U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 18,825 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 mo old female shih tzu and she has developed scratching along her sides and tummy and licking her private area. I have switched her dog food to no grain Wellness dog food and has not helped as of yet. She does not have any redness or sores and I have had her to the vet and he suggested that it could be dry skin and he really looked her skin over and said it looks really healthy, but I need to take her back. I also wonder if this is something that she will outgrow, and does anyblody have any suggestions for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM

8,992 posts, read 9,410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shih tzu lover View Post
I have a 5 mo old female shih tzu and she has developed scratching along her sides and tummy and licking her private area. I have switched her dog food to no grain Wellness dog food and has not helped as of yet. She does not have any redness or sores and I have had her to the vet and he suggested that it could be dry skin and he really looked her skin over and said it looks really healthy, but I need to take her back. I also wonder if this is something that she will outgrow, and does anyblody have any suggestions for me?
This should be in the pet forum, but I'll answer anyway.

Dogs can get seasonal allergies. My chihuahua gets allergies in the summer and itches the way you describe. I give him Benadryl. Dosage is 1 mg per pound of body weight. My dog is 9 pounds so I cut a 25mg pill in half, technically giving him 12.5mg, but my vet said that is fine. It seems to help him and he has no side effects from taking it. (unlike me, who is knocked out if I take that)

If it is allergies and it isn't helped by Benadryl, your vet can give steroid shots to offer some relief.

Other than seasonal allergies, dogs can commonly have food allergies, chicken being a common one.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,727,514 times
People use Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to help with that. ACV is very helpful for many things. I try to keep that and Coconut Oil on hand. This page may help ya further. Good Luck. I had two Shih Tzu's for 16 years. They are such great dogs, I really miss my kids.

Skin Allergy Remedies for Pets

Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 16,660 times
my shishtzu she keep on scratching her body...licking her private part...she loves to eat chicken,&chicken liver...do you think thats the reason she eat that kind of food makes her itchy??? she's already have her injection for her flea ....hope you can give me some advice tnx&god bless!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM

212 posts, read 548,569 times
I have a Shih Tzu who has allergies, I give him children's benadryl. Also Shih Tzu are known to be allergic to RED Dye #40, which my Shih is allergic to, so I have to be careful when I give him any dog treats to make sure there is no red dye in there!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 AM

748 posts, read 1,036,075 times
Change her diet.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM

36,469 posts, read 43,438,848 times
My Bichon gets miserable every summer even though she has no fleas. She licks parts of her boy till they turn pink.
I have to be very careful about food. Anything animal which eats grain has that in their body too so I feed her only fish and not made in China either.

We give her benadryl every day too. I'm looking into other remedies as we speak.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM

92 posts, read 264,350 times
My dog also gets seasonal allergies.

We have found that washing her twice a week in Selsun Blue Aloe (the selenium sulfide version; recommended by vet) has helped tremendously. The sulfur is apparently good for the skin. It leaves her skin/hair super soft, which I'm guessing alleviates it's itchiness. Since she isnt scratching as much, nearly everything cleared up on its own.

Before, we were trying all kinds of medicated shampoos, diet changes, and medicine with no luck (in addition to the exorbitant costs.)

Last edited by Randmness; 07-09-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 PM

4,695 posts, read 10,091,913 times
I have to ask how often are the dogs getting baths? I think often people over bathe a dog and dry out their skin and that can lead to itching. The only dog I have ever owned that itched was my cocker and I was young and did not know better, did not understand how diet and over bathing can cause issues I had a vet that I ended up leaving as his answer had nothing to do about diet but was drugs and baths with special shampoos yet she still had skin issues

Since that dog I have learned that like us dogs are what they eat. With Jazz ,Dash and Phoenix my vet use to ask what I used to bathe them as they had such healthy skin and during the summer many dogs here get what was termed the Santa Barbara Itch well they never had it. I said it is not what I put on them but what I put in them as they ate a fantastic diet and got lots of Omega oils as I gave them fish oil and ground up flaxseed and coconut oil. They rarely ever got a bath and maybe it was once a year or more but only if they got into something that smelled. They loved to play in mud but I would just let it dry then it fell off or brushed out ,no bath for looking dirty even grass stains on Dash's white paws would be gone by the next day yet I do not recall him having a self cleaning mode that I pushed a button for. They swam in the ocean but I never gave them a bath afterwards. They never had any hot spots or itchy skin and people were always asking me what I used for dog shampoo as Jazz smelled good but it was just her natural smell. I would say she has not had a bath in 9 months so it is just her Chaos and Dazzle also have healthy skin and get a similar diet and rare baths.

The dog that had a horrible issue with his skin was my parents CollieX Mal and he had lupus and would itch and pull his hair out so that he had bloody patches all over. Their vet kept him on steroids, antibiotics and special weekly baths for years yet he suffered. My mom God rest her soul did what ever a doctor or vet told her as she tended to view them as Gods. After she died the stress that poor dog went under left him even worse, he looked horrible. I was staying with my dad for awhile to help him out and my dad was not a fan of doctors or medicines so with little effort I switched the dogs diet to what mine ate, weaned him off the steroids and antibiotics stopped his weekly baths and sprayed him severeal times a day with water that was mixed with a product called Willards Water and for the first time in yers that old dog quit pulling his hair out,quit itching and started growing in a beautiful coat, he was looking great . Sadly the years of being on steroids had taken a toll on him and he developed great muscle weakness and about a year later could not stand up on his own and kept falling down and at 100 lbs as he was a BIG dog my dad in his 80's could not get him up so the tough decision was made to put him down. He was a beautiful looking dog when he died too bad he had sepnt so many years on such horrible drugs.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:49 AM

13 posts, read 25,867 times
I used this to help my cat with itchy skin...It is for dogs or cats...
Pet Shampoo
INGREDIENTS: 2 c water
1 oz glycerin
1/2 c Dawn dish soap (the original kind...it repels/kills fleas)
1/2 c white vinegar

DIRECTIONS: 1. Add glycerin to water
2. S.l.o.w.l.y stir in dish soap
3. Pour in Vinegar
4. Stir for 5 min
Store in a cool/dark place and always shake before use.

I did change my kitty to grain free food and changed her cat litter as well. However, neither of those things fixed the skin problem. The vet determined it was allergies and gave her a steroid shot. That did help...however it is more expensive and I don't think it is a very healthy long term solution. Now that she isn't itchy her personality has changed a lot. She is more sociable and layed back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or