Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 133,976 times

Advertisements

I have 2 9 year old cavalier King Charles spaniels that, up until last week, were very healthy dogs. Out of the blue one of them, when he was walking he leapt up in the air and yelped. I originally thought he had been spooked or had stood on something because when I touched and inspected his leg and paw all seemed fine. This happened a couple of times over the week and I was advised to give him baby aspirin, which I did, all seemed fine. Then yesterday he yelped a couple of times and I found him hidden away behind the bins shaking. I brought him inside and hugged him till he stopped shaking. Today there has been no yelps but he seems to be struggling a bit and he was lay in the kitchen shaking. Any advise will be greatly received as we have to wait till next Friday to get him in the vets because of the enormous costs to take him. The other one is perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
That dog need to see a vet NOW.

Borrow the money or sell something.... or you might not have that dog at all by next Friday.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I agree with the above.
Cavs are notoriously prone to a number of serious disorders - seizures, strokes, syringomyelia, joint problems.
It would be irresponsible to wait a week to get your dog to the vet. You need to figure out a way to come up with the $$ now, if your vet won't work with you. There's always Care Credit.
Healthcare and Medical Financing for Consumers | CareCredit™

Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Looks like it might be ivdd?? He has been given steroids and he has to have cage rest.and go back Monday. Trust me my dogs mean more to me than anything. I just have everything crossed now he will be ok.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
So you did take him to the vet? I hope so and I hope your pup gets better.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Yep I did. We have to return Monday and yes you were right money should not have come first... And so I swallowed my pride and asked a family member. He does seem settled at he mo, but should know more on Monday.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 AM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Cavaliers are my heart dogs. Cavlover, you might want to check out cavalierhealth.org, specifically SM (syringomeylia). I love to share this website with any dog owner as it is a wealth of fabulous information. There is a wonderful support group at uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/ArnoldChiari_dogs/ that can guide you
to competent help should you have questions.

Please do keep us updated on how your baby is doing.

Sorry, I missed your update. Still a good idea to check out the cavalier health website.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Pet Credit Card - Veterinary Payment Options | CareCredit™

Do it NOW!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavlover1256 View Post
Yep I did. We have to return Monday and yes you were right money should not have come first... And so I swallowed my pride and asked a family member. He does seem settled at he mo, but should know more on Monday.
I'm so glad you got him to the vet after all. Poor little guy was probably really hurting; hope the steroids make him feel better and the vet can get his back fixed.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavlover1256 View Post
You did the right thing.....I am so relieved.....but not as relieved as your dog I'm sure. His pain has probably already lessened considerably.

Your dogs are seniors now.....you need to start putting money aside for vet bills, so you have it when you need it. And...... bless your relative for helping.

I sure hope your little one has a complete recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs