Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,420,462 times

Advertisements

MinPins are notoriously hard to housebreak. I don't know if it's because they are so small so the little bit of urine is hard to spot, therefore hard to correct.... or if it runs in certain lines,???
I have known several that had to wear belly bands as adults and never did become trustworthy.

My suggestion... treat him just like you would a baby puppy- take it all the way back to the beginning with limited water available (give water, just don't leave it out all the time), crate training and outside every 1/2 hr and upon waking.

May try your patience, but if you love this dog... worth the effort.
I would also suggest searching out a MinPin Facebook page, join it and start reading!!!! You can learn tons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 PM

263 posts, read 437,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
MinPins are notoriously hard to housebreak. I don't know if it's because they are so small so the little bit of urine is hard to spot, therefore hard to correct.... or if it runs in certain lines,???
I have known several that had to wear belly bands as adults and never did become trustworthy.
Over the decades, I have personally rescued/fostered about 3 dozen MinPins. All ages, both genders, intact & altered, & perfectly healthy to broken bones or severe behavioral issues. The foster home environment included a house, a 23rd-floor apartment, & a 3rd-floor apartment.

I've also fostered about 2 dozen other small breed dogs.

I disagree that MinPins are notoriously hard to housebreak. In my experience, that's not true any more or less so-than other small dog breeds & unless it's a medical/neurological issue, the success of housebreaking is based on the patience & skills of the humans involved.

Most dogs want to bond with a human. Once bonded with a human, most dogs want to make that human happy. Most dogs --perhaps especially small dogs that could be prey to other small animals like foxes, coyotes, etc. -- don't want to go to the bathroom near whatever they consider to be their nest. If you keep a dog in a crate, that crate becomes it's nest, but if you give it the run of a normal house or apartment *and* offer it reasonable access to an outdoors area or other designated 'latrine' spot, it won't choose to go to the bathroom in the house. A male dog 'marking' is a physiological train that can definitely be difficult to limit to outdoor areas, depending on if/when the dog was neutered, etc. but again, I don't think the breed is relevant.

Also, just for the record, a Chihuahua-MinPin "ChiPin" mix is NOT a 'designer-dog' trend & lets PLEASE not start to turn it into one. A true mix of the two is usually going to be an accident, or the deliberate result of a stupid, unscrupulous breeder who is trying to generate more $$ & publicity by claiming it's a trend.

Volunteering for several decades at a couple western-US animal shelters, I've seen many black & tan MinPins listed as Chihuahuas & plenty of black & tan Chihuahuas listed as MinPins. It'd take a DNA test to really determine what was what, and it really doesn't matter to me as I focus on the individual dog, but generally, MinPins are a rarer breed & thus sell for much more $$ than the more common Chihuahuas tend to.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 537 times
Need help on potty training 2 month old Chi pin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs