U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,485,524 times

Advertisements

The vet said that rubbing behavior (rubbing against the couch) is likely due to marking territory. He does have allergies (sneezing and some hair loss around the eyes). Would a holistic diet help? What brand would you recommend? Solid Gold? Something else? He is eating Nature's recipe, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM

4,662 posts, read 15,794,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
The vet said that rubbing behavior (rubbing against the couch) is likely due to marking territory. He does have allergies (sneezing and some hair loss around the eyes). Would a holistic diet help? What brand would you recommend? Solid Gold? Something else? He is eating Nature's recipe, now.
Try Canidae, my dogs have both environmental and food allergies. I went from having them on allergy meds three seasons of four to maybe a pill or two for the entire year.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,239,295 times
Wheat is a common dog allergen, but we had a dog once that was allergic to corn. Just something to tuck away in your mind in case you have trouble finding the cause .

Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,485,524 times
The vet advised me giving him benadryl (children's). I was just considering the diet. I will check the ingredients of the dog food. He was sneezing, though, when he first came.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,436,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Wheat is a common dog allergen, but we had a dog once that was allergic to corn. Just something to tuck away in your mind in case you have trouble finding the cause .
I understand that we should avoid all pet foods that list corn in the ingredients. It's simply a filler, and there's no benefit to the dog from it.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,136,062 times
Shadow has a long list of food allergies, plus environmental. She is doing very well on Solid Gold Wolf King.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM

1,311 posts, read 6,009,749 times
I would definitely change the diet. don't use any human meds if you can avoid it. I got a stern talking to from my vet when I did something like that a few months ago with children's tylenol. Ya, big mistake there.

It all depends on your fur baby. The best thing to do is get a bunch of samples which you can get from the specialty pet food stores and see what your dog will like and respond well to. Look at the ingredients of the old dog food. Sometimes your pet won't like what another will so it will be trial and error. The samples works well since you don't have to buy it all the time. Solid Gold I've heard over and over great results but there's also Canidae, Wellness, and I know some go the raw diet route which is I feel probably the best route if you have the time and money. I can get a few sites for ya soon.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 PM

389 posts, read 3,294,997 times
Without knowing what the allergy actually is, nobody can say if a diet change will help, the only way to find out is to go for it and see what happens. Some really good, high quality foods are Innova, Wellness, Canidae, California natural, Wysong, there are other great foods out there, the thing that makes them good is that they are all human grade ingredients (no byproduct) and the main ingredient is the protein source, which in the case of an allergic dog should be a novel protein like fish, buffalo, kangaroo, duck, venison....something that they have not been exposed to.

Something else to note with allergies, keep track of flare ups (if there are any) if things seem to get worse if there seems to be a pattern, it could be seasonal environmental type allergies. If the symptoms are constant/unchanging, it could be anything.

Good Luck

Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 6,009,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Without knowing what the allergy actually is, nobody can say if a diet change will help, the only way to find out is to go for it and see what happens. Some really good, high quality foods are Innova, Wellness, Canidae, California natural, Wysong, there are other great foods out there, the thing that makes them good is that they are all human grade ingredients (no byproduct) and the main ingredient is the protein source, which in the case of an allergic dog should be a novel protein like fish, buffalo, kangaroo, duck, venison....something that they have not been exposed to.

Something else to note with allergies, keep track of flare ups (if there are any) if things seem to get worse if there seems to be a pattern, it could be seasonal environmental type allergies. If the symptoms are constant/unchanging, it could be anything.

Good Luck
I agree on keeping track. Even keeping a journal is a wise thing to do.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,142,526 times
What about chicken soup for Dogs Lovers Soul..... My dogs eat this it has no corn it.All healthy food for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs