U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,471,328 times

Advertisements

by MOCKINGBIRDS!!!!
This is crazy!
No matter which street we take, they are buzzing us. It sounds almost like growling by them. My little dog is quick, so she's managed to not get hit by one yet. But they swoop down to the ground after her.
And one got me on the shoulder today.

Anyone know of some kind of Mockingbird Repellent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,542,288 times
They dive bomb me and scold me in my own yard -- I hate mockingbirds. More than once while I was watering, I've turned the hose on them when they get too close. But you can't do that on your walks. You are obviously near their turf, so what if you took a different route?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
This is so fascinating I decided to research it.

Sounds like you're out of luck because they've identified you as a threat and they remember you!

Quote:
If you've ever been attacked by mockingbirds, better wear a disguise to avoid another attack, for they can remember your face and go after you if they perceive you as a threat. According to some scientists, the grey-and-white birds, often found in cities and other urban areas, can distinguish between different people. Unless you implement effective bird control measures, they will dive bomb you if you've threatened them in the past.

The clever mockingbirds essentially have a sort of built-in "face recognition" ability. They will screech, dive bomb and even graze the top of your head while ignoring those standing next to you.

Read more here: Bird Control when Mockingbirds Attack - Bird Control Update | Bird-B-Gone, Inc

Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
This article says there's a four week window when they will attack:

Quote:
Mockingbirds are notorious for making nests in bushes or small trees near sidewalks, then dive-bombing pedestrians thinking they are in their territory and a threat to their nest. If this is happening for the first time, and a nest has already been made, you may have to avoid the area until the young have left the nest.

Eggs hatch in two weeks, and young leave the nest two more weeks after that

Why is a mockingbird attacking people walking down the sidewalk? What can I do about it? | National Audubon Society Birds

Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,471,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is so fascinating I decided to research it.

Sounds like you're out of luck because they've identified you as a threat and they remember you!
Great - I'll have to wear a fake mustache & nose? What about the dog - dress her like a bunny?

It's really not funny beause no matter which street in our development I walk, I've been attacked. Exactly as described in those articles. Great - so I can't walk her outside for another 4 weeks!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,386,044 times
Carry an umbrella with a quick pop open to flare out as they charge. This worked for me when I had some after me on my dog walks.....

Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
I remember on the Dick Van Dyke show a mockingbird kept going after their son. Thanks for the memories HEHEHE

Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,704,572 times
Hehe I appreciate them...amazes me every year when they nest and are able to control the movement of 5 active dogs in the yard more effectively than I could ever hope to. The dogs will completely avoid that section of yard and constantly keep looking over their shoulders in the other areas. Its pretty darn funny to watch!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,680,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Carry an umbrella with a quick pop open to flare out as they charge. This worked for me when I had some after me on my dog walks.....
This is what I was going to suggest.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,005,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Hehe I appreciate them...amazes me every year when they nest and are able to control the movement of 5 active dogs in the yard more effectively than I could ever hope to. The dogs will completely avoid that section of yard and constantly keep looking over their shoulders in the other areas. Its pretty darn funny to watch!
Too funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs