Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of us have seen this video but this is the first time I've heard the narration which gives more information. 16 sled dogs in the off season still know he is the boss man and respect him in everything they do. Incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I've seen that one before and it is impressive. I've seen another version of this type of behavior with Fox Hound Packs. They walk them out for exercise and training during the off season and their behavior is very similar. Watching a Fox Hound pack work is thrilling, the huntsman works off the back of a horse and blows a horn sometimes moving at a pretty quick clip. Years ago when I was still riding, I'd go out and do the "hilltopper" version and watch the pack on horse back. Note in America they are mostly drag hunts.

If interested Rita Mae Brown writes a wonderful series about Fox Hunting called the Sister Jane series. She talks a lot about the dogs and their personalities and training.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM

What kind of dogs are these? I imagined sled dogs to be huskies but these obviously aren't. Actually they don't look like really strong athletic dogs although they are very healthy.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Well there you have it. World class musher shows the same understanding as Cesar Millan. There is no doubt that both individuals speak DOG and put in the TIME required to have this happy, rewarding result.

But OMG those "ALPHA ROLLS", shame on him.

Thank you for posting this, it's awesome!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What kind of dogs are these? I imagined sled dogs to be huskies but these obviously aren't. Actually they don't look like really strong athletic dogs although they are very healthy.
Many mushers have cross breeds, it looks like he has mixed in sight hound of some kind for speed.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Many mushers have cross breeds, it looks like he has mixed in sight hound of some kind for speed.
Thank you. I learned something today.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Yeah a vet clinic's Facebook page promoting him said this:

Sprint Sled-dog Racer, Heini Winter, training his team of Eurohounds during the summer in Germany. He is a 9 time winner of the Alpen-Trail and shows his skills training these incredible athletes. The Eurohound, a crossbred dog between the Alaskan Husky and Pointer, is a great sprint dog as they naturally have both the drive and determination of the Husky and the incredible enthusiasm and athleticism of the Pointer.

I didn't see anything about Winter other than the video but here's another musher's interview with a sled dog group describing his dogs and lifestyle.

Sled Dog Central: Meet Hannes Kronbach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs