Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times

Advertisements

Is there a shampoo that has a long lasting scent? Lasting > 2-3 days?

I use baby wiipes when he comes in a from a walk (feet, butt, pee pee area and body) to keep the smell down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,717 times
good ol' Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. it's gentle enough for the dogs skin/fur, has a long lasting pleasant smell, is cheap , and makes the coat soft. i love it!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Is he stinky? If he is, maybe that will change with his new diet? Also, what about a puppy clip (really short haircut)?

I don't bathe my dogs too often. It can strip too much of their natural oils from their skin and the oils is a first line of defense for their skin (an organ, as well all know ).

When I do bathe them, I like to use a very mild shampoo for sensitive skin. I found this one at a local health food store, and while it has no real odor in the bottle, it was pleasant smelling once used on the dogs and not perfume-y:

Castor & Pollux
All Natural Head To Tail - Aloe Oatmeal Shampoo, Dry Skin Formula

My one male dog can have some sensitivities and once had hot spots from a bad grooming job (when boarding, I had him groomed and he came home with hot spots ). This worked fine and it's gentle enough to use on everyone. It comes in a cute little hydrant-shaped bottle too ! You can find it at Native Sun (Baymeadows @ 9A or San Jose Blvd in Mandarin).

With your dog's allergy issue, I'd halt on the baby wipes (try a papertowel wetted with warm water). I'd also be careful of any deoderant-type shampoo, it could cause more problems .

Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Is there a shampoo that has a long lasting scent? Lasting > 2-3 days?

I use baby wiipes when he comes in a from a walk (feet, butt, pee pee area and body) to keep the smell down.
Why does he smell so bad? Does he have skin issues? I would think the baby wipes would irritate him after a while, but why do you need to clean him each time he goes out?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 AM

He doesn't smell too bad (body) it is something around the head that smells like a dog. I brushed his teeth, his ears are fine. I think it might be the moisture from the eyes that has that smell. I remember that same smell from the Shih tzu I used to have.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
What kind of a dog is it? Shihtzu's and other dogs tend to have problems with their tear ducts and the dark stains near the eyes can actually be a fungal infection (this can happen in any breed) and that creates odor, but again it's usually not that bad but your vet can give you medication to treat it. Any odor that is so strongly offending and recurrs after bathing though is usually a sign of something wrong with the dog and warrants a trip to the vet. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,502 times
Lambert and Kay Fresh and Clean! I have used so many shampoos it is rediculous, and this is the only one that has a nice scent that stick on for days. I love this shampoo

Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
What kind of a dog is it? Shihtzu's and other dogs tend to have problems with their tear ducts and the dark stains near the eyes can actually be a fungal infection (this can happen in any breed) and that creates odor, but again it's usually not that bad but your vet can give you medication to treat it. Any odor that is so strongly offending and recurrs after bathing though is usually a sign of something wrong with the dog and warrants a trip to the vet. Good luck.
Bichon Frise. He just went to the vet and everything was fine.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Lambert and Kay Fresh and Clean! I have used so many shampoos it is rediculous, and this is the only one that has a nice scent that stick on for days. I love this shampoo
I just saw the Amazon 'ad'. It claims to last for 2 weeks.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Bichon Frise. He just went to the vet and everything was fine.
That's good. Maybe it's just his smell? Every dog has his/her own smell, maybe you're just getting used to it since it's all new?

Beyond that I would say that the next time you're at the vet, have your vet give a good look at the teeth and see if a cleaning is warranted. Also, if he wa eating lousy food before, you might be smelling something from the gut and it might change after a while.

Enjoy your stinky dog !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs