U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,550,413 times

Advertisements

That is one stinking cute puppy!! OMG, she is gorgeous.
We have just been through this: asleep at 10, up at 3. But we've had our puppy sleeping on the bed with us. He's been perfect about not messing in the bedroom overnight, even when his bladder was only 8 weeks old. He is now five months and able to hold it all night, yayy!

I think your routine sounds really smart, and I guess my only advice is, be patient, put up with this until her bladder is able to hold it all night, and be glad she whines to go out! She is communicating with you and you are responding, so when the crate training is over, she will know how to let you know she needs to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

526 posts, read 709,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
If you don't want to teach her that whining = getting let out of her crate, you need to set an alarm for a little bit earlier than her normal wake up time. This way we prevent the whining in the first place. So if she seems to be whining around 3 a.m., set your alarm for 2:45 and let her out for a quick potty break. Gradually set the alarm time later and later.

If you don't want to use an alarm, there really isn't much harm in letting her out when she whines in the middle of the night, as long as it is just for a boring trip outside to potty and then straight back to bed.

As her bladder develops, she'll be able to hold it longer and she'll start sleeping through the night. Any time I've had a young puppy I've always planned on waking up once in the middle of the night to let them potty. Just part of owning a puppy.

I absolutely think she should be sleeping in the bedroom with you. Pack animals, particularly babies, sleep in the company of their pack, not isolated.

She is absolutely adorable!
This! I think it's smart to take her out before the whining starts or she will learn that whining is the answer. Also, I would give her a small snack at the potty time. Seems they sleep better with something in the tummy. She's cute!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,515,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
Hello Everyone,

We finally picked up our puppy this past Friday and are enjoying our first few days as puppy parents. For the most part, she has been wonderful. She pretty much came pre-crate trained and loves going in there on her own. We made it the entire 7 hour car ride home without an accident in the car. And she's only had a handful of accidents in the house so we have her on a decent routine. She's also somewhat decent at sleeping through the night. She seems to be able to last about 5 hours as we are going to bed at 10 and she wakes up at 3. While there have been no accidents, she starts whining that she has to go out. From there, she then wakes up and whines about every 1.5 hours after that until we finally wake up completely at 6.

Our question is how should we handle this whining? I know that we should try not to react immediately to her whining so we wait to let her calm down and then get up and take her out. Should we do this? Or should we respond as soon as she starts whining? Should we try to wait her out a little bit to train her to hold it a little longer? She's only 9 weeks so we don't know if that's the best thing to do right now.

Also, since both of us work and we will want to train her to stay in her crate for several hours during the day (eventually), we would like to keep her crate downstairs and let her sleep in it during the night (we currently carry it upstairs every night to put it in our room). Is it too soon to do that? Our vet recommended to start with whatever our plan is as soon as we can to get her used to it. Eventually, after she's been completely housetrained, we wouldn't mind having her come back upstairs. But while she's in her crate, we'd like to keep the crate in the same place and get her used to it. With that in mind, if we do leave it downstairs, should we still plan on waking up at 3 to get her out or should we come down later with the hope that she can start training her self to hold it a little longer?

Thanks for your help, any advice would be appreciated!

And now, here's the pic:
The whining is good. She is letting you know she needs to go out and potty. With out Lab, the first few months were the hardest. We had to get up every couple of hours to take her outside and of course praise her every single time she went potty outside. We were very vigilant about potty training. Its rough for the first few months, but it gradually gets easier the older your puppy gets. She will eventually sleep most of the night without needing to be let out. Also, the trick to keeping them asleep, play. Just play play play. always before bed. After your pup has had her rounds of vaccines, take her for nice long walks. Remember ; A tired dog is a happy owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or