U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,853,288 times

Advertisements

How incredibly unfair this is. We all should be good citizens and she has lost her job for it.

Walmart Employee Fired After Reporting Dog Left in Hot Truck | Life With Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,573,494 times
Awful.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,892,799 times
From what I remember hearing on the radio, she was not terminated for calling the police, she was terminated for failure to obey.

This was not the person’s first run in with a pet owner who left their dog in the car. After the first incident, she was instructed not to engage in a verbal altercation with the occupant/customer of the vehicle but instead, contact the store management who will take the proper steps including calling the police. She ignored that and engaged this customer about the dog in the car instead of just following her employer’s instructions. When management spoke to her again about getting into a confrontation with the customers, she told them she will not follow their instructions and will continue calling the police herself. According to the radio reporter, that is when and why they terminated her.

As much as I commend her for her concern, she should have followed the store’s instructions.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,452,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
From what I remember hearing on the radio, she was not terminated for calling the police, she was terminated for failure to obey.

This was not the personís first run in with a pet owner who left their dog in the car. After the first incident, she was instructed not to engage in a verbal altercation with the occupant/customer of the vehicle but instead, contact the store management who will take the proper steps including calling the police. She ignored that and engaged this customer about the dog in the car instead of just following her employerís instructions. When management spoke to her again about getting into a confrontation with the customers, she told them she will not follow their instructions and will continue calling the police herself. According to the radio reporter, that is when and why they terminated her.

As much as I commend her for her concern, she should have followed the storeís instructions.
My guess is her management did not see calling the police for the dog's safety as a priority. Just a hunch. Yes, she was wrong not to follow orders.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

22,772 posts, read 28,846,881 times
It's one thing for her to call the police. It is an entirely different thing for her to be standing out in the parking lot in her uniform and arguing with a customer.

Not to mention it is not smart to refuse to follow store policy.

Guys, you have to watch out for the spin the news media puts on things. They want to stir up drama and outrage, and they don't mind twisting the truth to do it.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM

22,772 posts, read 28,846,881 times
I also have a question about why she was cruising around the parking lot, looking for dogs in cars, instead of doing her job that she was being paid to do. You don't get paid to hang around doing your own thing. You get paid to get a job done.

So now she doesn't have a job and she can hang out in parking lots and argue with drivers all she wants to, on her own time.

The stores here do have policies in place about dogs in cars. I will hear them occasionally on the PA system, calling out license numbers, announcing that the dog is in distress and the police will be called if the owner doesn't take care of it immediately.

But any one of those stores would immediately fire an employee that got into a fight with a customer in the parking lot.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 AM

4,888 posts, read 2,360,968 times
The employee in question had not yet started her shift and was outside talking to some friends. Yes she should have followed rules and informed the manager, but we don't know what kind of a person he was either, and maybe she knew he'd never make an announcement or call the police.

I have never heard an announcement in any store about pets in distress here in NY.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,162,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I also have a question about why she was cruising around the parking lot, looking for dogs in cars, instead of doing her job that she was being paid to do. You don't get paid to hang around doing your own thing. You get paid to get a job done.

So now she doesn't have a job and she can hang out in parking lots and argue with drivers all she wants to, on her own time.

The stores here do have policies in place about dogs in cars. I will hear them occasionally on the PA system, calling out license numbers, announcing that the dog is in distress and the police will be called if the owner doesn't take care of it immediately.

But any one of those stores would immediately fire an employee that got into a fight with a customer in the parking lot.
She was not on the clock when the incident occurred. So she was not getting paid at the time.

She could have avoided getting fired, and still have 'done her thing' even after being told to go to management. If she was going to defy her bosses request, she should have walked away from her coworkers, called the police and kept her mouth shut, never approaching the dog owner, or said anything to her coworkers. No one would have known she had anything to do with it and would have still been able to pat herself on the back for doing the right thing.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM

12,452 posts, read 31,576,128 times
If she was off the clock.... not the stores BUSINESS.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,642,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
If she was off the clock.... not the stores BUSINESS.
To Walmart, doesn't matter if on or off the clock. One of my freind's was fired for picking up a $5 bill in the parking lot and pocketing it. Off the clock. Not even scheduled to work that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or