Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM

95 posts, read 308,817 times

Advertisements

Does it get smaller as they age? I remember my boy used to eat 2 or 3 times a day. Basically whenever I put food down, he'll eat it all. Now, he sniffs it and walks away. I try not to make food available whenever. We put it down when we think it's "time" to eat. He does not beg for food when we eat. He eats almost anything that we deem safe for him... he would eat carrot, strawberry, watermelon (seedless), cantalope... chicken, beef, duck... Today, I chopped beef into tiny bits and saute it with just a small pinch of salt and mix it together with his dog kibbles. He loves it!!!

Is it normal that he does not eat one in the morning and really later in the evening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
How old is your dog? How old is the bag of kibble, and does it still smell ok?

Some dogs can definitely be picky, but I would be a little suspicious of a dog suddenly refusing a food they used to happily eat.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietlOtUs View Post
Does it get smaller as they age? I remember my boy used to eat 2 or 3 times a day. Basically whenever I put food down, he'll eat it all. Now, he sniffs it and walks away. I try not to make food available whenever. We put it down when we think it's "time" to eat. He does not beg for food when we eat. He eats almost anything that we deem safe for him... he would eat carrot, strawberry, watermelon (seedless), cantalope... chicken, beef, duck... Today, I chopped beef into tiny bits and saute it with just a small pinch of salt and mix it together with his dog kibbles. He loves it!!!

Is it normal that he does not eat one in the morning and really later in the evening?
First of all, he's eating (good sign) he may not be hungry in the morning unless you offer the steak (HA!) However it is summer-time and my dogs eat less this time of year (even though they are inside dogs.)

Since you choose not to "free feed" (leaving their kibble bowl down all the time) if he turns his nose up to it in the morning but eats later when you put it down, I would not worry too much, as long as he is eating. It is when he refuses food all together that there is an issue, such as the previous post with checking his kibble bag or if necessary get the vet to check him out.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times
My dog, Judy, did this once in a while when she was the only dog. She is a picky eater and for most of her life refused most canned dog food, now at 9 she's decided it's great and won't eat kibble unless I mix it with canned food. Go figure.

Have you checked your dogs teeth? I wouldn't think of it except my cat just had two of his canine teeth extracted and the only way I realized he had a problem was he lost weight. It could also be that he's just tired of the same old stuff, or as LuvABull mentioned the food might be stale. Judy used to tip her bowl over and dump her food when it was stale, although it wasn't past the date on the bag it was past HER expiration date apparently.

If the dog is acting normally otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned but I'd watch closely for other behaviors and signs of illness. Changes in behaviour require a closer look.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Age has nothing to do with appetite. No eating or being picky when dog usually eats well...CALL THE VET

Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 AM

95 posts, read 308,817 times
I thought they eat less as the get older. Noah is 8 months, shih tzu. His baby canines haven't fall out yet. I'll keep an eye on him.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
At 8 months old extra teeth you do need a vet.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
At 8 months old extra teeth you do need a vet.
Yes, I agree. At 8 months, a puppy should have his adult teeth -- all of them. Our Teddy got his adult canines last month when he was five months old. That's the same all the pups I've ever had have cut their adult teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs