U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,796,406 times

Advertisements

Friend I know how you feel. Our akita had diabetes for over 2 years before her condition along with age made it apparent that she was starting to suffer. She lost weight from an infection we weren't aware of but linked to the diabetes. After getting her on insulin she quickly gained back the weight. The only thing you can do is to control what she eats give her a daily walk and with your vets advice adjust an insulin shot to be given with her meals. Giving the shots is no big deal and a 25 dollar bottle (human insulin) can last 3 or 4 weeks. My suggestion is to get her on insulin and then wait and see . Your dog can easily have several more years of quality life if you are willing to give the shots and have a regular AIC check done at the vets office. Some people can check the sugar levels with a blood sample at home and this helps. If your dog just wont let you prick her ear or other place to get the blood the A1C test will let the vet know how much insulin to give. It can vary and you need to be aware of how much you give her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 AM

803 posts, read 1,628,003 times
hi crestliner, thanks for sharing your story about your akita. My dogs diabetes showed up seriously out of nowhere. a month before the sudden weight loss she was fine and everything. a month later, skinny..and overnite, she went blind it seemed. the Diabetes came on so aggressive.

Sadly, i had to put her to sleep. she was really sick 2 nites in a row and i knew that it would only get worse from there. it was exactly how the dr said i would know when to put her to sleep. my dog stopped eating, and just kept vomiting and diarrhea-ing. my poor dog. aghhh im gonna cry.

at least theres memories, rite?

the good ones i mean, not the ones of her sick.. its so sad when they leave us but we have to remember how much joy they brought to our life in such a short time. those happy moments are the ones that shine thru when our days feel dark and dreary. i miss my dog. im forever a dog lover.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM

559 posts, read 1,211,663 times
First off Hugs to you and my wish for you to find strength to handle your more then full load. I just read the update and am sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and thank you to your husband.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM

803 posts, read 1,628,003 times
aww, thanks so much Casper324! i really appreciate your nice words.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 408 times
I put my diabetic dog down on Tuesday. He needed surgery for kidney stones and the vet called me before I brought him to let me know he was diabetic. I did not have much time to think it through, but I decided to euthanize him. It would have been his second kidney stone surgery. He was not the type of dog that you could give shots too, he would most likely bite me. We decided that where he predisposed to both conditions, it would be real hard to manage his lifestyle. I am not a quitter. I have had sickly pets that I have revolved my life around. But yet, I feel guilt. I am finding so many websites about "succesfull" insulin "stories". I found one realistic website about pets who just got sicker and sicker. I spoke to a grief counselor, this is not an easy choice; each pet is different. Mandy, you made a good choice. Your pet is in a better place, his last days were not filled with stress, but with unselfish love. Be good to you, you have plenty of love to give a new pwt who needs a loving home.

Much love and hug to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or