U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing what happened to Hallie. I was wondering. I'm afraid to ask, did Hallie survive?

Antibiotics is a great idea because I have MVP and need antibiotics prior to dental work myself.

I can definitely make sure he's on antibiotics ahead of time. I'll leave a message for the vet to leave a prescription for me to pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,547,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for sharing what happened to Hallie. I was wondering. I'm afraid to ask, did Hallie survive?

Antibiotics is a great idea because I have MVP and need antibiotics prior to dental work myself.

I can definitely make sure he's on antibiotics ahead of time. I'll leave a message for the vet to leave a prescription for me to pick up.
No, we lost Hallie. The pneumonia ramped up so much while our vet was telling us it was just the anesthesia wearing off slowly...and then deciding it must be hemolytic anemia. She treated Hallie for a whole day with a prednisone drip -- just what a dog with pneumonia doesn't need. So we picked her up and rushed her to the ER vet, where they diagnosed her very quickly: pneumonia and a bleeding mass on her spleen. The two conditions worked at cross purposes for a week; the spleen couldn't be removed because of the pneumonia. The pneumonia wasn't clearing up because the spleen was messing up all her vitals. So finally when they got her stable enough, they were able to remove her spleen, and she only lived 12 hours after the surgery.

She had never been ill a day in her 13 years. In fact, we always took Hallie's perfect health for granted. She died with very clean teeth, having not eaten a bit of solid food after they were cleaned. It came as a total shock and we were gutted. We're still gutted. There is a good chance the mass on her spleen was malignant, but we opted not to have it biopsied. She was already gone, and our bill at the specialty hospital was already in the unthinkable range.

By the way, our vet had also found a large mass on Jimmy's spleen when he was in for a dental seven months before Hallie. It turned out to be a nine-pound hematoma, not cancer, and he was 13 at the time. We suggested that we get films on Hallie before her dental, and our vet waved it off and said it would be too much of a coincidence to have two dogs in the same household with the same splenic mass. So we listened to her. Live and learn.

Thank you thank you thank you for considering antibiotics for him before surgery!!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
Wow! Thanks for sharing Hallie's story. That's so sad. The vet should be ashamed of herself. I'm sure she expected to be paid too. Idiots. The world is full of them. I'm so sorry that happened to Hallie. Thank you for warning me!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,547,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing Hallie's story. That's so sad. The vet should be ashamed of herself. I'm sure she expected to be paid too. Idiots. The world is full of them. I'm so sorry that happened to Hallie. Thank you for warning me!
She felt AWFUL, and no, she didn't expect to be paid. She was in tears over it, and for months afterwards, she had a photo of Hallie hanging in her office. For all I know, it's still there. We really loved her, even selected the area we'd live in based on where she was located. That is how impressed we were after talking to her before we started househunting. Yeah, we chose a vet before we ever looked at homes. So after we got Karma, I was in the area one day and stopped in to see her and make peace. She was SO relieved to see us and so happy to meet Karma, who looks just like Hallie. I think it meant the world to her that I stopped by to tell her we were doing well. This vet really loved Jimmy and Hallie and always said they were two of the sweetest and best behaved dogs she had ever had as patients.

I think she learned a lesson, though. She misdiagnosed Hallie, and before that, she had misdiagnosed Jimmy's periodontal problem. She had never heard of CUPS, the plaque allergy that rots the tissue inside the mouth. Our new vet knew what it was the instant he looked in Jimmy's mouth. She understood why we found a new vet and she was clearly very mortified. So, I can't hold a grudge. It isn't healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or