U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,838,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Use a harness. He can't slip out and you can hold it. CALMLY not with emotion and stress or power. Go SLOWLY. Don't rush the process which only makes him meet your energy.

Put him on a leash, walk him around the house and then directly into the bathroom, shut the door.

Direct him to get in the tub.

He is an intelligent breed and will understand so it simply becomes a test of who is more determined.

CALMLY. NO DRAMA.

Also once a week is TOO MUCH. And if you keep him OUTSIDE, please don't tell me because I hate hearing that.
Ican't rep this post just yet - need to spread it around more. But this info is the best.

If your dog has fleas, giving him a bath once a week isn't going to solve that issue. He needs to be put on a preventive - the kind you put directly on his skin once a month. It repels mosquitoes (which bring heartworms) and kills fleas and ticks.

You also need to treat the dog's bedding.

If you are bathing your dog once a week, you are robbing his skin and coat of essential oils. That causes dry skin and itching/scratching. So what you are doing is creating a very unhealthy situation for your dog and giving your mother the impression he may have fleas.

So stop giving him a bath so frequently (once a month in the winter is even too often), get him on one of the preventives such as Advantix (go to Petsmart or Petco, your neighborhood pet store, or your vet).

I'd also immediately start giving him either fish oil or vitamin-E capsules every other day for at least a month to restore some of the oils in his skin and hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM

8,482 posts, read 10,737,578 times
We used to wash our Husky maybe once/month in the Spring/Summer months. She hated it, but tolerated it. Afterwards, you know the routine, racing around and getting dirty again. If you give them treats before and after, it helps, with the positive reward behavioral thing.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 PM

11,815 posts, read 15,402,768 times
Our two large dogs get a short lead on a whoa post outside the house to get their baths in warmer months. Winter months we take them to a DIY dog wash place in town.

When I'm hunting they get we towel baths followed by baby wipes if they really stink (especially retrieving from water).

Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 2,272,564 times
Sorry I cant help you. I'll consider myself lucky that my dog loves getting in the tub She gets in before i"m ready for her to be in.

I wish my dog would let me use a vacuum attachment on her, I tried it once and that was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or