Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times

Advertisements

Just curious on whether or not others here are happy with their vets.

I always dreaded taking my dogs to our vet. I've never seen the man smile. He's alway so serious and if anything in the slightest is wrong, he will scold you. He always finds a reason to charge too much (like if I bring one done for a single shot, or to check his ear after he had an ear infection) I get charged for an 'annual visit' every time. He tried to convince my mom to get expensive surgery for her 16 YEAR OLD dog, instead of just saying it's time to put her down.

Well, we just moved, and I brought them to our new vet the other night. HALLELUJA he was great! The man was funny, easy-going, and treated my dogs like kids! (Like clapping his hands & saying who wants to go first!). I just feel so happy about this, because it was always such a dreadful experience! The dogs are always stressed when they go to the vet, and stressed out mommy doesn't make it any better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
My vet is currently serving in Afghanistan. I will be glad when she is back because the male vet is not as pleasant. I love that I can call my vets office and explain what is going on and they will sometimes give me something over the phone. They are good to all of my animals. When I had to put Buddy down last November the vet was very caring and wrapped him up in a blanket and set him gently in my vehicle.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
I think the world of my vet. I am less then fond for the office staff and office procedures.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
My long-term vet died last year. He was a wonderful vet, sensible, great with animals (really, a real "dog whisperer") and a really nice person, too. He cried with me when we had to put one of my dogs to sleep. He would waive the office visit fee if I brought in a foster/rescue dog or cat. He let me make payment arrangements a couple of times when I was short. He took the time to chat and discuss and answer questions. He never ever tried to "sell" me unecessary meds, foods or procedures. His staff were all wonderful.

Currently I have two vets - the close-by one that is competent and reasonable, and more recently another vet that I am "trying out".

As to cranky vets - my previous favourite vet was like this; he was cranky and had horrible people skills. But he was also a very competent, calm, sensible and educated veterinarian and he had a big following because of this and despite his somewhat unpleasant bedside manner.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Sorry but I LOVE my vet . He is the best and to be honest I have liked all the vets he has had in the practice over the years so if he is gone I have no issue seeing any of them. Chaos loves them all too! weird dog!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
We love our vet. We only started going to him last November, after our former vet made a horrible diagnostic error that led to the death of one of our dogs. We loved her too and were sorry to have to leave her, but hey, she screwed up BADLY. I think our opinion of our current vet was cemented when we had to let go of Jimmy right after Christmas. he had only been treating Jim for less than two months, yet he handled the whole situation with dignity, sensitivity and great care. He had tears in his eyes when we left. I wish we had found him years ago.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
My vet is wonderful. He actually gets down on the floor with Darcy, like a little kid. She loves him. I have also been pleased with his techs and office staff.

When we moved to Delaware, it was trial and error for a while, which I considered not only a personality problem, but also a financial problem. I have found that veterinarian care is extremely expensive here. After several veterinarians, someone at work suggested that I try our current one and I have been very happy since then. It is not always easy to find that good fit. My vet has actually given me his cell number in case of any emergency. Never had that happen before.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Just curious on whether or not others here are happy with their vets.

I always dreaded taking my dogs to our vet. I've never seen the man smile. He's alway so serious and if anything in the slightest is wrong, he will scold you. He always finds a reason to charge too much (like if I bring one done for a single shot, or to check his ear after he had an ear infection) I get charged for an 'annual visit' every time. He tried to convince my mom to get expensive surgery for her 16 YEAR OLD dog, instead of just saying it's time to put her down.

Well, we just moved, and I brought them to our new vet the other night. HALLELUJA he was great! The man was funny, easy-going, and treated my dogs like kids! (Like clapping his hands & saying who wants to go first!). I just feel so happy about this, because it was always such a dreadful experience! The dogs are always stressed when they go to the vet, and stressed out mommy doesn't make it any better!
Why did you continue to take your pet to the first vet?

Did you live in a small rural town where there was no other vet within a 30 minute drive?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I LOVE my vet, his day job for years was an Areonautical Engineer then his wife got into horses and started breeding warmbloods and while working went back to school for his 2nd doctorate in Vet Med so now his fulltime retirememnt job is being a Vet...He's really smart, really good and so quite and sweet, you'd never know he has an IQ off the charts...just real down home kinda guy. Oh and did I mention he's a real country vet and I pay not nearly what my in town friends pay.

When I had horses he was brilliant with structural lamness issues...he'd watch a horse walk and walk up and touch just the right spot and said here..amazing. I can't say enough good stuff about him.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:51 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I've had the same small animal vet for more than 20 years and he's become a close friend. He and his wife come to dinner. So, yes, I'm happy with him and wouldn't change. I can call him at home, or at the office and he knows all my animals over the years and their health histories. And maybe most importantly, he knows that if I have the feeling something is wrong, he takes it seriously. And I never feel taken advantage of. Some animal situations have involved me telling him what is happening, and I can sometimes bypass an office visit because he'll give me advice on the phone.

My just-barely one year old heeler had an epileptic attack not long ago and of course, after normal office hours, and I called him at home. It's great to have that kind of vet. I don't know what I would do without him - both as a friend and as a vet.

I haven't had the same kind of luck in finding a large animal vet that I'm entirely happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs