from other animals and contact your veterinarian.

Although most cases of kennel cough will resolve without treatment, medications may speed recovery or minimize symptoms during the course of infection. These include antibiotics that target Bordetella bacteria and cough medicines.

You may also find that keeping your dog in a well-humidified area and using a harness instead of a collar, especially for dogs that strain against a leash, will minimize the coughing.

Most dogs with kennel cough recover completely within three weeks, though it can take up to six weeks in older dogs or those with other medical conditions. Because serious, ongoing kennel cough infection can lead to pneumonia, be sure to follow up with your veterinarian if your dog doesn't improve within the expected amount of time. Also, if your dog at any time has symptoms of rapid breathing, not eating, or listlessness, contact your vet right away, as these could be signs of more serious conditions.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 AM

4,880 posts, read 2,355,006 times
Thanks so much for all the advise. I plan on calling the SPCA first thing and finding out the situation. The puppy was taken in over 2 weeks ago but never put up on the web site until this past Thurs so I don't know if it was in foster care or not. I do plan on asking how many of the other dogs in the facility have it. I hate to be suspicious but I was told that 3 others had interest in the pup before I got to the SPCA and they gave me some flack when I adopted him about not doing a meet and greet - even though it wasn't needed because he is under 4 months. They even had the behaviorist come and talk to me as well as printing me out material on how to introduce the pup to the others. This was the first time adopting that I felt uncomfortable.

I would think that all our information about past adoptions, we have adopted 8 dogs and a cat, should have been on their computer system - and we have never returned an animal. All have been like our kids and showered with love and affection. All have been up to date on their vaccinations and if a problem arises, we immediately contact the vet.

We have a finished basement and my son has his bedroom down there so the pup will have plenty of company. For some reason our terrier would never venture down the basement stairs and neither will the pit so I'll have no problem keeping them separated - but I will definitely expect whining from their wanting to play.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,781,241 times
I wouldn't bring the dog home until it had fully recovered.
Kennel Cough can be nasty and the Bordatella vaccines only covers a few strains of KC.Plus it is carried on clothing.
It isn't fair to your dogs.I am surprised a Rescue would release a dog with KC.
I am not saying to not adopt the dog,I should think if you put a holding deposit on the dog,it will be yours when the time is right for the dog to be sent home.

All my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or