Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,251,065 times

Advertisements

I have used Heartgard in the past, and Frontline. I've even used that cheaper stuff Wal-Mart sells, but I realized that isn't good. I've always got the stuff from the vet, but my vet is charging more and I was thinking of that site, 1-800-Pet-Meds. Does anyone here use that? You have to have a prescription though right? Isn't it rather awkward to ask your vet for the script so you can get it elsewhere? Seems rather odd, hey just give me the script, but I don't want to get it from you.

But anyway, Pet Meds it seems might not require a script for Iverhart? I was using Iverhart for a bit. Seems some people say it's better, but then I heard of Fortis (sp?) it is also for fleas but not ticks? But I thought I read some say it is not as good for dogs, or certain dogs? Well now I want to make sure I get what is best for my dogs (medium size lab mixes).

We've lived in other countries with our dogs where preventatives weren't needed, then we move around where they are, etc. I currently live where I'm told different things. I was told by a vet when we first moved here they do not need to be on any preventative here, but once we settled and got a permanent vet (which we trust and is highly recommended) we were told maybe, it depends - flea maybe not unless they are going to dog parks or in public. Heartworm, some dog owners do, some don't. However, I don't like the idea of not having them on one, so I want to continue regardless. Better safe than sorry, I don't care. However, I'm wondering if I should do Heartgard, or Iverhart, or Fortis, or is there something else, is Frontline the best, etc.

Anyway, I was curious about everyone's opinions on brands, and the 800 pet meds site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,345,981 times
Some vets will charge you a small fee to write the scrip to fill elsewhere but more and more they are either willing to do so or are trying to come close to the costs of mail in places. They can't force you to buy from them.

My preference is to use Drs. Foster & Smith for my prescriptions or Costco, which is now carrying some of the most common pet scrips. You don't have to be a member of Costco to fill scrips there.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Zugor, that is good to know. We are wanting to become members of Costco anyway, my husband's mom is putting us on her membership for my birthday (hopefully) and we want to shop there regularly. If it happens in time for the next fill we may do that. I will also make sure to re-check my vets price against other prices (Costco & pet meds). I like the convenience of having the meds delivered to my door. I love my vet, but we are moving and it is a little out of my way to be driving there every time I want to pick up a refill, and they are not open on weekends. With my work schedule, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to pick them up. I prefer not to buy a year's worth at a time. So far my dogs only go for their yearly shots anyway so we don't go often.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,911,118 times
If a vet charges you to write a prescription, find a new vet. They should either match prices of the retailers you want to go to, or offer the products you want. We have also used Dr. Foster & Smith for our prescriptions because they seem to be the easiest to deal with and don't mind following up with the vet. Plus, the prices they offer are 100% better than what the vet charges. I understand they make money from their prescriptions, but if my vet wants to get my business for that, they need to match prices, otherwise I have to use Dr. Foster and Smith. I have thought about using Target or Costco, but I am so happy with Dr. Foster and Smith that I don't see the point. The prices aren't that different.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Thank you. I had never heard of Dr Foster and Smith. At this point, I would only use an online to save from having to drive to the vet every few months if my work schedule doesn't allow it. I tend to work only when they are open, and I can't really take off (or I hate to) just to go pick up pet meds. Otherwise, I will ask if they price match. It's been awhile I honestly don't recall what I paid. I know they are a really, really good vet and when I sat in the waiting room on my first visit, other patients just randomly started telling me how great they were. So, I can't imagine I need to go elsewhere. But I am glad for this advice, so I know what to do. Thanks guys.

Does anyone have a preference toward things like Iverhart, Heartgard, etc? Does anyone prefer the K9 Advantix?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,382,414 times
Our terrier mix gets a monthly application of Revolution (selamectin) applied to the back of the neck. Not recommended for collies/herding breeds. We bought it from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,911,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Thank you. I had never heard of Dr Foster and Smith. At this point, I would only use an online to save from having to drive to the vet every few months if my work schedule doesn't allow it. I tend to work only when they are open, and I can't really take off (or I hate to) just to go pick up pet meds. Otherwise, I will ask if they price match. It's been awhile I honestly don't recall what I paid. I know they are a really, really good vet and when I sat in the waiting room on my first visit, other patients just randomly started telling me how great they were. So, I can't imagine I need to go elsewhere. But I am glad for this advice, so I know what to do. Thanks guys.

Does anyone have a preference toward things like Iverhart, Heartgard, etc? Does anyone prefer the K9 Advantix?
We prefer Heartguard because it is easier to give than a pill and we tend to do topicals for flea prevention. We aren't really stuck with a certain brand.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 AM

19,359 posts, read 27,567,150 times
I noticed you are in AZ. I lived in the Phoenix area for 25+ years and every vet we had told us to use a flea and tick treatment for the dogs. Ticks ARE quite common. In fact, when we temporarily discontinued the tick treatment for a few months (on the vets recommendations due to another medical problem), she got ticks! The one and only time.

And I can't say I've ever heard of a good reason (except other medical problems) to NOT give a dog heartworm prevention meds. The risk is just too high.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,196,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Our terrier mix gets a monthly application of Revolution (selamectin) applied to the back of the neck. Not recommended for collies/herding breeds. We bought it from Drs. Foster & Smith.
Do you need a prescription from your vet???

I always do........I would love to find a place I did not need the vet.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM

175 posts, read 587,719 times
I have been using 1-800-Pet-MEDS for years. I buy Heartguard and Frontline.
You do not need to ask your vet for a written perscription, you just provide your vets info when you order from 1-800-Pet-MEDS and they will call your vet for the script.
I just orderd Heartguard last week and my vets office did call me to verify which dog I was buying for so they can also keep a record of it.
Once you start buying from them you will get coupons and the Frontline (with coupon) was cheaper than Costco. They also have free shipping over 39.00.
I love being able to order and pay by pay-pal and it is delivered right to my door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs