Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I have my dog accustomed to his crate but when out of the crate, I prefer him to be in his bed instead of the floor so he doesn't get hurt (accidentally get stepped on by someone since he lies down behind the couch).

I couldn't figure out a better way. I have had his treats given to him in it and his Nylabone.

I had his leash attached to a chair just so it (the bed) would be the most comfortable thing to lie down in. He grumbled and growled but later took a 'cat nap'. I want him to feel like it is the next best thing to the crate.

How should I refer to the crate versus the bed? I hope one day if potty trained, he will sleep in the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
My dogs sleep in multiple places....some I chose for them, others they chose on their own.

I'd lay some favorite toys on it. When he goes to investigate the toys, he might plop right down and start using the new bed.

Also, if there's any way to "move" his scent to the new bed......maybe a blanket with his scent that you could lay on the bed? or even rub his crate bed against the new bed?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I don't use a crate, and like riveree, my dog pretty much chooses his sleeping spot... he's next to me on the bed right now, LOL. Is your dog a small breed? I'm assuming he is, since you're worried about him being stepped on! Mine is a bit larger (40 lbs.), so that's not as much of a concern. Anyway, I don't really know if there's a way to force him to like a bed... my dog never uses his, so I guess they prefer the floor or bed/couch. Just try to find his favorite area of the house, and leave it there for a while - hopefully he'll decide to use it on his own. Rudy does know the command "go to your bed," which I guess you could teach your dog, but he only stays for a second before moving on. You could also try a different type of bed, since it could be that he doesn't like that particular one... experimenting with beds can get expensive, though!

Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
\ but he only stays for a second before moving on. You could also try a different type of bed, since it could be that he doesn't like that particular one... experimenting with beds can get expensive, though!
Ditto.

I don't feel like experimenting with different beds, either.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Also, if there's any way to "move" his scent to the new bed......maybe a blanket with his scent that you could lay on the bed? or even rub his crate bed against the new bed?
How about rub the dog against the new bed? Just kidding.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Spot sleeps in his crate or where ever else he wants. I think it's related to temperature and where we are. First choice is in the bed and second is the crate. His doggy bed is way down the list. I don't have to worry about Spot being stepped on because he is 75lbs.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
My two sleep on the floor, on the couch and well just about where ever they want. At night though we're all in our bed

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Now that the weather is cool, my dog likes to find a sunny spot on the floor. If your dog does the same, you might try putting the bed where the sun can warm him.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
If we got a doggie bed.....the spoiled mutts would make us use it.....no thanks...we'll share with them n the cats......

Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
Some dogs just don't prefer beds. My younger guy has one and we had one for the older one too and he never used it, so I gave it to my mom when she got her dog, and he hasn't missed it. Every once in a while, he will be weird and go lay in the other dogs bed, I don't know if it's to annoy him or just to confuse me He prefers to lay on the tile though, I know it's cooler, and I don't know if that's the reason or not, but he just doesn't like to have a bed (though he is not opposed to sleeping in ours with me when my husband isn't home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs