U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,512,205 times

Advertisements

Jumpy The Dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,080,041 times
That is an amazing dog, super smart.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 AM

6,021 posts, read 13,542,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
It's a border collie. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a video out there of a border collie doing calculus. I'm 99% sure that some of those dogs are smarter than a large chunk of people out there.

And to think, I was so proud of myself for teaching Bella "down" with hand signals...

Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,842,915 times
Oh yah it's real, and yes BC's are smarter than most humans. My fairer and my vet have them but they have jobs as all BC's need to have, they don't make good pets unless you are an experienced dog trainer with a LOT of time to devote to this breed. I know I could never own one...they don't have an off button. I've been very lucky to see them at work herding...amazing. But way way too much dog for me.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM

3,854 posts, read 5,303,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Oh yah it's real, and yes BC's are smarter than most humans. My fairer and my vet have them but they have jobs as all BC's need to have, they don't make good pets unless you are an experienced dog trainer with a LOT of time to devote to this breed. I know I could never own one...they don't have an off button. I've been very lucky to see them at work herding...amazing. But way way too much dog for me.
^^ THIS. I've read that the Border Collie is one of the smartest breeds, near the top, actually.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times
Remember Chaser?

World Smartest Dog? A New NOVA Special Shows a Border Collie That Can Identify More Than 1,000 Items - ABC News

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,632,183 times
Yep. It's for real. BC's are super intelligent and very athletic. But like a previous poster said, they don't have an "off switch". They are definitely a breed for an experienced dog person with lots of time.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,584,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Yes, I posted this video last week. It's real. Jumpy reminds me so much of Jimmy, our boy who we lost after Chrsitmas. Same face, and Jim knew quite a few of those commands and was an extremely quick study. He was especially good at toy names. I'd say a toy name a few times, and he knew it forever. I could say, Jimmy, go UPSTAIRS to the BEDROOM and get your BLUE KONG, and he'd do it. Not the red kong, not the white kong -- the blue one. Nol, he didn't choose it by the color; he just knew that was that toy's name. And I only had to say it once. Jim was a border collie mix, far and away the smartest pooch I've ever had the privelege of being owned by.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,178,066 times
My Jazz was a border collie X cattle dog and Jumpy reminds me a lot of her in his build and his eager ready to please you, what do yo want me to do next attitude. Jazz too knew tons of words, knew most of her many many toys by name, knew tons of tricks loved to study things that moved and figure out how to do things. She would not just chase things but study them such as if she bumped a door and it moved for the next half hour she would be pushing it back and forth and looking to see why it moved like that, skate boards she would move along with a paw but have her head tucked down trying to see under them to see how they moved etc anything that moved fascinated her. At my parents I once used a hula hoop to pull a ball in closer to the edge of the pool so she could get it later when her ball was out too far she got the hula hoop and used it the same way I did. And they say animals can not think or use tools We all got use to that trick but when my uncle who is a very intelligent man was visiting my parents and I was down there with the dogs he was out back with the dogs and Jazz got him to toss her ball in to the pool and he tossed it too far. Jazz ran over grabbed her hula hoop and tried to get the ball in the hoop so she could pull it in. My uncle almost had a stroke as he could not believe what he was seeing and he came running in telling everyone they had to come see this! By then that was an old trick for the rest of us.

I have many friends with border collies and most thought she was smarter then their dogs and so smart it was a bit freaky at times. She was by far the smartest dog I have ever known and probably will ever own. She was not an easy dog to own but I enjoyed her and know she was my once in a life time dog and the relationship I had with her was just so different. Teaching such dogs tricks helps mentally stimulate them and they need that as much as they need the physical exercise and saddly many owners just do not get that I miss her everyday but am thankful I had her for 14.5 years. R.I.P. my sweet Jazz

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

3,827 posts, read 3,512,205 times
Great stories dash and Tina!!!!
They sound like 1 in a million kinda dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs