U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
683 posts, read 1,613,689 times
Reputation: 839

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxoPd2grpqg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
Reputation: 17199
OMG I can't believe the other one just casually went over to get the sofa bone. He's obviously the more "mature" of the two LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
683 posts, read 1,613,689 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OMG I can't believe the other one just casually went over to get the sofa bone. He's obviously the more "mature" of the two LOL.
lol, and he is the 7 month old. the other one is 1.5 yrs.

on another note: do you see anything alarming or of concern in their interaction? sometimes the younger one does get a bit 'snarly" when the older one is trying to get his bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,580,700 times
Reputation: 4251
Wow, so young and they're not tearing each other to bits! I don't dare give Karma and Teddy real bones yet. I'm still working on getting them to share without getting nasty. I couldn't finish watching it because my two went crazy as soon as they heard the music and then ramped it up when your dogs chimed in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
683 posts, read 1,613,689 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Wow, so young and they're not tearing each other to bits! I don't dare give Karma and Teddy real bones yet. I'm still working on getting them to share without getting nasty. I couldn't finish watching it because my two went crazy as soon as they heard the music and then ramped it up when your dogs chimed in!
I typically only give them when I can supervise because the older one sometimes annoys the younger with his shenanigans and it very well could get nasty. But I can give them regular bones and they don't fight over them at all, they typically chew for awhile, then trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
Reputation: 17199
Well since you asked

What "concerned" me was the older one whining. I assumed he was looking at a human to the side? Or maybe you guys have a joke about that vocalizing or something? So it could be not such a big thing but I always get concerned with that.

But from just the short footage, as a dog walker/pet sitter I don't allow whining. That's anxiety. I "correct" it meaning I don't encourage it or reward it by petting them etc I say "hey" or "shhht" in a normal voice - maybe snap my fingers quick but always with the energy of calmly informing them of something. I interrupt that brain so they shut it off and move onto something more productive. OR think "OH OK, I don't need to 'worry'".

The video was very interesting. The younger one I'd say is definitely the more "confident" - "calm" - maybe even balanced? I don't know them and it's a short video. The hilarious fact that the older one gave up on the very ~ difficult sofa bone (hahaha) , then got the younger one's bone HANDED to him (kinda) then the younger one went and got the "difficult" bone out of the sofa OMG LOL." Like the younger one was eyerolling the older one! But wanting the older one to actually BE a leader (but it may be doubtful that he is a natural leader?).

I could make a case that the older one gave up on the sofa bone because he's not that confident? Of course I'm just piecing little things together based on 3 minutes.

I'd say the ear tug was an invitation to play but you ALSO see that in a group or pair when one dog is acting out and the calm one wants to calm the upset one down.

I'm going to watch it again after doing my morning dog walks because it's so cool all the little things and clues that I wish they could TALK to explain!

But you are definitely right about being careful.

I personally would NOT GIVE rawhide. It's a food item. Even though it's also a chew item to chew out anxiety. The big marrow bones are, too but they don't create the same competition, IME, once they are "dead". Also I always had bulldogs who aren't too bright and have a twisted up swallow so they end up slobbering them to a limp rag and getting them stuck all the way down the GI tract - like a giant tapeworm!

I only give Nylabones and like you, supervise all digestible stuff. And sometimes my clients dogs can't have Nylabones or toys when unsupervised, too.

It would be good to keep asserting yourself ongoing in this "play" with bones since they're so young so they BOTH continue to understand that YOU own everything! I'd probably also do WALKS to tire them out and get them in balance and enrichment outside and not so focused on making up stuff inside, if you aren't doing walks already. It's a magic pill AND pack/confidence building!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-14-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
683 posts, read 1,613,689 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well since you asked

What "concerned" me was the older one whining. I assumed he was looking at a human to the side? Or maybe you guys have a joke about that vocalizing or something? So it could be not such a big thing but I always get concerned with that.

But from just the short footage, as a dog walker/pet sitter I don't allow whining. That's anxiety. I "correct" it meaning I don't encourage it or reward it by petting them etc I say "hey" or "shhht" in a normal voice - maybe snap my fingers quick but always with the energy of calmly informing them of something. I interrupt that brain so they shut it off and move onto something more productive. OR think "OH OK, I don't need to 'worry'".

The video was very interesting. The younger one I'd say is definitely the more "confident" - "calm" - maybe even balanced? I don't know them and it's a short video. The hilarious fact that the older one gave up on the very ~ difficult sofa bone (hahaha) , then got the younger one's bone HANDED to him (kinda) then the younger one went and got the "difficult" bone out of the sofa OMG LOL." Like the younger one was eyerolling the older one! But wanting the older one to actually BE a leader (but it may be doubtful that he is a natural leader?).

I could make a case that the older one gave up on the sofa bone because he's not that confident? Of course I'm just piecing little things together based on 3 minutes.

I'd say the ear tug was an invitation to play but you ALSO see that in a group or pair when one dog is acting out and the calm one wants to calm the upset one down.

I'm going to watch it again after doing my morning dog walks because it's so cool all the little things and clues that I wish they could TALK to explain!

But you are definitely right about being careful.

I personally would NOT GIVE rawhide. It's a food item. Even though it's also a chew item to chew out anxiety. The big marrow bones are, too but they don't create the same competition, IME, once they are "dead". Also I always had bulldogs who aren't too bright and have a twisted up swallow so they end up slobbering them to a limp rag and getting them stuck all the way down the GI tract - like a giant tapeworm!

I only give Nylabones and like you, supervise all digestible stuff. And sometimes my clients dogs can't have Nylabones or toys when unsupervised, too.

It would be good to keep asserting yourself ongoing in this "play" with bones since they're so young so they BOTH continue to understand that YOU own everything! I'd probably also do WALKS to tire them out and get them in balance and enrichment outside and not so focused on making up stuff inside, if you aren't doing walks already. It's a magic pill AND pack/confidence building!
Thanks for all the info. One thing I find interesting is that I feed them together but in different bowls, but they both are turning out to be "pickers" neither of them typically eat all their food at once. I've noticed a lot lately that they both eat from each others' bowls and neither of them seem to care or mind. I guess that's a good thing that they aren't guarding food, but it worries me that maybe I shouldn't let them eat from the other's bowl in order to prevent guarding behavior?

The younger one seems to be a little defensive when he has treats but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM
 
39,450 posts, read 40,753,065 times
Reputation: 16253
I used to have a medium sized dog and a Dalmatian, the medium sized dog was older and the boss. One of the funniest things I ever saw with dogs was when the little one had this bone and the Dalmatian was off to the side. The Dalmatian is looking at the bone and you can tell he wanted it but every time the little one would look over towards him he'd turn his head away and look at the ceiling... It is kind of hard to describe and one of those things I guess you just had to be there but it was hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 PM
 
39,450 posts, read 40,753,065 times
Reputation: 16253
I used to have a medium sized dog and a Dalmatian, the medium sized dog was older and the boss. One of the funniest things I ever saw with dogs was when the little one had this bone and the Dalmatian was off to the side. The Dalmatian is looking at the bone and you can tell he wanted it but every time the little one would look over towards him he'd turn his head away and look at the ceiling... you could see him looking out of the corner of the eyes to see if the other dog was still looking at him. It is kind of hard to describe and one of those things I guess you just had to be there but it was hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
Reputation: 17199
Yeah I think that's a great thing - eating out of each other's bowls. I would definitely encourage eating out of ANY bowl and not allowing either one to own a specific bowl. I'd maybe even put the bowls in slightly different spots, too. Some people do free feed but others pick up the food if they don't eat. If I were going to leave the house for work I'd be removing the bows with multiple dogs.

I have a client with a Giant Pyr male and a Huskie female. They have designated bowls about 8 feet apart. She told me the Husky is a food guard with the Pyr but not humans. They pretty much ignore each other I've never seen them play together but they do romp in the yard in the same spots - the female following the male.

I'd say the Pyr is a doofus and the Huskie is a slightly sensitive/cautious but friendly dog. They're both a little "needy" especially if I encourage it during a visit. But if I say "Ok enough - go sit down", they will...and not take their eyes off me LOL. The Pyr will go stretch out on the sofa and the Huskie will move about 4 feet away. It's funny you can even tell from that who's the more needy one. Of course it could be that it's because the owners are gone and they're interested in the "new person". But not all dogs act that way. Most of them will want to play together, bring me toys, and do stuff but these two just want "petting". So I switch that off after a few minutes because I don't want any competition to stir things up.

The Pyr eats it all but the Huskie is a grazer and picks throughout the day.

The owner says never had a real fight. Until she boarded them together and they were in the same room. There was a fight and the Huskie ended up with a bloody eye injury. She's alot smaller than the Pyr.

When they come up to me, like if I sit in a chair they both take different sides. Even standing up - they are NEVER side by side, there's a distinct line between them. That's why I think "pack walks" are really good and these two would have benefited from that bond but I'd never say anything to the people since it's not my place and they never asked for my opinion haha.

Anyway, it sounds like your two are just fun loving and pretty easy going but I think you're smart to keep an eye out on it like you're doing. Cuz they're young. The change to picking/grazing I'd notice too and probably cut back on edible treats. I always think they need to WANT food not be living in the luxurious Hilton Cesar Millan says they need to earn the food and so I try and not feed until they at least go out and do something in the yard since I don't do "walks" with them. The owners never really do that and I'm not about to take on an incident in the neighborhood with away from home visits and two powerful dogs that I'm guessing would be tough to "teach" the benefits of walking on the occasional times I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top